Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Hammond - a bad signing for footballing reasons.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
I don't need to check my posts to know I rarely say a bad word about him.

And I'm not criticising him for trying to get promoted. I just don't like his 'money is everything' attitude that he frequently displays as plenty of clubs prove it isn't. I'm also more interested in us being financially secure for years to come rather than just funding Poyet's move up the career ladder.

Sadly 'money is everything' is exactly what football is. Hense Chelsea and Manchester Ciity are where they are.

But we are not in that World. Fortunately we have Gus with a decent footballing brain and Tony with prudent financial acumen.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
His goal 'celebration' along the touchline to the South Stand at Withdean in the 2-2 draw against the scummers, totally uncalled for as he never received stick at any prior game he played in for them against us. Scott McGleish-esque in my book.

Not forgotten, he is a turd - a footballing turd and a turd of a man

An extremely poor signing, a Nigel Adkins cast off, the f***ing shame of it

He also has bandy legs

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Hammond can head the ball. Something none of our present midfielders seem that adept at. If he can offer a threat at corners in the air that's a win for mine.

Jul 20, 2003
a half decent professional footballer feels pissed off with his workplace .... sods off to somewhere else ... improves his game (to become a better player and earn more money) ... opportunity comes around to play for a couple of clubs, ends up back where he started in better circumstances ... f***ing result all round

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
wrongly named thread good signing for football ability hope he does well for us the past is the past clean slate time.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
But your opinion is a load of drivel. Look how El Abd has improved in recent years. What's to say Hammond hasn't done the same.

Give the guy a chance to at least turn up to training before you tear him a new asshole! Jeez!!!!

Summed up well buddy

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
There are dozens of players out there he could have signed. It's not even a position we need someone in. He must know Hammond is hated here so for me its more proof that Poyet is interested in nobody but himself. I don't really want a man like that in charge of my team. I'd rather somebody who respected the wishes of the people who pay his wages.

Tony Bloom pays his wages. Makes me laugh the inflated self importance of some fans. Think you should dictate Marks and Spencer's sock buying policy as well.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I think Gus was genuinely shocked last season when we were overpowered and brushed aside physically in midfield by teams like West Ham. I think he doesn't want a repeat of that. Hammond and Crofts will ensure a certain combative "bite" when needed against the more powerful teams when we are away from home especially.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think Gus was genuinely shocked last season when we were overpowered and brushed aside physically in midfield by teams like West Ham. I think he doesn't want a repeat of that. Hammond and Crofts will ensure a certain combative "bite" when needed against the more powerful teams when we are away from home especially.

Very accurate assessment. I think if we do go up this year Hammond may have played a significant part alongside Crofts and Bridcutt as that is where we struggled last year.

If we do go up, Hammond is only on loan who's to say he'll stay?

Hans Kraay

Aug 3, 2003
Church Langley, Essex
I could be wrong but at the Amex there could be 20,000 fans who really don't have a clue what were all wound up about.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
what an odd post. "a plodding, hard-working box to box midfielder with a good touch but no real pace or outstanding quality to shout about; is this what we need? " yes, yes we do need a hard working box to box midfielder, who's also decent in the air (you missed out). if it wasnt for his bit of history, Hammond is exactly the player that we need to anchor midfield alongside/cover Bridcutt. ok so lots of people dont like him fair enough, but saying this is a bad move for footballing reasons is just bollocks.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham

Sounds fair to me.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
People need to put the spat to one side and see this as a footballing decision (as gus has)

Hammond was a club captain for a promoted side in this division so another leader on the pitch. He is tall, good in the air, can tackle and weighs in with a few goals.

If people are really saying he offers no more than dicker or vincelot then they need to take their hate filled glasses off

Hammond has some work to do in winning over the fans there is no doubt about that but suggestions of booing him or that this is not a good signing for football reasons are ridiculous

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I was never a fan of Hammond, even when he was with us before. However, I think, after sleeping on it, that he is just what we were looking for in midfield. Big, powerful, a leader, and scores a few goals.

I will give him a chance.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
I could be wrong but at the Amex there could be 20,000 fans who really don't have a clue what were all wound up about.

Well, there's a fellow up in Sunderland who is rather shocked that Hammond's arrival seems to have removed so much of the joy that was being expressed at the signings of Dobbie and Lopez, for many on here. It was as if someone had poured a bucket of cold water over the excited NorthStand messageboarders.
I gather he left in rather acrimonious circumstances and made an insulting gesture when returning to play for The Saints. I can understand the ill-feeling that would generate but I'm surprised it seems to have wiped out the warm feeling generated by the other new arrivals for so many.
It appears to me that 31st August, 2012 was a memorable day for all the right reasons. I'm delighted CMS is still a B&HA player as well. Play-offs at least are a realistic target now.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I was never a fan of Hammond, even when he was with us before. However, I think, after sleeping on it, that he is just what we were looking for in midfield. Big, powerful, a leader, and scores a few goals.

I will give him a chance.

And he can take a penalty and apart from Barnes we don't really have anyone else in the team who can. But he was a complete cock to us at Withdean when there was absolutely no need to be. I really don't like the bloke.

Stumpy Tim

Gus has brought in four players who know how to get out of this division - Orlandi, Crofts, Hammond and Dobbie. It's what Warnock does year in year out and gets respect for it. Not only has Gus got these four in, he's also built a festival of FLAIR around them. How people can moan I don't know.

Hammond brings an aerial goal threat from midfield we don't have. Gus was complaining that we've had no one with height to get on the end of crosses. Hammond is the man for that.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Hammond will be used in a midfield 3 with Crofts and Bridcutt when keeping things solid and as cover for Crofts or Bridcutt when Orlandi, Vicente or Lopez play as part of the midfield three.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here