Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deniz Undav **Gone To Stuttgart 09/08/24**

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's amazing for a player who doesn't want to be here and wants to play in a league where very few players are bought for such a fee.

Selling Undav is a result but selling him for a massive profit would be incredible business, even by our standards. Shifting on Sanchez last summer for £25m was World Class and this deal is shaping up to be even better.
I agree it's big money for the Bundesliga, but that doesn't make it an incredible deal.
He is worth every penny of the expected fee.

Sanchez for £25m ( on-strike, unwanted keeper) was great business.
Trossard for £25m ( end of contract and not signing) was irritating but ok-ish business.

Undav had 29 goal involvements in 33 games last season.
He has 2 years left on his deal with us.

Our head coach wants to keep him.
£25m is not a "world class" piece of business

It's Ok - we will have played it pretty well, if it plays out.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It was my understanding that there was a clause in the loan agreement that was widely reported. So that's were that number is, presumably, coming from.
Nope.
There was an agreement they could offer to buy him for a range of fees, based on performances (up to 20m)
But we also had a buyback clause in contract, meaning we could buy him straight back from them for a minimal amount of profit for them.

The buyback clause is what is causing Stuttgart to rebid at 23m + add ons.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I agree it's big money for the Bundesliga, but that doesn't make it an incredible deal.

Trossard for £25m ( end of contract and not signing) was irritating but ok-ish business.

Circa €20m profit will represent a good piece of business.
USG also profited when they sold him to us.
No wonder Tony is a wealthy man.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
27 year old - proven goal scorer.
£25m is not an amazing price.

It's Ok, but not amazing.
We will find it difficult to replace him for that amount.
I understand your point. I don't think we will replace him though.

I think we have enough in that position

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I understand your point. I don't think we will replace him though.

Hopefully, that should be the case.
But we only really have 1 player with his main attribute, and that player, was failing to produce the goods last season.

Super Sub

Aug 13, 2016
We do need to be a little careful with this one... I understand that Denis had a phenomenal season with Stuttgart and has thus increased his value many times over but if he were to stay with us and then have a less than stellar 24/25, we would be left with a player whose worth to us may have collapsed.
I like the guy and would like to keep him but if his sale funds a shiny new Right Back/Wing Back and we are left with Welbeck, Ferguson and Pedro to choose from up top, id take that.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Circa €20m profit will represent a good piece of business.
USG also profited when they sold him to us.
No wonder Tony is a wealthy man.

It depends on your view on good business though doesn't it?
I enjoy totting up the profit figures as much as anyone, but there was a glaring gap in our squad at the end of last season.

Profit's great.
Goals are better

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It depends on your view on good business though doesn't it?
I enjoy totting up the profit figures as much as anyone, but there was a glaring gap in our squad at the end of last season.

Profit's great.
Goals are better
I know what you mean but there is long time to reinvest it on the right replacement. We’re always looking and maybe that extra £20m will get another deal over the line

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We do need to be a little careful with this one... I understand that Denis had a phenomenal season with Stuttgart and has thus increased his value many times over but if he were to stay with us and then have a less than stellar 24/25, we would be left with a player whose worth to us may have collapsed.
I like the guy and would like to keep him but if his sale funds a shiny new Right Back/Wing Back and we are left with Welbeck, Ferguson and Pedro to choose from up top, id take that.
I don't think there's much chance of him staying - this process seems to be more about the club getting as much money as they can for him.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I don't think there's much chance of him staying - this process seems to be more about the club getting as much money as they can for him.
Yeah agreed. He isn't staying.

Tony's algorithm knows exactly what his value really is and Stuttgart will end up paying it.
Our opinions of what that figure should be, is irrelevant.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014

I don't think he's worth anything to us at all. He wasn't here last season, doesn't want to be here this season and isn't up to the Premier League style of football. If we can sell him for £25m plus, it will be an incredible piece of business to turn a £6m turd into a £20m+ profit after a successful loan spell away.

I would say that's a World Class piece of business. The Head Coach is here to work with the players he's given and Undav isn't one of them. We have better.

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
I think 30 million euros for someone who's hypothetically your 3rd choice striker is hard to turn down. Also given he will peak these 2 years and his performance will most probably go down after.

He will be a steady performer for them but I don't think he would be much more than a decent sub for us the majority of the season.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
We definitely don't. Last season we were struggling to find one fit striker for decent chunks of the season. DW is another year older and never been prolific, Ferguson has a lot to prove after misfiring badly, albeit apparently ill for long periods. We were desperate for a clinical striker like Denis last season and to not replace him would be foolhardy.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Incredible that we're looking likely to make a 600% ROI on a player that looked a bit of a flop bar a few good cameos towards the end of the season. Pretty much the money we spent on Minteh coming back in the coffers.

He's 28, doesn't want to be here and didn't look like becoming a regular starter for us, despite his impressive records in Belgium and Germany. If he'd flopped at Stuttgart, we'd probably have ended up taking a hit on him.

If he actually wanted to come back he'd be a useful squad player for us, but he doesn't. €30m, maybe with a sell on in case he has another good season and one of the 'big clubs' comes knocking, would be insane business.

We should make them take Dahoud as part of the deal.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We definitely don't. Last season we were struggling to find one fit striker for decent chunks of the season. DW is another year older and never been prolific, Ferguson has a lot to prove after misfiring badly, albeit apparently ill for long periods. We were desperate for a clinical striker like Denis last season and to not replace him would be foolhardy.
I don't disagree with your assessments on Welbeck and Ferguson.

To me the difference is that Joao Pedro will no longer have to be shunted out wide or out in a deeper position than is ideal. He can what he does best, lead the line and get the goals. In my mind, Welbeck and Ferguson are his back ups. If Ferguson isn’t fit to start the season, let’s keep O’Mahoney around until January

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
I don't think he's worth anything to us at all. He wasn't here last season, doesn't want to be here this season and isn't up to the Premier League style of football. If we can sell him for £25m plus, it will be an incredible piece of business to turn a £6m turd into a £20m+ profit after a successful loan spell away.

I would say that's a World Class piece of business. The Head Coach is here to work with the players he's given and Undav isn't one of them. We have better.
Reverse it and see it this way. Would you be happy if we spent 25-30m euros on a striker and them sit on the bench getting 15 minutes a game if they’re lucky? I’m going to assume your answer would be no right? As for that sort of money he’d be a starter.

Undav wasnt/isn’t/won’t be a starter for us ever. €25m+ is quite incredible business.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here