Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Definitive Moment of the Olympics

What is your definitive Olympic moment from London 2012?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Katie Taylor - only reason she wasn't TECHNICALLY the first female boxing gold is because her weight was scheduled to fight 15 mins later than the lighter discipline (although I think you need to hold all 3 women's gold medal boxers up to that accolade). Pro-rata by far and away the best and loudest support in the entire Olympics.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Mo's second gold for me. Hanging back for a lot of the race just KNOWING he could beat everyone else in the last few laps. Special moment when he crossed the line.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Boris dancing to the Spice Girls.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
A strange one for me - but when the two rowers (can't remember their names off top of my head)got pipped to gold by the Danes and were so devastated at winning silver, in the interview after Inverdale himself was vey close to tears when he handed back to the studio.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Gemma Gibbons for me. i'm a grown man, so obviously i didnt get TOO emotional during the Olympics, however this moment still gets me now when i see it replayed on TV.

Apart from that i would say Charlotte Dujardin winning the individual Dressage Gold. It's my sport (apart from football) and not many people will realise just how hard it is.

I have gone for the Flame lighting - because the music (Calibans Dream), the scene of Sir Steve Redgrave entering the stadium and then stepping aside, the young athletes doing the lap of the track then it dawning on those watching they they were literally being handed the torch by the distinguished British Olympians and then the lighting giving way to the rising of the cauldron. In my view, this is one of the most life affirmingly beautiful moments I have ever witnessed on television.

1 million percent THIS. Coming on top of what had been a truly superb opening ceremony, the symbolism of the moment combined with sensational spine tingling music resulted in a simply unforgettable climax and a moment in life I will always remember.

The rest of the Olympics had so many fantastic highlights all of which ensured the Olympic spirit is alive and well and in good hands.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Personally, it would be Ainslie's Gold medal-winning race, as it's the only event I could get tickets for. It's the day of this Olympics I'll best remember in years to come.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Without thinking, the image I immediately get is Cat Copeland with her mouth open not being able to believe she'd just won gold - priceless picture which encapsulated everything for me.

Gotta agree with this. There were 3 or 4 human side of the games which were real lump in the throat moments,

Kat Coplands expression as TD describes,
Katherine Graingers look of relief to her rowing partner in the medals ceremony.
Gemma Gibbons talking to her mum
Nicola Adams complete awe and enthusiasm*
Tom Daleys Bronze.

The Big defining moments would be: Mo's wins, Jess Ennis and Bradley winning Gold after the Tour de France.

(*turns out I used to help train Nicola Adam's dog!! She used to attend out dog training club in Leeds, but to be honest I can't remember her!!)

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The iconic moments have to be Ennis and Farah and deservedly so, but for me it was Jade Jones, Laura Trott and Nicola Adams winning their gold medals - just down to earth, ordinary young kids who'd worked really hard for four years and couldn't believe they'd won at the Olympics. Jade Jones going mental at the end of her contest was brilliant.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
I've gone for Lizzie Armitstead's silver won amid torrential rain because it was the first medal. After the disappointing result in the men's road race, this was unexpected by most people, it was gutsy and set us on the way.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

• The Brownlee brothers. Jonathan Brownlee being interviewed after the race and describing in his matter of fact Yorkshire way how he realised that it was him and not his brother who had got a 15sec penalty by looking at the number on his sleeve. No hysterics, tears or moaning about the decision and a brilliant double by him and his bro.
  • Usain Bolt doing his winning pose thing and being mirrored in the pose by one of the mascot things and laughing at it.
  • Jessica Ennis - pretty good for a fat lass.
  • Rebecca Adlington being over the moon at winning the bronze in London, unlike the archer (can't remember which country) who cried when she got the gold by only hitting an eight as "her country doesn't win with an 8".
  • Guy Garvey singing "One Day Like This" at the closing ceremony.
  • Greg Rutherford being interviewed after his gold - don't think I have ever seen anyone so deliriously happy or attempt to thank so many people for his success.

How many did you say we could choose?

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Mass booing of Sepp Blatter at Wembley women's football medal ceremony. Why on earth isn't this in the poll?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
For me not a moment from our team or even a winning moment. But that women from Iran being the first to represent her country.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
For me not a moment from our team or even a winning moment. But that women from Iran being the first to represent her country.

Saudi Arabia?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Vino wining the cycle race and Rudisha running away with the 800 metres.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here