Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derek Chapman has a swipe at DK

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
LI showing his true colours again........

Feb 14, 2010
Not sure what stake DK has in the Albion but I think its less than 10%? If so, then if Bloom did sell then I think the new buyer (if they bought 90% from Bloom) under the takeover rules would be able to force the minority shareholders to sell. As such the DK share sale seems to have little meaningful significance.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not sure what stake DK has in the Albion but I think its less than 10%? If so, then if Bloom did sell then I think the new buyer (if they bought 90% from Bloom) under the takeover rules would be able to force the minority shareholders to sell. As such the DK share sale seems to have little meaningful significance.

DK holds about 1.5%

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Even if someone was stupid enough to buy all million shares it would get him absolutely nothing bar a piece of paper saying you owned a million shares

So why are there so many posters apparently anti any sale? If the shares are as worthless as you suggest then it'll make no difference who they are sold to or even if they are sold - don't know why people are getting so worked up over them ???

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Having over the last few days digested all that has been written and posted my conclusion is.......

Dick Knight should and always continue to be thanked for his intervention when our club most needed it. He did however over a period of time become less of a main player in terms of financing the club. Due to fact he was not a wealthy man in terms of football club ownership and given the exceptional circumstances the club found itself in, he increasingly become a spokesman for other peoples money. This didn't sit easily with his ego. Control is a funny animal. He always maintained that no one person should ever have total control over the club ever again. To me and many others it appeared rather a contradictory thing to say as he appeared to be running the show on his own desires.

It became apparent some time ago that we were desperate for more investment and so TB started to release funds. In regard to the stadium, it must have been DK's worst fairytale/nightmare knowing that on one hand you are near to achieving your ambition but on the other knowing there is no way you can financially afford it. There was never any chance of bank funding, it would have spelt bankruptcy aka Leicester and the Walkers Stadium. Without knowing the details I'm pretty confident TB was always going to support the stadium build but DK resisted the announcement and attempted to hold on to his power.

What with the book, the counter from other parties but the silence from TB I know who comes out best from this episode and it's certainly not the grey old man.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
How many copies is this book actually going to sell? 5'000? 10'000?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Having over the last few days digested all that has been written and posted my conclusion is.......

Dick Knight should and always continue to be thanked for his intervention when our club most needed it. He did however over a period of time become less of a main player in terms of financing the club. Due to fact he was not a wealthy man in terms of football club ownership and given the exceptional circumstances the club found itself in, he increasingly become a spokesman for other peoples money. This didn't sit easily with his ego. Control is a funny animal. He always maintained that no one person should ever have total control over the club ever again. To me and many others it appeared rather a contradictory thing to say as he appeared to be running the show on his own desires.

It became apparent some time ago that we were desperate for more investment and so TB started to release funds. In regard to the stadium, it must have been DK's worst fairytale/nightmare knowing that on one hand you are near to achieving your ambition but on the other knowing there is no way you can financially afford it. There was never any chance of bank funding, it would have spelt bankruptcy aka Leicester and the Walkers Stadium. Without knowing the details I'm pretty confident TB was always going to support the stadium build but DK resisted the announcement and attempted to hold on to his power.

What with the book, the counter from other parties but the silence from TB I know who comes out best from this episode and it's certainly not the grey old man.

I can see how it is possible to hold such views but closer examination shows everything is not as simple as you make out.

For instance DK's desire was always that no one man would never have total control over the club in terms of ownership - DK patently didn't and never took more than 49.5% of the shares in the club which meant ultimately that he had no choice as to when his tenure would end.

Not sure where you get the idea from that DK resisted any announcement regarding TB's financial commitment to help finance the building of the stadium nor that DK attempted to hold on to power - from what I have read in the book and understand from previous statements DK understood totally that TB would take control of the club, it was simply the timing that was in question.

The whole tone of the book when dealing with this period in the club's history is actually very temperate, perhaps so much so that those who opposed the whole idea of DK writing a book have had to hype up any controversy to justify their position.

TB's silence, PB's and DC's statements and DK's 'talks' at the book launches have all been very dignified in my opinion unlike some of the attitudes expressed regarding these.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I can see how it is possible to hold such views but closer examination shows everything is not as simple as you make out.

