Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Death Penalty

Should Britain re-introduce the death penalty?

• Yes

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • No

Votes: 73 72.3%

• Total voters

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
This is another thing entirely, perhaps we should have another poll about whether people agree with assisted suicide, or euthanasia for that matter.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The US experience shows that the death penalty is ineffective as a deterrent for those that are motivated to kill.

I've said this before on NSC, but I firmly believe that for the likes of Ian Huntly and Fred West these people should be locked in a bare room for a month with a loaded revolver, a bottle of arsenic, a chair and 6 foot of rope and then left to decide the right thing.

I suspect that maybe half of these people would kill themselves, which would then set a precedent and be a deterrent in itself.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
MY personal opinion is bring it back due to various things i have seen in my lifetime that's all.
My sister in law was raped at knife point, beaten and left for dead while studying for her A levels in her own back garden in 1983 when she was 17. The bloke who did it is doing 5 or 6 life sentences I think, he was a serial killer.

Nonetheless, what good would it do to have him killed by the state? It's not going to be erased from my sister-in-law's memory.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It would have given your sister in law some crumb of comfort if the guy had been given the tools to kill himself (as outlined above) and then done so.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
My sister in law was raped at knife point, beaten and left for dead while studying for her A levels in her own back garden in 1983 when she was 17. The bloke who did it is doing 5 or 6 life sentences I think, he was a serial killer.

Nonetheless, what good would it do to have him killed by the state? It's not going to be erased from my sister-in-law's memory.

have you asked her opinion on the matter?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well all I'm saying is that if I'd been raped I'd feel a tad better knowing that the rapist had been forced to think about what he'd done, realised it was very wrong and/or realised that his life was no longer worth living and then taken his life.

Surely, that's a better outcome for the victim than some bloke with no remorse being allowed to live?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Well all I'm saying is that if I'd been raped I'd feel a tad better knowing that the rapist had been forced to think about what he'd done, realised it was very wrong and/or realised that his life was no longer worth living and then taken his life.

Surely, that's a better outcome for the victim than some bloke with no remorse being allowed to live?

Not really no. It gives the perpertator of the crime the option of "an easy way out" for want of a better phrase. As I understand it, may pro-death penalty people want the criminal to suffer. Surely on that basis, locking the person up for life (and it should mean life), depriving them of all civil liberties for the rest of their days is much nastier.

I really can't get to grips with people who in escence are advocating that killing someone is wrong, but the punishment should be killing the killer. Stinks of hypocrasy IMHO.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What you outline is nevertheless a state sponsored execution, which is immoral IMO. It's not a real choice.
Consider this. You've never murdered anyone, but let's assume you're found guilty tomorrow of mass murder. If you were then locked in a room in solitary confinement for six months with a shotgun and some rope with seemingly 40 years of jail to otherwise look forward to, I'd rate your chance of still being alive 12 months later when your conviction was quashed as no better than evens.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Firstly, how likely is it that an innocent person would be found guilty of mass murder?

Secondly, who said 6 months? I've suggested 1 month, it could be a week. Long enough to make you think, but not so long that you'd do it simply because you were bored.

And I don't see that it is state-sponsored suicide. If the individual doesn't want to kill themselves they don't and just take the remainder of their life sentence.

The power of personal and social conscience as a policing tool is effective. Deaths by drink driving have been cut by media campaigns with powerful images. The Dutch have more liberal drug laws and they seem to work. Simply telling a person something is banned and taking the decision away from them is the nanny state. It is about time people had to THINK about the consequences of their actions.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

hang on a minute. i may have the chronology wrong but surely if there were a death penalty back then, rather than 5 life sentences the person might have hanged and not been around to commit further offences?

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
hang on a minute. i may have the chronology wrong but surely if there were a death penalty back then, rather than 5 life sentences the person might have hanged and not been around to commit further offences?

Death penalty for murder was abolished in 1963

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
But they still have hands and can still abuse and murder!!

Max.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here