Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Hammond - a bad signing for footballing reasons.

Old Greg

It's Choade My Dear
Feb 5, 2008
Is it just me that thinks holdng a grudge against Hammond for celebrating is a bit pathetic? Seriously, get over it - if you're that sensitive I haven't a clue how you actually live. Before you ask I was at the game, I also watched every home game he played for us back in the day and he was a fantastic player, which is why he was club captain; another sign of the quality of chap. Move on with your life, you must be very unhappy people.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Is it just me that thinks holdng a grudge against Hammond for celebrating is a bit pathetic? Seriously, get over it - if you're that sensitive I haven't a clue how you actually live. Before you ask I was at the game, I also watched every home game he played for us back in the day and he was a fantastic player, which is why he was club captain; another sign of the quality of chap. Move on with your life, you must be very unhappy people.

Very much this.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland

wise words

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
I find it amazing that we loan the saints skipper from back to back promotions and some of us still complain. Previous history aside he is a better player than Spadge , Dicker and Harley and as far as I have seen can A.Run b.Hold onto the ball c.WIN headers d.passes forward not just side ways e.is a leader on and off the park f.has some attitude about him On this note he is a GOOD signing for many reasons as he has made us stronger as a team and especially in the centre of the park- Good luck to him!

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003

A sensible view.

Those of us who supported the club through the Withdean years and before have a responsibility to set an example to the club's new fans or those who have been enticed back. Booing our own players is simply unacceptable.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
But Hammond is a player from a bygone era, yes, he was arguably our best midfielder when we had Richard Carpenter or Charlie Oatway as the direct competition. Now he is unwanted at Southampton (behind the likes of Schneiderlin, for one) because they are a better side than us. I don't understand the argument? Yes, he captained a (very good) side that went up? Christophe Dugarry has a World Cup winners medal. Now playing alongside the likes of Bridcutt, Vicente (when fit), Crofts - a much better team playing at a higher level, I just don't consider the signing inspiring or particularly beneficial for the team. David Lopez, on the other hand, looks like a fantastic signing. As does Dobbie. As were Bruno, Bridge, Kuszczak..

We NEEDED a keeper, we got a great one. We NEEDED depth in the full back positions, we got it. We NEEDED a striker, we got one. Lopez will be an outstanding replacement for Noone. What we didn't need was a middle-pace, middle-of-the-road central midfield player who is not good enough for a struggling, newly-promoted PL side. We have Sparrow/Dicker/Vincelot/Crofts/Bridcutt/Vicente on the books and we let Forster-Caskey go on loan. Then there's poor Alan Navarro who was very unlucky to be moved on at the end of last season. I truly, honestly believe any one of those players are as able as Hammond. Not Harley.

As I said previously, you will always have to deal with extremists who can't stand any vaguely antagonistic comments about our players on here - it's human nature. The tribal, blind nature of some fans is remarkable.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
But Hammond is a player from a bygone era, yes, he was arguably our best midfielder when we had Richard Carpenter or Charlie Oatway as the direct competition. Now he is unwanted at Southampton (behind the likes of Schneiderlin, for one) because they are a better side than us. I don't understand the argument? Yes, he captained a (very good) side that went up? Christophe Dugarry has a World Cup winners medal. Now playing alongside the likes of Bridcutt, Vicente (when fit), Crofts - a much better team playing at a higher level, I just don't consider the signing inspiring or particularly beneficial for the team. David Lopez, on the other hand, looks like a fantastic signing. As does Dobbie. As were Bruno, Bridge, Kuszczak..

We NEEDED a keeper, we got a great one. We NEEDED depth in the full back positions, we got it. We NEEDED a striker, we got one. Lopez will be an outstanding replacement for Noone. What we didn't need was a middle-pace, middle-of-the-road central midfield player who is not good enough for a struggling, newly-promoted PL side. We have Sparrow/Dicker/Vincelot/Crofts/Bridcutt/Vicente on the books and we let Forster-Caskey go on loan. Then there's poor Alan Navarro who was very unlucky to be moved on at the end of last season. I truly, honestly believe any one of those players are as able as Hammond. Not Harley.

As I said previously, you will always have to deal with extremists who can't stand any vaguely antagonistic comments about our players on here - it's human nature. The tribal, blind nature of some fans is remarkable.

I do like this post but Sparrow and Vincelots days are clearly numbered.

