Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Definitive Moment of the Olympics

What is your definitive Olympic moment from London 2012?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
So after nearly a week of withdrawal symptoms, what part of the Olympics comes to mind when you think back? What enduring/endearing images do you find yourelf gently humming Chariots of Fire to?

Poll to Follow

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
For me, it is when Mo crossed the line to win his first gold. There was a look on his face that was a mixture of incredulity, slight panic and utter joy. He really had no idea how to celebrate.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
This may not be so popular with many, but one of my favourite moments was seeing Murray get gold in the tennis. It was a phenomenal performance, you could see how much it meant to him, and I think it's a huge step towards him getting a grand slam.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Poll now up and multiple choice allowed for those who just cant decide

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Without thinking, the image I immediately get is Cat Copeland with her mouth open not being able to believe she'd just won gold - priceless picture which encapsulated everything for me.

If I gave it thought, there's lots of others like Mo Farrah, or the whole of that first Sat night, but CC is the first one I get.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The lighting of the cauldron, and the opening sequence when all the smokestacks rose out of the ground.

Then Farah, Bolt, Ennis, Hoy, Wiggins, Mceever

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
For me it was Anthony Joshua's win. Last day and summed up the spirit and the support. Three points down, one round to go, dead and buried. But no. He picks himself up, goes out and absolutely batters the guy.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Without thinking, the image I immediately get is Cat Copeland with her mouth open not being able to believe she'd just won gold - priceless picture which encapsulated everything for me.

Followed by her interview "we're going to be on a stamp", priceless moment

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
For me it is Laura Trott's gold. It just shows that we will continue to do well in track cycling when we have someone like her coming through and winning gold at her first Olympics.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
No Andy Murray?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Farah's 5,000m for me, especially the final 250m. To be able to shift up an extra gear, and then another one with 70/80m to go, AFTER having won gold the week before in the 10,000m, AND motivated himself (physically and mentally) to reach the final, is almost a superhuman effort.

Given the short list of athletes that have completed the golden double at 5k and 10k at the Olympics – not to mention the dominance of African athletes in that list and those races over time, makes it even more impressive, IMO.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
I have gone for the Flame lighting - because the music (Calibans Dream), the scene of Sir Steve Redgrave entering the stadium and then stepping aside, the young athletes doing the lap of the track then it dawning on those watching they they were literally being handed the torch by the distinguished British Olympians and then the lighting giving way to the rising of the cauldron. In my view, this is one of the most life affirmingly beautiful moments I have ever witnessed on television.

My second choice would be Gemma Gibbons. Having lost my mum last year I can honestly say that there isnt a day goes by when I don't think about her. For Gemma in that moment to look up and give her thank you resonated with me.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
So so so many great moments. Wiggins, Ennis, Nicola Adams... however the double gold for mo in two very competitive tough diciplines was the highlight... Instant history made with 2 golds

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
For me, it is when Mo crossed the line to win his first gold. There was a look on his face that was a mixture of incredulity, slight panic and utter joy. He really had no idea how to celebrate.

This one for me too. It just completed an amazing 45 minute spell with Ennis winning, then Rutherford and finally Mo. One of my favourite sporting highlights ever that evening.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
for me Katherine Copeland screams 'We've won the Olympics!' at Sophie Hosking in the lightweight double sculls.

Completely wrecked me for some reason

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
feel a massive anti climax now the Olympics is over. Loved it so much and im not a big Atheletics fan. London has just felt like a carnivale.

It's also been so refreshing seeing genuine articulate down to earth people celebrate their high achievments.. rather than the majority of over paid, arrogant footballers.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
As much as I loved the ALL GOLD action such as Mo, Hoy, Ennis etc the two most memorable moments for me were not from athletes who took gold.

First was Zac Purchase and Mark Hunter in the double sculls. They put absolutely everything into that race just to be edged out by the Danes at the last. They were shattered and devastated. All they could do was aplologise for letting other people down. I absolutely blubbed my eyes out at that.

The other was Gemma Gibons. Such a touching moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here