Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derek Chapman has a swipe at DK

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So just because Tony Bloom has 'loads of money' , he should give some back to people who invested over the years? Despite what Dick Knight had, was actually worthless really.

Did Dick Knight save Brighton, because he though he would make money on it when he stepped away?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

And, as you know, it stays with me.

Interesting that Gus backed-down without a penny in compensation, don't you think? I must admit I thought he was just about egotistical enough to take the club on, but 'no' it seems even Gus knew he couldn't win (as I repeatedly told NSC - you're welcome BTW - I await your and many others apologies! :)).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Now the truth is coming out about Dick Tight it doesn't make pleasant reading for those who felt he walked on water

Blimey I thought your constant posts on dick tight were all a bit tongue in cheek, but I assume now they were actually your views

Is this the same Derek Chapman who phoned me up about a year ago, complaining that Tony Bloom and Paul Barber weren't consulting him about decisions they were making? I seem to remember the crux of his complaint was that the directors who had put "real money" into the club were being sidelined, whereas other directors were being given a greater say in what happened.

But hey, ho ... I remain grateful to Derek for his role in ensuring that the stadium is awash with real ale. And Derek now seems to be back on board with the rest of the board, so what's to worry about?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Is this the same Derek Chapman who phoned me up about a year ago, complaining that Tony Bloom and Paul Barber weren't consulting him about decisions they were making? I seem to remember the crux of his complaint was that the directors who had put "real money" into the club were being sidelined, whereas other directors were being given a greater say in what happened.

But hey, ho ... I remain grateful to Derek for his role in ensuring that the stadium is awash with real ale. And Derek now seems to be back on board with the rest of the board, so what's to worry about?

That's interesting. Can you/are you willing to elaborate? Thought he was pretty eloquent and clear in his article and it supported my own doubts about the DK book and shares stuff. But as ever, there is always another side to things. Don't know what your role is and why he would be calling you, but interested to know more if you can go into detail.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
So DK is castigated for taking back £400k of the money that he had put into the club in order to stop it folding?

Why no comment about the £330k paid to directors during our first year at the Amex - or the £100k during our last year at the Withdean - not to mention the £56k to dirctors pensions.

We don't know which directors were paid those amounts just that the highest paid received £143k and a £38k pension contribution - we are not allowed to know those details unless we are shareholders.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

Crivvens! That's put the chat amongst the Pigeons. Nice work Your Lordship. :wink:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So DK is castigated for taking back £400k of the money that he had put into the club in order to stop it folding?

Why no comment about the £330k paid to directors during our first year at the Amex - or the £100k during our last year at the Withdean - not to mention the £56k to dirctors pensions.

We don't know which directors were paid those amounts just that the highest paid received £143k and a £38k pension contribution - we are not allowed to know those details unless we are shareholders.

DK got £400k. Good for him. What HE shouldn't be doing is moaning about the SIZE of his payout if you believe what DC is saying (which I do), i.e. DK's shares were worthless.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That is a point I have tried to make. DK hasn't made any such accusation or suggestion. The Argus has been naughty.

No they haven't. Not at all. DC makes clear this response is after reading the Argus extracts of DK's book and also Ray Bloom's response also. He goes into some detail about funding of the Albion and takes great pains to prove that his motives were and continue to be purely altruistic. I think it's a fair point to head-off any accusations of profiteering through his company as a further proof of where his motives lay.

The Argus are well within their rights to say this is in response to DK's book seeing as DC says it's the parts that the Argus have serialised that he is responding to. They then give DC the floor completely to put his side of events as he sees it. DK has made a great issue of share ownership in the last few days and its therefore understandable that, if DC had a problem with DK regarding the shares - and he clearly has a big issue with DK over this - that DC goes public with his beef with DK. I wish he hadn't but then again I wish DK hadn't written this book too.

