Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deniz Undav

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think that in an ideal world Potter would like to have a consistent goalscorer in the line-up, and he doesn't get that with Welbeck or Maupay.

Therefore, if Potter likes what he sees in pre-season I could see Undav starting alongside Trossard with MacAllister just behind and Caicedo and Mwepu holding.

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
A good interview. I like him. Fingers crossed he fits in well and is a 10+ a year striker.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Be afraid Neal, very afraid, he even looks like you

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
For the first time in donkeys years, we (currently!) start a season with genuinely red hot competition for places in the striking (I don't mean forward positions).

We've got 3 genuine options, Welbeck, Undav and Maupay for 2, or more likely 1 place. Chuck in some handy back up options, Trossard can play striker if needed, Ferguson or Tolaj may be kept in the squad.

So if we need to manage Welbeck minutes or it's not coming off for Neal, we don't have to change formation or we're not forced to throw on a youngster.

My take, is that Welbeck is first choice striker, and Undav is auditioning for Maupay's role of being subbed on or starting in the games where Danny is injured or where we want to play two strikers. I expect fireworks!

Are we assuming Enciso is going out on loan then?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
He does look / act like a bit of a Maupay doppleganger - maybe taller tho.

Comes across well - guaranteed to bang in the goals in an Albion shirt ��

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For the first time in donkeys years, we (currently!) start a season with genuinely red hot competition for places in the striking (I don't mean forward positions).

We've got 3 genuine options, Welbeck, Undav and Maupay for 2, or more likely 1 place. Chuck in some handy back up options, Trossard can play striker if needed, Ferguson or Tolaj may be kept in the squad.

So if we need to manage Welbeck minutes or it's not coming off for Neal, we don't have to change formation or we're not forced to throw on a youngster.

My take, is that Welbeck is first choice striker, and Undav is auditioning for Maupay's role of being subbed on or starting in the games where Danny is injured or where we want to play two strikers. I expect fireworks!

Not really ‘one place’ or even necessary to have a ‘first choice’ though is it…….for many games it’ll probably be two, and the third will be on the bench anyway and often get used, particularly with 5 subs allowed and Potter’s propensity to change things around.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

From what i've seen, if he does stay and he is in the first team squad, more likely to be competing with Sarmiento, Mitoma, for wider "inside forward" type positions or Trossard as more of a number 10 position. Rather than an out and out striker position, which I think will be Undav, Maupay and Welbeck

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Not really ‘one place’ or even necessary to have a ‘first choice’ though is it…….for many games it’ll probably be two, and the third will be on the bench anyway and often get used, particularly with 5 subs allowed and Potter’s propensity to change things around.

Hmm, I'm still pretty happy with the idea that Welbeck will be starting up front when fit and the others will be competing to play with him (though sure, yes we will be rotating and managing minutes etc)

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Cough *Andone* cough......

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

There was a hint that he wouldn't be going out on loan. Adingra doesn't qualify for a work permit, so a straightforward one, but with Enciso there was the suggestion that the World Cup break in December meant there was limited value to loaning him out for the first part of the season, when it was going to be disrupted for a month.

I wonder what the World Cup break is going to look like for those not involved. Maybe a week off followed by lots of drills and some behind closed doors friendlies?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
From what i've seen, if he does stay and he is in the first team squad, more likely to be competing with Sarmiento, Mitoma, for wider "inside forward" type positions or Trossard as more of a number 10 position. Rather than an out and out striker position, which I think will be Undav, Maupay and Welbeck

In my day a wide inside forward would be . . . an outside forward. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here