Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Deborah (13): Servant of God" on tonight 22.30 BBC3

Thursday 16 April
10:30pm - 11:30pm BBC3
Watched this a few weeks ago and found it quite disturbing how a child could be totally brainwashed into Christian fundamentalism. She gets taken out into the real world by her brother, and there is an amusing scene where he claims not to know this attractive girl who approaches him in a nightclub with blouse half undone!

Documentary about 13-year-old Deborah Drapper, who unlike other British teens has never heard of Britney Spears or Victoria Beckham. She has grown up in a deeply Christian family, and her parents have tried to make sure she and her ten brothers and sisters have been protected from the sins of the outside world. Deborah is a bright, confident girl who has big ambitions, and the film spends a summer with her as she ventures out into the world and starts putting her beliefs forward to a wider audience.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Thursday 16 April
10:30pm - 11:30pm BBC3
Watched this a few weeks ago and found it quite disturbing how a child could be totally brainwashed into Christian fundamentalism. She gets taken out into the real world by her brother, and there is an amusing scene where he claims not to know this attractive girl who approaches him in a nightclub with blouse half undone!

Documentary about 13-year-old Deborah Drapper, who unlike other British teens has never heard of Britney Spears or Victoria Beckham. She has grown up in a deeply Christian family, and her parents have tried to make sure she and her ten brothers and sisters have been protected from the sins of the outside world. Deborah is a bright, confident girl who has big ambitions, and the film spends a summer with her as she ventures out into the world and starts putting her beliefs forward to a wider audience.

Good spot, just put it on.

Oh dear, I think this is going to annoy me.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
She's nuts.

I wouldn't go as far as that to be honest. Just shows what parents can do to children.

I have no problem with religion to be honest, the positives far outweigh the negatives.

BUT - when it gets to a if you believe in dinosaurs you're going to hell type bollocks, it becomes a destructive force rather than a positive one.

I far more comfortable with old fashioned Christianity, rather than this modern evengenical scary version.

It's as if Microsoft or Google did religion, it would be just like that.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The worrying thing though CG is that for every Christian child indoctrinated with this kind of fundamentalism, there must be a hundred Muslim kids getting the same.

I don't believe that to be honest.

The problem is much different, if you like at the profile it's actually people turning to it at a much older age.

I think it's rooted it's rooted in some form of disatisfaction, but this girl looks very self satisfied to me.

I don't believe that to be honest.

The problem is much different, if you like at the profile it's actually people turning to it at a much older age.

I think it's rooted it's rooted in some form of disatisfaction, but this girl looks very self satisfied to me.

She is certainly lucid and seems quite mature for 13. I note your comment on the muslims, in fact I recall that a couple of the home-grown bombers had previously led quite decadent westernised lives.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Sounds like another case of religion as child abuse, writ large. To talk about youngsters as being Christian children or Muslim children or Jewish children is as absurd as calling them Keynesian children or Marxist children. (copyright R Dawkins)

The worst examples are to be found in the good ol' US of A, where kids as young as six can be seen parading down small-town American sidewalks, loudly parroting the nonsensical religious bigotry that was force-fed by their abusive, God-bothering parents.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
The worst examples are to be found in the good ol' US of A, where kids as young as six can be seen parading down small-town American sidewalks, loudly parroting the nonsensical religious bigotry that was force-fed by their abusive, God-bothering parents.

I do believe that makes you a bigot.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

This would indicate her parents are doing a great job raising their child.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I hate it when parents force religion (of any variety) onto their children.

Let them grow up and make their own decisions as to what they wish to believe or not believe in, don't be so arrogant as to try to force them to be the same as you.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I hate it when parents force religion (of any variety) onto their children.

Let them grow up and make their own decisions as to what they wish to believe or not believe in, don't be so arrogant as to try to force them to be the same as you.

I bet if you ever have children you will do exactly what religious parents do and instill your beliefs into your children.

You may say you won't but that would be an untruth as every action you undertake is teaching your children something.

I far more comfortable with old fashioned Christianity, rather than this modern evengenical scary version.

Exactly. Forget all this love and forgiveness nonesense, let's get back to some good old fashioned SMITING and STONING. And of course the odd random PLAGUE would be nice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here