Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Definitive Moment of the Olympics

What is your definitive Olympic moment from London 2012?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Alan Campbell winning bronze and crying his eyes out on the podium.

They were not tears of finishing third. They were tears of pushing your body to the limit and grabbing an Olympic medal. Many years of hard work, dedication and sacrifices. That bronze meant so much to him. Certainly my defining Olympic moment and a moment that set me off.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
On the sporting front the most important for me is athletics and track cycling. I follow both sports very closely and I was sometimes very emotional when Mo Farah, Jess, Greg and all the cyclists especially Laura Trott won gold but the performances by Nicola Adams in the ring were absolutely awesome. Always smiling and so brave and unrelenting in the ring. 29 fantastic gold medals, I enjoyed every minute and all the other medals too. I love sport :)

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Watching Tom and his entire team leaping into the pool to celebrate his bronze was a brilliant scene. We were basically privy to the greatest moment in those peoples' lives and it was such a great moment to see. Yeah, he didn't get a gold, but you could see how much it meant to all of them and that's worth as much as any precious metal you care to name.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Gemma Gibbons - although " I love you mum" was really touching, what did it for me was when she burst into tears after flipping her opponent over. The picture of her sobbing will stay with me for a long time

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Alan Campbell winning bronze and crying his eyes out on the podium.

They were not tears of finishing third. They were tears of pushing your body to the limit and grabbing an Olympic medal. Many years of hard work, dedication and sacrifices. That bronze meant so much to him. Certainly my defining Olympic moment and a moment that set me off.

I forgot to add...

It is not about winning. It is about giving your all. Many years of hard work thrown into a fraction of a day.

Even those that did not come away with some sort of metal, they can be very proud of themselves. Even if they didn't perform to the level they wanted or expected. They were there.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Gemma Gibbons... a beautiful moment but also a great sporting achievement.

Those judoka are badasses

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
This thread makes you realise how many truly memorable moments there were an amazing 2 weeks and the overall humility of the athletes in winning was wonderful you felt you bonded with each and everyone.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
For me it was taking the family to the stadium for the Saturday night watching three gold medals for team gb and seeing my nine year old not sit in his seat for the whole three hours because he was so wrapped up in the emotion of the evening and hopefully something he will never forget I know I wont

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Gemma Gibbons - although " I love you mum" was really touching, what did it for me was when she burst into tears after flipping her opponent over. The picture of her sobbing will stay with me for a long time

Saved me from typing the same thing. The massive all or nothing effort she put into that decisive throw was really something to see. Close to tears myself at that moment although I didn't cry obviously, what with being a man and all *ahem*

Amazing that we all have so many images that will stick forever. What a great fortnight.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
My moment is a very personal one. Walking into the Olympic Park on the morning of the first Monday of the Games. I live just up the River Lea from the site, and have watched it grow over the years. My marathon training runs went past the site as the stadium was built. I've defended the London Olympics since the bid went in, and even more so since it was awarded to us 7 years ago. To see it come to fruition, for MY city to be able do it perfectly, was somewhat emotional.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
ticked them all as loved every minute of it and feel lost with out it.

Special moments:

Jade Jones, her face when she won......
All the cycling...just immense
Rowing - Love it that we still the best
Mo - spine tingling
Jes - Horney as fcuk and just an amazing talent
Boxing - Awesome
Triathlon and canoe's - Would never watch it normally, but glued to it.
Horses - for 3 years and 50 weeks, i wont be interested, but for those two weeks, i now love equestrian.
London 2012 and cememonys - Take a bow. superb all round organising and mind blowing effects.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
After the first few days we didn't start so well. Cav came nowhere, Tom Daley was leading in the syncronised swimming and it all went wrong on one dive and it all didn't seem to be going too well for team GB.

Then on the fifth day, the two girl rowers won and we were on our way, but the thing that is the defining moment of the Olympics for me, was later on that day Bradley Wiggins. The crowds were absolutely enormous and Wiggo was a hot favourite and he delivered and everyone went nuts, all this talk of Team GB being awesome (especially the cycling) I thought may actually be true and the first few days was just a blip. The next day I think the velodrome opened up and the rest as they say is a GOLDEN history.

Some may say that is too medal orientated and not what the real Olympics is about, but if team GB had done poorly (like Australia) people would definitely not think it would have been a great Olympics.

For me it was taking the family to the stadium for the Saturday night watching three gold medals for team gb and seeing my nine year old not sit in his seat for the whole three hours because he was so wrapped up in the emotion of the evening and hopefully something he will never forget I know I wont

Lucky, Lucky B****! I watched it all happen live on a very ancient TV set with poor sound whilst on holiday in France and it was spellbinding, I cannot begin to imagine what it must have been like to be there.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Gemma Gibbons in the judo - thanking her mum........

article-0-14586D12000005DC-100_634x422.jpg

Oh, and sitting with my mum in the Olympic Stadium - we used to go to the Crystal palace to watch David Bedford in the Emsley Carr mile around 1973 ish at the 3 A's championships. Bit different from the last time we sat around a running track!!!!! (I have a recollection that we might have seen a very young Steve Ovett there but not sure...) so to take her to the biggest athletic meeting on the planet was something very special for me personally

Last edited:

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
Gemma Gibbons for me. i'm a grown man, so obviously i didnt get TOO emotional during the Olympics, however this moment still gets me now when i see it replayed on TV.

Apart from that i would say Charlotte Dujardin winning the individual Dressage Gold. It's my sport (apart from football) and not many people will realise just how hard it is.

This. Welled up like a 3 year old watching that.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Some may say that is too medal orientated and not what the real Olympics is about, but if team GB had done poorly (like Australia) people would definitely not think it would have been a great Olympics.

A comparisom fo you

Australia (in London) 35 medals (7 gold, 16 silver, 12 bronze)
GB (in sydney) 28 medals (11 gold, 10 silver, 7 bronze).

So they did better than us in the "away leg"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A comparisom fo you

Australia (in London) 35 medals (7 gold, 16 silver, 12 bronze)
GB (in sydney) 28 medals (11 gold, 10 silver, 7 bronze).

So they did better than us in the "away leg"

No they didn't. Not by the standard measurement. All about Golds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here