Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Depression!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If he is depressed then fair enough, not nice, but the thing I don't get is many on here think he is swinging the lead, surely if he is not really injured the clubs medical staff can tell, or does he turn up in the morning limping and going ooh me leg, me leg, he is either injured, or he isn't.

Really pleased you came through it and hope it never comes back but please don't judge everyone by your own experience! Depression affects all of us in different ways, some live with it and fight it every day, others like you have developed strategies that we could all learn from but don't judge! you of all people should know that!
So would I have Depression if I had to play for Brighton poor Bastard!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
So would I have Depression if I had to play for Brighton poor Bastard!

I would have Depression if i played for Brighton poor bastard!

Did you giggle to yourself when you wrote that?

If you did, you are an unfunny ****

If you didn't, you are an unfunny ****

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I realise this, but one thing that all doctors prescribe is to go and do what you enjoy doing. If Vicente does not enjoy playing football, then we are really f***ed and he should just retire from the game. Would you not agree???
Firstly, I have no idea what's wrong with Vicente. But if he does have depression, yes I'm sure he likes playing football, but it's probably not that simple when playing professionally - when you have to train first, do well, and then you don't even decide if you're going to play. Maybe he will have to retire, but I hope not. I don't think about it, I go and watch whomever is in our team, and if one day that includes Vicente, then great. If not, oh well, c'est la vie. I don't like seeing people here complain about him though, when they have no idea what contract he's on, or exactly what's wrong with him. For all we know he's on a pay as you play deal, and not really costing us anything.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I had depression for 2 years, and boy is it difficult. I nearly took my own life just 5 months ago on an overdose (looking back at it, how selfish of me) but its a difficult thing to go through, I came off tablets 2 months ago and now I'm better than ever, I do get the odd down moments now and then though.

But my point is, if he does have it then we just to give him our full support, maybe if he heard us chanting his name for a while even though he's not currently playing, it might give that extra lift and make him realise we do want to see him playing as often as he can.

Nobody does know what the real problem is but a lot of us assume he genuinely can't be bothered to play ( a lot of the time me) but there's got to be a reasonable explanation behind it all.

Ole ole ole ole Vicente!

Dec 29, 2011
Vicente is a footballer, what makes people think he hates playing football? He has had a long, long history of injuries at Valencia and was out for whole seasons, yet when he comes to Brighton and is out due to injury people think he's skiving off. The physios at Valencia said (eventually) the injuries were all in his head. Do people seriously think he would come to Brighton, earn less money and move away from his home country all because he didn't want to play football?
I love the guy, he seems really shy and an incredible talent, it's a shame it had to end so messily.

Oct 25, 2003
i may be miles off the mark but i was under the impression (from numerous sources) that vicente has had depression on and off for a good few years

it's a horrible illness (that i've had) and one that is very hard to get rid of...hopefully he can get better

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What are the odds on it being Seasonal Affective Disorder?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Yeah ok, whatever you say. My doctor would disagree with you. But then unlike most(not all) on here, iv'e lived it and through it and with it. Not read about it in a f***ing book or watched it on Jeremy Kyle.

I've had cancer, doesn't mean I understand the first thing about it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This.......and before anybody says I'm a wanker and it's kevtherev again....I've suffered from depression twice in my life, month off work, tablets and then get on with your job. Being depressed with a job is bad enough, being depressed without one is even worse. If he is depressed, which I doubt. Playing football week in week out should be a god send to him, not a distraction.

bit simplistic and no i wudnt call you a wanker..but what is good for you isent always the same for another person..ye and iv'e been there too a heck of a lot longer that your month...and playing is probably a good thing for him to do...but if it was as simple as that then he would be out there....but it isent is it

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I have sufferred from depression for 10 years now and for some people to say take tablets for a while and move on is just wrong. That may work in a few instances but his problems would appear to be deeper than that as mine were. It can be a paralysing illness when you have no ability to face or deal with everyday events that people without the illness find simple and having had to leave a very good job which I was good and liked because it was destroying me as a person was just one of the outcomes. Try to imagine being so fearful of failure and not being able to cope and then link that to feeling like you will let 26000 people down and it is no wonder that he would not be able to get onto the pitch taking every niggle of a sign of not being able to perform. He needs support not critisim.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Vicente is a footballer, what makes people think he hates playing football? He has had a long, long history of injuries at Valencia and was out for whole seasons, yet when he comes to Brighton and is out due to injury people think he's skiving off. The physios at Valencia said (eventually) the injuries were all in his head. Do people seriously think he would come to Brighton, earn less money and move away from his home country all because he didn't want to play football?
I love the guy, he seems really shy and an incredible talent, it's a shame it had to end so messily.

Long term injuries can affect different players in different ways. Frustration with an injury not healing as it should, seeing other players get back into the team can affect some more than others. Gary Dicker paid tribute to Tommy Elphick last season when they were both having long term treatment. That's just the physical side of it, as others have said, depression can also be due to chemical imbalances. As for triggers to depression, just one row seems to have been the trigger for Gary Speed to hang himself although I'm sure there was a lot more to it than that, but he appeared to have everything on the surface of it.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Sadly flippant comments like this show just how much depression is not understood. I know you will be joking but in general society does think it is this simple.

I can see why he would be. He was adored by millions, one of the best players in Europe and now what? Yes we love him but from the highs he had it must be very hard having the lows.

Many many years ago I was quite a good sportsman 4 best in uk at one point but it does not last and soon you are just one of many and I can sympathise its difficult if you once was the best

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here