• Yes

Votes: 141 88.7%
  • No

Votes: 18 11.3%

• Total voters

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
He did get stick, and the absence of tackling from his game earned him the sobriquet 'Wendy' from plenty of the support. His right foot was barely even any good for standing on, he was the most one footed player I've ever seen, but the left was a sweet, sweet tool of execution when he was on form.

He may have scored better goals, but how any Wilkins moment can outdo the free kick against Ipswich in the minds of some of our esteemed correspondents is utterly beyond me.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Man of Harveys said:
No, because he "didn't get stuck in", as I recall - funny how he's being praised for his "passion" now, of course, while the same set of people used to give him grief for the exact opposite 15 years ago.

I really HATE that word "passion" in a footballing context. It's for brain donors.

Do you get annoyed when someone asks you to use greater passion in the boudoir?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Dick Knights Mum said:
Did I mention I played 5-a-side against him at the Triangle. And nut-megged him.

Did I mention that ?
I think you have, at least once. Did you show more PASSION than him?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Meade's_Ball said:
Do you get annoyed when someone asks you to use greater passion in the boudoir?
fat-cat.jpg

Yes. Like all chubboes, I get all sweaty, red and shouty.

Euston

Aug 31, 2006
Favourite Wendy moments

As every one has said ‘that free kick’ against Ipswich and the flying hippo Phil Parkes. In the context of the game it was his finest moment

Wendy crying after the Play-off defeat, and the TV interviewer reminding him that he had scored

The front page Gulls Eye cartoon of Wendy buying a new pair of slippers and saying “These will be perfect for Saturday afternoon”

The routine he had with John Crumplin (Football Genius) at throw ins deep in our half. Crumplin would throw the ball straight at Wilkins left peg for a big clearance.

How good was Wilkins – he got some stick especially for his lack of tackling and especially when he played wide left. But in the centre (with Codner) he took us to the play-offs and in sight of the top flight for the first time since 1983. He had the sweetest left foot and excellent timing and vision.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
What can you say, Wendy Wilkins superb left peg, you'd pull your hair out one minute as he bottled yet another challenge and gawp with wondermant the next with another sweet pass.

Brighton through and through. I just hope the years of youth team development taught him some proper tactical awareness - just don't listen to your big brother hey!!!!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
What i remember is him scoring a 25 yard screamer when you beat Crawley 5-0 in the FA cup. I was in the away end as I was supporting my PE teacher, but it flew in.
:lolol:
You've gotta love the FA Cup for that kind of thing.

I just remember being dead impressed that we'd signed him from FC Zwolle, in Holland. A player coming here from abroad just seemed really EXCITING, even though he wasn't foreign. And he's played for us before.
:jester:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Can remember sitting in the West Stand when the bloke sitting behind me shouts....'Wilkins, do somthing magic.........disappear'.

He wasn't evryone's favourite, because he didn't get 'stuck in', but he did have a fantastic left foot and you always felt he had a chance if there was a free-kick near the opposition 18 yard box.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Easy 10 said:
:lolol:
You've gotta love the FA Cup for that kind of thing.

I just remember being dead impressed that we'd signed him from FC Zwolle, in Holland. A player coming here from abroad just seemed really EXCITING, even though he wasn't foreign. And he's played for us before.
:jester:

You must have been in heaven when we signed Small and Byrne in the same season...

Actually, thinking about it, you must have been a big fan of barry lloyd. He LOVED buying players from foreign clubs.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The only truly great Deano moment as THAT free kick, although he did score a few others but none htat stick in the mind.

He was a very frustrating player, certainly not one for getting stuck in, but had a sweet pass on him.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
I have 3 very memorable Deano moments, two mwntioned already (free kick and Codner bust up), the third was my first ever league match, against Leiscester in the 90-91 play off season, we were all over them and we won an indirect free kick in their area, they had 11 men on the line, and if memory serves me correctly Flash laid it back to Deano and in it sailed top of the net :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: Deano Deano Deano

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
he once told me very loudly to "f*** off"

Vs Leeds - I was in the West Stand, the leeds boys been give the Chicken Run - Mel Sterland robbed him of the ball on the half way line - he half heatedly ran after Sterland who had a shot that hit the bar.

I yelled out " cover back you lazy sod" as he was ambling back to the centre circle

to whit the reply came " f*** off"

How we laughed.....and lost 2-0 I seem to recall

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

D

Deleted member 2719

Yes i saw him and i got to say that Ipswich goal was mental stuff.

Similar situation to the Swindon - Virgo goal for anyone who didn't know.

I felt he was a Hoddle type player for us and opened lot's of doors and could pass all day.

Deano.......Deano........Deano....

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I DO remember that Ipswich goal though. I was part of the joyous pitch invasion that occurred even though it wasn't full time yet. Part of me was thinking "What the hell are you doing? You're 32 years old and you're running on the pitch with a load of teenagers" and the other part of me was thinking "YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!"

brightonbc

Sep 2, 2006
portslade
saw him loads, his left foot was a gift, scored loads of free kicks but scored a volley against wolves i think, in front of the north stand which was unreal, also had a ruck with codner on the pitch once, plus never seen a player cry for the albion like it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here