Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derek Chapman has a swipe at DK

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why do people keep saying that Derek Chapman hasn't read the book? All he's saying is that he hasn't bought his own copy. Having a small pile of them on hand in the office would be one of the perks of being a director of Brighton & Hove Albion.

It appears that DK didn't give the club any copies.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'm not sure; what was in the posts?

Clearly the posts content were removed and cannot be repeated.

It's fair to say that a libelous allegation was made by someone about somebody else, and the target of the slur pointed out the legal position, and required the post content to be deleted.

I remember one of the posts in question - a blatant statement of fact about someone's character - so quite reasonable to insist it was removed, at the end of the day it shouldn't have been posted in the first place.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
But I did once notice that he dunks his biscuits, and how can you not warm to such a man?

Oh no! I have a real problem with dunking biscuits that goes back to being traumatised by my Mum and a school friend of mine (it's not anywhere near as pervy as it sounds btw). My wife dunks despite me telling her it's the work of the Devil. Tony, you've let me down. I shall have to try to remember to come back on here in 15 to 20 years to slag you off now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Clearly the posts content were removed and cannot be repeated.

It's fair to say that a libelous allegation was made by someone about somebody else, and the target of the slur pointed out the legal position, and required the post content to be deleted.

I remember one of the posts in question - a blatant statement of fact about someone's character - so quite reasonable to insist it was removed, at the end of the day it shouldn't have been posted in the first place.

The recent case where Bozza was threatened, I agree with you, but if you ask Lord Bracknell what it was that was so upsetting, I doubt he could even work it out. He said as much in the last few days.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Azure didn't supply rich tea for Paul Barber's inauguration? that was criminal - it's like the pope drinking champagne and eating caviar. No wonder they were binned.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The recent case where Bozza was threatened, I agree with you, but if you ask Lord Bracknell what it was that was so upsetting, I doubt he could even work it out. He said as much in the last few days.

Sorry, I should have been clear - I wasn't commenting at all on anything to do with Lord Bracknell. To be honest I don't know anything about what that might relate to.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Azure didn't supply rich tea for Paul Barber's inauguration? that was criminal - it's like the pope drinking champagne and eating caviar. No wonder they were binned.

Ok, I was planning to let the biscuit dunking thing go after Not Andy Naylor's last post in response to mine, but since both you, ROSM, and Hungry Joe have both responded further, I feel compelled to comment further on the revelation that TB dunks.

Hungry Joe is obviously a heathen. Any person who claims not to like dunking their biscuits is clearly either a liar or so deluded that he should in fact be supporting another team; perhaps one propping up the PL. His opinions on this and any other topic can now safely be ignored. In fact, he might just be the first person to be put on my official ignore list.

I think both you, ROSM, and Not Andy Naylor have missed the critical point in your analyses. Yes, it's possibly true that Azure did not provide Rich Tea for dunking, but, I ask you, who was Chairman of the club at the time, huh? Do you not think that if TB had said to Azure "I dunk. It must be Rich Tea." that Rich Tea would have been provided? Hmmm?

No, TB showed shocking dereliction of duty in not ensuring that Rich Tea were available. I only hope that he doesn't run Board meetings in such a shoddy way.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Hungry Joe is obviously a heathen. Any person who claims not to like dunking their biscuits is clearly either a liar or so deluded that he should in fact be supporting another team; perhaps one propping up the PL. His opinions on this and any other topic can now safely be ignored. In fact, he might just be the first person to be put on my official ignore list.

I may well need counselling, but it really is all my Mum and young James' fault. He used to make such a mess in and around his mug dunking whilst we were playing soldiers that my Mum banned him from the house and made me scrape out the sodden biscuit goo from his mugs. If it's a choice between years of therapy and switching to The Nigels then so be it, therapy here I come.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
To be honest, I think this sort of private conversation stuff is best kept out of the public eye, but Derek now seems to be taking a different view, so - rather recklessly, maybe - I've joined in.

I have no "role" at all - and thought it a bit odd when Derek spilled those particular beans. But let's not make too much of this. All large and complex organisations have their spats from time to time, and the Albion is no different. They get resolved and people move on. I dare say that there are lots of people who might be able to pitch in with comments about various parts of DK's book. where they saw events from a slightly different perspective. Hopefully, at the end of the day, issues settle down and good relationships are re-established. In the meantime, though, there might be a few bumpy moments.

This is one of them.

Do you know something LB, you are a well respected poster on NSC and in the main I have plenty of time for you and what you say but it grates with me how you open these little cans of worms and then finish up with the "I hope good relations are re-established routines" before closing the tin back up. Sometimes you're like a name dropper of the worst kind and maybe if Derek Chapman rang you instead of NSC then maybe it wasn't for public discussion. I trust he is a friend of yours or he thinks you a representative of the fans if not.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I do know that DK was distraught when he heard, the afternoon before, the day of the Burgess Hill book signing, what the Argus was intending to do. Efforts were made to stop them doing what they did.

I realise this is all a bit of a side issue, but I can't understand why Dick would be distraught at a portion of his book being quoted in the county's only daily newspaper. I thought he was on a PR offensive to sell a book? Or am I missing something?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I realise this is all a bit of a side issue, but I can't understand why Dick would be distraught at a portion of his book being quoted in the county's only daily newspaper. I thought he was on a PR offensive to sell a book? Or am I missing something?

Why should I buy the book if the only bit I'm interested in has been reprinted in the Argus?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Excuse me if I've missed something.

Where was the voice of the fans during DK's tenure ?

I agree wholeheartedly with his no one man should control the club, but at this moment in time no one does so I find the desire for him to sell his shares baffling. I'm sure he has his reasons but you can see why many on this thread are accusing him of mischief making.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Dick Knight should forever go down as an Albion legend, no doubt about it. But he is coming across like a bitter ex wife, who saved someone from the brink of despair 15 years ago. Nursed them back to some sort of health and got them back on their feet. The marriage ended with a little bad blood, but she could see he had out grown her and fell for someone else, who he could go onto bigger and better things with....Now years later she see him with a lovely house, fast cars and flash holidays and is jealous beyond belief, because she somehow thinks she deserves more than a Christmas card and a polite hello, despite having years of nothing but praise and respect from everyone.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Are you of the same opinion regarding TB? ???

Has DC expressed "amazement" that TB has put millions in the club by way of a loan rather than a gift?

I doubt DK or any of the others who worked so hard for the club expected any of their money back at the time it was put into the club - they didn't enter the amounts into the club's books as a loan. That doesn't mean that it wasn't reasonable to ask for some back when they handed over control to TB.

So what your saying is because TB has taken over and has some money he should now give some to Dick because he has basically done a big flounce and thrown his toys out of the pram ... What if some-one a little less able had taken over would you be demanding Dick's money back then

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
So what your saying is because TB has taken over and has some money he should now give some to Dick because he has basically done a big flounce and thrown his toys out of the pram ... What if some-one a little less able had taken over would you be demanding Dick's money back then

You're not reading my post in the way it was intended - my fault.

The point I was making was that DC expressed "amazement" that DK wanted some of his money back when he handed over control but has made no comment about the fact that TB has put a proportion of the money he has put into the club in such a way that should he ever hand over the club to A.N. Other he could demand his money back, not just request it back.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
You're not reading my post in the way it was intended - my fault.

The point I was making was that DC expressed "amazement" that DK wanted some of his money back when he handed over control but has made no comment about the fact that TB has put a proportion of the money he has put into the club in such a way that should he ever hand over the club to A.N. Other he could demand his money back, not just request it back.

Ok maybe I misinterpreted it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here