Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Death Penalty

Should Britain re-introduce the death penalty?

• Yes

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • No

Votes: 73 72.3%

• Total voters

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
in singapore, there are 15 times less murders per head as there citizens are left in no doubt what will happen if they murder/rape/other serious crime - they have one chance to appeal the decision, and if it is turned down by a second court then they are executed

Last edited:

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
most of the american soldiers i served with are so stupid they have no clue what death penalty means and they are the more intelligent americans who can pass the entrance exam to get enrolled !!!!!!!!!!!!!

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
in singapore, there are 15 times less murders per head as there citizens are left in no doubt what will happen if they murder/rape/other serious crime - they have one chance to appeal the decision, and if it is turned down by a second court then they are murdered

The country wth the lowest crime rate in the world and the harshest penalties and i prefer the word executed not murdered

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006
China execute more people per year than the rest of the world. Presumably, despite being a largely populated country, it does not act as a deterrent. I am still bemused as to why they are hosting the olympics. Fraud, robbery and various other similar offences carry the death penalty.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
The country wth the lowest crime rate in the world and the harshest penalties and i prefer the word executed not murdered

good point - ive edited it. just busting out some statistics i have found

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006

Semantics make you feel better? Singapore and China are brutal regimes and those most at risk are the poorly educated, the impoverished, drug addicts and the unemployed and so on. Those that are let down by the general failings of society. Whilst crime can't be condoned, there are a portion of society that can't escape from their status and are destined to be crushed under the heel of the dictatorships/

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
EU won't let you. We had a "pass this referendum or we have to leave the EU" referendum on it about 5 years ago to remove it here (hadn't used it in years but people were still sentanced to death and had it commuted automatically if convicted of murdering a police officer, etc)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
have you got kids as have and i know if some **** molested or killed them i would want to see them fry! :censored::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

That is a usual feeling about child molestors but the vast majority of child molestors are in the child's own family. There is very little stranger danger in comparison.

I voted no btw. There have been too many mistakes already and even DNA isn't 100%.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Semantics make you feel better? Singapore and China are brutal regimes and those most at risk are the poorly educated, the impoverished, drug addicts and the unemployed and so on. Those that are let down by the general failings of society. Whilst crime can't be condoned, there are a portion of society that can't escape from their status and are destined to be crushed under the heel of the dictatorships/

I have several friends who were based in Singapore with the british navy on attachment to their navy and they said the way the west portrays them is utter bollocks yes there is still poverty there (where isn't there?) but the country is improving all the time and you can walk the streets safe knowing you wont need the police. Brutal sometimes yes but very safe.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I have several friends who were based in Singapore with the british navy on attachment to their navy and they said the way the west portrays them is utter bollocks yes there is still poverty there (where isn't there?) but the country is improving all the time and you can walk the streets safe knowing you wont need the police. Brutal sometimes yes but very safe.

But you still have not answered the main point. If 1,000 people are executed and one is innocent (and that is a very low number it would be many more than 1 in a thousand generally) is it okay that an innocent person died? Look at the number of people found guilty on little evidence in America and then executed despite the fact they had no representation in court and evidence is found to be flawed.

Monsieur Leclerc

Café Rene. In disguise!
Apr 24, 2006

Most cases, in China, take a day - confession and onwards. Are you saying that they are 100% safe? Are you happy with innocent people being killed?

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
But you still have not answered the main point. If 1,000 people are executed and one is innocent (and that is a very low number it would be many more than 1 in a thousand generally) is it okay that an innocent person died? Look at the number of people found guilty on little evidence in America and then executed despite the fact they had no representation in court and evidence is found to be flawed.

like i said earlier if there was undoubtable evidence not into killing innocent people 100% sure then yes i would like to see it reinstated.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Maybe, a death for a death i guess could be warranted in some cases. But as someone once said 'an eye for an eye leaves us all blind'

This is the one great marker of a civilised society. If you still have the death penalty, then your polity is in adolescence (at best) and your society far from civilised. If you don't, you can make some claim to maturity in the polity and in society.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
For cases of 'beyond all reasonable doubt' ie Brady, Sutcliffe, Huntley etc, however do have some reservations as our wonderful police force have been known to fit the odd person/persons up, Birmingham 6, Bridgewater Three and so on.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Scotty look what u started :lolol: right sorry u know my views everyone is different and yes the world is a far better place that we differ!!! I am now being kicked off here by the wife to go have a bath so she can watch Eastenders on I player ??? so thank you and goodnight all xxx

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
For cases of 'beyond all reasonable doubt' ie Brady, Sutcliffe, Huntley etc, however do have some reservations as our wonderful police force have been known to fit the odd person/persons up, Birmingham 6, Bridgewater Three and so on.

Thats the worry really, where do you draw the line on who dies?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here