And reading between the lines, it appears to me that the other directors had lost confidence in DK as chairman well before TB took over. Talks of 8 hour board meetings about paying creditors and then discussing £60M projects straight after does seem to be, in DC's words, farcical given that they were all well aware that the banks just weren't interested. DC talks of DK making decisions as if he still owned the club and not consulting Tony - and in the same paragraph talks of Micky Adams who was, as we all know, DK's man. How long did DK think he could continue snubbing TB before TB pulled rank? If what DC has said is true then DK was as much responsible for losing the chairmanship as TB was in ousting him.

I don't blame DK at all for asking for his money back because, whatever way it happened, he had his dream that he had worked so hard for taken away from him. It must have been heartbreaking. I can also understand why DC is so piqued because when DK converted his debt to shares he must have known at that point that he was effectively saying goodbye to his dosh forever.

How much money is DK making from this book, I wonder. Interest has to be limited outside of the Brighton fanbase and even within it, there's clearly not universal appeal. I do hope all this public muck-raking and causing divisions within the club and the fans has been worth it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

And not then either. The disclosures that are in the Annual Report and Accounts (AR) are governed by the Companies Acts. The Club (and the Holding Company) are required by law to make certain disclosures; presumably they have done so. A shareholder is not entitled to more information than is in the AR. What would get you more information is if you are a Director of the club.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Are you, in fact, DK's PR man, LB? Why was DC phoning you? Do you have a recording? Are you sure you have remembered DC's gripe (you don't seem too sure TBH "I seem to remember...").

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As you well know, I was responding to Dick's snide comments re the club now being too petty, corporate, and having lost touch with its roots. We are now a big business in football terms, so we have to be 'corporate'. The club can no longer be run like Dick's amateur hour, effective tho' that was at the time. Lost touch with its roots? more like, Dick has lost his chance to show-boat in the centre of the pitch. For 'petty' read professional.

Is it professional to threaten Bozza & Lord Bracknell with legal action for postings on Nsc?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
And, as you know, it stays with me.

Interesting that Gus backed-down without a penny in compensation, don't you think? I must admit I thought he was just about egotistical enough to take the club on, but 'no' it seems even Gus knew he couldn't win (as I repeatedly told NSC - you're welcome BTW - I await your and many others apologies! :)).

What's the evidence that Gus "backed down without a penny in compensation"? That seems to be a general assumption ...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
And not then either. The disclosures that are in the Annual Report and Accounts (AR) are governed by the Companies Acts. The Club (and the Holding Company) are required by law to make certain disclosures; presumably they have done so. A shareholder is not entitled to more information than is in the AR. What would get you more information is if you a Director of the club.

For how much longer

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...consultation-shareholder-voting-responses.pdf

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
What's the evidence that Gus "backed down without a penny in compensation"? That seems to be a general assumption ...

It's a fact. Reported in the ever-truthful media, including the 'wonderful' Argus.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

It was in the argus. The same paper that in week 5 of the gus suspension had an article claiming he had turned down an offer of a financial settlement. Then two days later had an article in which they claimed no financial settlement had been offered. So, take it with a pinch of salt (like everything that seems to come from the club (and former club people) these days).

That's interesting. Can you/are you willing to elaborate? Thought he was pretty eloquent and clear in his article and it supported my own doubts about the DK book and shares stuff. But as ever, there is always another side to things. Don't know what your role is and why he would be calling you, but interested to know more if you can go into detail.
To be honest, I think this sort of private conversation stuff is best kept out of the public eye, but Derek now seems to be taking a different view, so - rather recklessly, maybe - I've joined in.

I have no "role" at all - and thought it a bit odd when Derek spilled those particular beans. But let's not make too much of this. All large and complex organisations have their spats from time to time, and the Albion is no different. They get resolved and people move on. I dare say that there are lots of people who might be able to pitch in with comments about various parts of DK's book. where they saw events from a slightly different perspective. Hopefully, at the end of the day, issues settle down and good relationships are re-established. In the meantime, though, there might be a few bumpy moments.

This is one of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here