Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dear Gus - we love the style of football

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am, and always have been, proud to be a Brighton fan. I am unbelievably proud of the Club right now. We're playing the right way, we have a manager and a team to excite us and get us promoted. Thanks Gus.

I celebrated my 33rd anniversary of my first Albion game last Friday, and I think this is one of the most, if not the most, exciting times to have been an Albion supporter. The future looks very very rosy.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
But,but, but ...

It's all very well playing that style of football when you have the players with the ability.

Too many times on Saturday the ball was played in nice triangles between Casper, Elphick and ElAbd, then with nowhere to go Casper hoofed it upfield ... or Elphick did, or ElAbd did. So what did we gain? f*** all. If we are going to play that way the defenders need to pass to a midfielder (which admittedly they did on occasions) who can move the ball upfield constructively.

We've a way to go before we can play this style of football effectively.

So, what would you have us do? The style has clearly paid dividends in the first quarter of the season as we're sitting 3 points clear at the top of the table with only one defeat in 11 games. That we can improve further is clearly a good thing isn't it? It says that even though we're top there's more to come. That's a very exciting thought, no? It is inevitable that mistakes are going to be made, for the vast majority of the squad it's an entirely new concept and style to what they're used to. The question is do you accept that these mistakes are an inevitable part of the evolution of this football team and continue to encourage the players or do you say f*** it, that wouldn't have happened if he'd have hoofed it. And then boo the team.

For a sign of just how far this team has come look back to this time last year. Incompetence reigned. Comedy defending, red cards galore, indiscipline, incoherent performances and a team that seemed unable to ignore the siren call of relegation. Now look at the team. We've got to where we are by playing Gus's passing style. It's not perfect yet but is clearly, demonstrably far superior to what went before. And this is after less than a year at the club. Think of what could be achieved if Gus really get's going. To boo the players who have effected this change is moronic. Absolutely, undeniably moronic. Regardless of whether at any one time in a match they don't take what might have been a better option.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I hope we adopt the German system of appointing coaches, ie: when Gus moves onward and upward, Tanno becomes our new manager, with a new bloke below him learning the ropes.

Then it truly would be a flair dynasty, and we wouldn't have to worry about who the next manager would be and whether they would muck up our style.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I hope we adopt the German system of appointing coaches, ie: when Gus moves onward and upward, Tanno becomes our new manager, with a new bloke below him learning the ropes.

Then it truly would be a flair dynasty, and we wouldn't have to worry about who the next manager would be and whether they would muck up our style.

Think Tano will be going with Gus if/when he goes

southwickseagull

Mar 4, 2004
southwick
i so hope the moron moaner behind me reads this thread and maybe thinks what a prat he is!!!!:laugh:
What he said. I have some old tosser behind me who wont stop bloody moaning, in fact on saturday we nearly come to blows, lol. And no i'm not a young thug, i'm 63 next birthday, but this prat will get it one day.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

Good idea but somehow I think Mr T is a follower and he will follow Gustavo wher'er he may go.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

So how did McLaren get his job at Wolfsburg then!!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well, I have to hold my hand and say I am one of those that would like to see the ball go forward. However, for those imbeciles on this site that think by going forward you mean hoof the ball as far as you can, then think again. Going forward, as I see it, will mean passing to a midfielder or to one of your full backs who will be slightly more advanced. Having the ball go between two centre backs and then back to the keeper who hoofs is just as productive as either El Abd or Elphick hoofing it. What we have at present, whilst better than what we have seen in the past, is only a stepping stone. It is far from the finished article and only when Dicker/Kishishev etc are on the ball passing it around, creating chances etc will be playing to our potential. The opposition cannot score when El Abd or Elphick have the ball (although some may argue that that used to be the case!!) but neither can we. What cost us on Saturday was not just a poor decision by the linesman but also the fact we only scored one goal from very few chances created.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So how did McLaren get his job at Wolfsburg then!!!

That other well trodden route into German football...manage a Dutch club.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

I think that template is when a club appoint high quality coaches from the assistant first team down to the Academy level and when the inevitable sacking of any manager, the structure stays the same.

It keeps any club ethos embedded within the club whilst also ensuring no great contractual pay off to the departing staff.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I know....I know....it probably won't happen.

My point is that a lot of us will be worried that when Gus goes we might get someone new in who won't want to play attractive football.

But then again, perhaps we should trust in Tony to bring in the right bloke again.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I know....I know....it probably won't happen.

My point is that a lot of us will be worried that when Gus goes we might get someone new in who won't want to play attractive football.

But then again, perhaps we should trust in Tony to bring in the right bloke again.

I think he will. I shudder to think what would happen if say we got someone like Adams in for a third term.

Completely dismantle then hoof it upfield.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
. Having the ball go between two centre backs and then back to the keeper who hoofs is just as productive as either El Abd or Elphick hoofing it. .

This happens a lot at a much higher level than we are at and I must admit it seems pointless. Maybe it is supposed to give the time for forwards to get into position to chase the hoof? I'm not gonna criticise it as overall the attempts to play football by Gus are light years from what we have had to endure over the last few years, but I know exactly what you mean. There must be a logic behind it as top Premier clubs also do it :shrug:

Then again maybe it just means that the midfield have been closed down and bar giving the ball away with a suicidal short pass, it's the only way to get out of our half?

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Love what we are doing on the pitch...but as Bournemouth proved, sometimes and only in the last few minutes, should Plan B be brought into play?

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Learn to stop worrying, and embrace the future.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Love what we are doing on the pitch...but as Bournemouth proved, sometimes and only in the last few minutes, should Plan B be brought into play?

And what did we do in the last 60 seconds? Tippy tap it around on the left wing in the middle of the park when a hoof into the opposition goalmouth was required! A completely wasted last opportunity to get a winner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here