Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derek Chapman has a swipe at DK

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So you are writing off TB's ability to pull the finances of the club round at some time in the future - I think I have more faith in his abilities than that.

To the tune of being able to repay £120 million? Yes I have no faith in that.

Even if we are promoted to the Premier League, 16 clubs out of 20 made losses, 21 clubs in the Championship out of 24 lost money. I think Paul Barber and his team can reduce the losses, but not turn it into a viable profitable business that will generate enough to repay all the loans.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Hmmmm

"According to financial recruiter Marks Sattin has said 58 per cent of the companies have an accountant or someone with financial services background running them compared to 24 per cent the mid 1990s. Fully qualified accounting chairman or CEOs, account for 40 per cent of FTSE100 company leaders"

Has that 58% been based on EITHER the chairman or CEO having a financial background? - if so then I'm not sure it would be good maths let alone good accountancy practice to claim that 58% of companies are run by someone with a financial background.

My understanding of that is that 40% of companies are run by people with an accounting qualification, and a further 18% by someone with a financial qualification that is not in accounting.

I think however that 100% of them have a financial director.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Hmmmm

"According to financial recruiter Marks Sattin has said 58 per cent of the companies have an accountant or someone with financial services background running them compared to 24 per cent the mid 1990s. Fully qualified accounting chairman or CEOs, account for 40 per cent of FTSE100 company leaders"

Has that 58% been based on EITHER the chairman or CEO having a financial background? - if so then I'm not sure it would be good maths let alone good accountancy practice to claim that 58% of companies are run by someone with a financial background.

Jesus wept. Are you London Irish under a second account?

The CEO and Chairman are the most senior positions within a PLC. One runs the day-to-day business and the other chairs the board who make the big strategic decisions on keeping the company competitive. Which ever way you paint it, and it's clear you're trying to rubbish this report - accountants make up a very significant proportion of businessmen running Britain's very biggest companies.

Let's look at another quote from that article shall we?

.“We are seeing more accountants moving out of the backrooms and into the boardroom. In the boom years, a CEO with marketing experience may have been valued for his ability to build a brand. Now in the period post-recession, accountants’ firm grasp of financial issues and ability to provide reliable, sensible expertise greatly improves their prospects.”

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Yes, me. I apologise for my part in dragging this down.

I saw the way it was going last night and decided to say no more.

I thought the same as you about LI/Creaky, aren't they/him effectively just trolling now?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
So you are writing off TB's ability to pull the finances of the club round at some time in the future - I think I have more faith in his abilities than that.

To the tune of being able to repay £120 million? Yes I have no faith in that.

Even if we are promoted to the Premier League, 16 clubs out of 20 made losses, 21 clubs in the Championship out of 24 lost money. I think Paul Barber and his team can reduce the losses, but not turn it into a viable profitable business. so there will never be enough to repay all the loans.

On that basis I would have to accept your analogy of a "bucket of poo" but of course you have not included in the above further development of the site that I believe TB has in mind and will be carried out under the umbrella of the BHA Holding company.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I saw the way it was going last night and decided to say no more.

I thought the same as you about LI/Creaky, aren't they/him effectively just trolling now?
I genuinely believe Creaky is trying to cut through what he perceives is accountancy bullshit although it seems as clear as it could be from where I'm sitting. :shrug:

Naturally, that won't be LI's motive. He got found out by asking the dumb question "then why didn't TB just gift the loan", received a well thought out riposte by somebody qualified in accountancy, and then spent the next two pages pompously arguing his flawed position rather than backing down graciously. It's all he ever does. I really can't believe such a clueless goon has the cheek to pass himself off as a financial journalist. He can't be?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Jesus wept. Are you London Irish under a second account?

The CEO and Chairman are the most senior positions within a PLC. One runs the day-to-day business and the other chairs the board who make the big strategic decisions on keeping the company competitive. Which ever way you paint it, and it's clear you're trying to rubbish this report - accountants make up a very significant proportion of businessmen running Britain's very biggest companies.

Let's look at another quote from that article shall we?

.“We are seeing more accountants moving out of the backrooms and into the boardroom. In the boom years, a CEO with marketing experience may have been valued for his ability to build a brand. Now in the period post-recession, accountants’ firm grasp of financial issues and ability to provide reliable, sensible expertise greatly improves their prospects.”

Excuse me but if 58% of EITHER the CEO or Chairman are acountants that does NOT mean that 58% of companies are run by accountants!

The 100 FTSE100 companies will have 100 chairmen and 100 CEOs - that's 200 people.

58% of EITHER chairmen or CEOs of 100 companies could be as few as 58 people.

58 out of 200 people is 29%

So no I'm not rubbishing the report I am rubbishing the claim that 58% of the top 100 companies are run by people with a financial background.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Excuse me but if 58% of EITHER the CEO or Chairman are acountants that does NOT mean that 58% of companies are run by accountants!

The 100 FTSE100 companies will have 100 chairmen and 100 CEOs - that's 200 people.

58% of EITHER chairmen or CEOs of 100 companies could be as few as 58 people.

58 out of 200 people is 29%

So no I'm not rubbishing the report I am rubbishing the claim that 58% of the top 100 companies are run by people with a financial background.

It doesn't say 58% of the people who run companies have financial background, it says 58% of the companies have someone with a financial background running them.

If you have 100 companies, each with a CEO and a chairman, there are 200 people "running" 100 companies. If 58 of the companies has either a CEO or a chairman with a financial background that is only 58 of 200 people (29%) that have financial background, but they account for 58 of 100 companies (58%).

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not a bad idea at all. I'm sure we could secure the required funding.

Maybe we should ask Creaky how we should raise the money ? On second thoughts I'd rather chew my leg off.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
It doesn't say 58% of the people who run companies have financial background, it says 58% of the companies have someone with a financial background running them.

If you have 100 companies, each with a CEO and a chairman, there are 200 people "running" 100 companies. If 58 of the companies has either a CEO or a chairman with a financial background that is only 58 of 200 people (29%) that have financial background, but they account for 58 of 100 companies (58%).

On that basis you have 142 people with a non-financial background running 100 companies (100%) !!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here