For instance DK's desire was always that no one man would never have total control over the club in terms of ownership - DK patently didn't and never took more than 49.5% of the shares in the club which meant ultimately that he had no choice as to when his tenure would end.

Not sure where you get the idea from that DK resisted any announcement regarding TB's financial commitment to help finance the building of the stadium nor that DK attempted to hold on to power - from what I have read in the book and understand from previous statements DK understood totally that TB would take control of the club, it was simply the timing that was in question.

The whole tone of the book when dealing with this period in the club's history is actually very temperate, perhaps so much so that those who opposed the whole idea of DK writing a book have had to hype up any controversy to justify their position.

TB's silence, PB's and DC's statements and DK's 'talks' at the book launches have all been very dignified in my opinion unlike some of the attitudes expressed regarding these.

Ownership and running the club are slightly different entities.

DK always stated banks and grants would fund the stadium, complete fantasy.

DK did attempt to hold on to power as alluded to by DC. And your statement contradicts your answer in regard to timing. (Holding on power until completion of stadium is er.....holding on to power)

Never mentioned anything about dignity but as you mention it only one has been, so far completely dignified added to which his ownership has been that in its entirety, including the Poyet situation.

I've no axe to grind and am thankful for all those who helped my club down the years but am only commenting on things as I see it. I could add much more as I have a load more knowledge on the subject but don't wish too.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I could add much more as I have a load more knowledge on the subject but don't wish too.

So why mention it ???

So you don't think I'm only posting on recent "revelations" but have a deeper knowledge of the issue. Not being controversial or such thing but I attempted to summarise my thoughts instead of writing a boring thesis.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ownership and running the club are slightly different entities.

DK always stated banks and grants would fund the stadium, complete fantasy.

DK did attempt to hold on to power as alluded to by DC. And your statement contradicts your answer in regard to timing. (Holding on power until completion of stadium is er.....holding on to power)

Never mentioned anything about dignity but as you mention it only one has been, so far completely dignified added to which his ownership has been that in its entirety, including the Poyet situation.

I've no axe to grind and am thankful for all those who helped my club down the years but am only commenting on things as I see it. I could add much more as I have a load more knowledge on the subject but don't wish too.

He didn't state that banks & grants would fund the stadium, he said the finances were in places including grants. There is a subtle difference. The planning permission was dependant on finances being available. Of course the board weren't going to reveal a fallback on TB if the banks wouldn't finance some of it, which was why MP & DK were so coy at Hove town hall Gwen questioned about it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He didn't state that banks & grants would fund the stadium, he said the finances were in places including grants. There is a subtle difference. The planning permission was dependant on finances being available. Of course the board weren't going to reveal a fallback on TB if the banks wouldn't finance some of it, which was why MP & DK were so coy at Hove town hall Gwen questioned about it.

I don't understand why you think they wouldn't confirm that the whole stadium was fully financed if that helped secure the planning permission. In other words, why would the council be more likely not to grant the application if it was clear TB was going to fund a shortfall, if not all, of the cost. At the time anyone could have seen that to borrow the money commercially would leave the club up to their armpits in debt and as such could have put the whole project in doubt, ie if the council thought the debt unserviceable they might be concerned that they would be left with a massive white elephant in Falmer and the Albion having gone through several 'administrations' playing back at withdean at the very best!

They were probably coy because at that point, they still had secured the funding they thought they might get from the banks!

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Went to the Lewes book signing last night. Dick seems genuinely hurt about the recent comments. I do think it's very disrespectful to come out and say all of this when he's a living legend at our club.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Blimey that's how to miss the point, in style.

Do you honestly believe only 1000 (ish) fans would take DK up on his 'generous' offer to sell worthless shares for a pound each.

How would LI's admin team cope with 10,000 share holders, what about 27,500 share holders.
Best not forget their children, 50,000 share holders.
Hell they are only a pound each, how about 100,000 share holders.

Surely it's just compiling a database which will be fairly simple. As long as they get everyone's email address, the communication will cost them next to nothing.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

If that is true, that's not great. Potentially only owning the shares while Tony owns his. Would they be bought for the pound paid, or could it be for example at 10p per share ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here