Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derek Chapman has a swipe at DK

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
What a messy, undignified ending to DK's association with our club.

:nono:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Seems to be lots of people on here jumping on what people THINK Dick Knight has written or is saying or suggesting, without having actually read the book to find out what he actually does say.

Or perhaps feared he had written.

There are a few things in the article today that made me laugh. One was the but when he described 8 hour board meetings. It didn't seem to correlate with the later statement that nobody else was consulted on anything.

As for the piece around Knight wanting his money back. I wonder how altruistic say Derek Chapman would be if he was told that he could no longer be a director and would be allowed hospitality and a seat in the directors box?

To clarify I think DC is an all round good guy and a real fan. And I know how many hours he has put in unpaid for the club. A true legend.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
To clarify I think DC is an all round good guy and a real fan. And I know how many hours he has put in unpaid for the club. A true legend.

I don't know why people feel the need to make these statements. The implication seems to be that if you disagree with DK that you don't think he's as you describe. DC pays tribute to DK in that article too. It's not a black and white issue.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I don't know why people feel the need to make these statements. The implication seems to be that if you disagree with DK that you don't think he's as you describe. DC pays tribute to DK in that article too. It's not a black and white issue.

This is what I don't understand either. There seem to be some very sensitive people on this board when it comes to DK who are acting like apologists and super fans in equal measure. Very odd.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Or perhaps feared he had written.

There are a few things in the article today that made me laugh. One was the but when he described 8 hour board meetings. It didn't seem to correlate with the later statement that nobody else was consulted on anything.

Well, I'm sure we've been in meetings where the illusion is given of everyone's views being important, but in reality the decisions get taken unilaterally. I can fully imagine a scenario where board meetings might drag on aimlessly for hours and in between times the chairman was making big decisions without going back to the other directors every time. Sometimes that's a good way to run an organisation and sometimes it isn't. The important thing is that everyone understands the system.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This is what I don't understand either. There seem to be some very sensitive people on this board when it comes to DK who are acting like apologists and super fans in equal measure. Very odd.

You've answered your own question.

Accusations of being 'apologists' and 'super fans' - meaningless statements in themselves - tend to make people qualify their statements when, as Buzzer says, they don't need to. From your posts, it's not much of a leap to ascertain that for you, it is black and white.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Exactly. All Albion fans owe a huge debt of gratitude to DK, MP, DC, TB, RB and plenty of others. Whether anyone else could or couldn't have done the same, these people did what they did and if we think some of them could have behaved differently on a very few occasions, then if we look carefully in the mirror we'll think the same about ourselves too. Let him who is without sin, etc.

Just as there are some fans whose dedication to the cause went way beyond the call of duty. I don't think they would consider themselves 'super fans,' but IMHO it makes their opinions worth listening to because in many cases they were there and I wasn't.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Accusations of being 'apologists' and 'super fans' - meaningless statements in themselves - tend to make people qualify their statements when, as Buzzer says, they don't need to. From your posts, it's not much of a leap to ascertain that for you, it is black and white.

Absolute nonsense. Hungry Joe hadn't accused anyone of being an apologist or superfan until this thread was over 200 posts old, so why are you accusing him of having a black and white view on all of this? He's agreeing with Buzzer, who has been relatively vocal but from whom you seem to have backed away from an argument with. Funny that.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

Eh?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Absolute nonsense. Hungry Joe hadn't accused anyone of being an apologist or superfan until this thread was over 200 posts old, so why are you accusing him of having a black and white view on all of this? He's agreeing with Buzzer, who has been relatively vocal but from whom you seem to have backed away from an argument with. Funny that.

Sorry - you want me to have an argument with Buzzer? What for? I largely agree with his most recent post (no. 204).

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Exactly. All Albion fans owe a huge debt of gratitude to DK, MP, DC, TB, RB and plenty of others. Whether anyone else could or couldn't have done the same, these people did what they did and if we think some of them could have behaved differently on a very few occasions, then if we look carefully in the mirror we'll think the same about ourselves too. Let him who is without sin, etc.

Just as there are some fans whose dedication to the cause went way beyond the call of duty. I don't think they would consider themselves 'super fans,' but IMHO it makes their opinions worth listening to because in many cases they were there and I wasn't.

I don't disagree with any of that. It's just a shame that some of those fans seem to have developed an uncharacteristically thin skin when anyone dare mention that they think DK could have acted more magnanimously, and accuse anyone who does dare say as having an anti-DK agenda. The level of hypocrisy being displayed by TLO in that regard is laughable.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Is he no longer Life President then?

If that were to happen, that would be a serious kick in the teeth for DK. I can't see it happening; at least not over the book or the shares thing. I wouldn't necessarily rule it out if things tumble out of control from here though...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sorry - you want me to have an argument with Buzzer? What for? I largely agree with his most recent post (no. 204).
I don't. I just don't see what HJ had done for you to accuse him of being black and white for what I saw as little more than agreeing with Buzzer and getting slightly annoyed with Not Andy Naylor.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I don't disagree with any of that. It's just a shame that some of those fans seem to have developed an uncharacteristically thin skin when anyone dare mention that they think DK could have acted more magnanimously, and accuse anyone who does dare say as having an anti-DK agenda. The level of hypocrisy being displayed by TLO in that regard is laughable.

Have I spent any time on this thread 'defending' Dick or getting offended by criticism of him?

I was querying Derek's statement regarding receiving money - which is neither pro- nor anti-Dick. In fact, it's non-Dick.

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I think everyone on here is pro-DK, TB, DC and all the rest - but to varying degrees. And I'd be surprised if many disagree if they think about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here