Alan was let go because his contract expired.

We will be lucky to get 15/20 games out of Vicente.

JFC is still learning his trade.

Dicker is just to sloooooooooooooooowwwwwwwww although prob feature on the bench going forward.

Bridders yes. Crofts yes (hammond clearly cover for him adds a bit of "steel")

Harley can eff off and again will find himself down the pecking order thank god.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Also, I'm very surprised that no official investigation was opened into his actions at the Oldham (a) match. I was there, and I believe he INTENTIONALLY got himself sent off in order to force a move elsewhere. It was the most ridiculous tackle and could only possibly have ended in a red card, 100% of the time. I wonder if he was ever fined?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
This - I have to admit that at the time it was announced I posted I was a little underwhelmed, which was down to the whole buildup which had surrounded the announcement. Certainly don't hold anything against him for celebrating a goal.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
If he can prove himself in his first game back for us, it will take time for us to forgive and forget. But He will have to give 110% in the next 6 games or more and prove he wants to be here, and not here for anything other then proving an point to Adkins and Scumhampton.

Old Greg

It's Choade My Dear
Feb 5, 2008

First of all I don't know if you remember (you probably do but as we disagree with the talents of Hammond its another disagreement) but Chippy was a very good footballer, so the fact Hammond was better isn't a slight on either of them.

We'll see won't we, if Hammond is better than we currently have in the shape of Sparrow Harley and dicker (who i think are all more than acceptable players) but it is/was clear that we struggled in middle, often over ran due to pace?Strength? or whatever, as i remember DH he seems a sensible player to approach. This is semi irrelevant to my main point; that he shouldn't be chastised for a little stupid thing he did several years ago. Steve Coppell MKII

Old Greg

It's Choade My Dear
Feb 5, 2008
This - I have to admit that at the time it was announced I posted I was a little underwhelmed, which was down to the whole buildup which had surrounded the announcement. Certainly don't hold anything against him for celebrating a goal.

This is the funny thing, I was away at the time it was announced - so i didnt see the whole thing unwind nor see others opinions - and when i got the text through I was really excited, genuinely. Hammond was one of my favorite players when he was here last; and i remember all the positive things he did when he was here.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
How does getting yourself suspended, help to attract interest from another club?

I think it makes a statement that you are unwilling to play at your current club under the current manager on the current pay packet well enough doesn't it? If you remember, the accepted rumour was deals had been agreed with several clubs but Dick Knight couldn't agree a fee. I think his sending off forced the club's hand. I think it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think it makes a statement that you are unwilling to play at your current club under the current manager on the current pay packet well enough doesn't it? If you remember, the accepted rumour was deals had been agreed with several clubs but Dick Knight couldn't agree a fee. I think his sending off forced the club's hand. I think it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I understand that, yes. The straw would have been entirely superfluous though - that match was played two weeks from the end of the January transfer window. He knew, DK knew, DW knew and the pursuing clubs knew, that he was not signing a new deal, and we needed to take the cash.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think, to a certain extent, you've missed the point a bit. I often argue that I think the whole 'rivalry with Palace' thing is pathetic seeing as it came from nowhere just by chance circumstance, and it only really lasted for a few years - and we've hardly played each other in the last thirty. However I accept that having rivals (and hating them) is part of football, so even though I don't buy into it I accept it. Ditto having hate figures who are 'hated' for things that are really quite trivial.

Old Greg

It's Choade My Dear
Feb 5, 2008
I think, to a certain extent, you've missed the point a bit. I often argue that I think the whole 'rivalry with Palace' thing is pathetic seeing as it came from nowhere just by chance circumstance, and it only really lasted for a few years - and we've hardly played each other in the last thirty. However I accept that having rivals (and hating them) is part of football, so even though I don't buy into it I accept it. Ditto having hate figures who are 'hated' for things that are really quite trivial.

Don't get me wrong I hated the chap, i sat right where the 'incident' happened and obviously effed and jeffed at him as much as the next chap. However he now is a brighton player thus I will support him. I agree with having these hated figures we all LOVE a villian, but what he did doesn't really deserve him not to be supported by his new team.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So, to summarise, Hammond is a good signing for footballing reasons - evidence = he captained and made a significant contribution to a team that won promotion from the division we are in. He p1ssed off many of our fans when playing for Stains at Withdean, but most will give him 100% support now he has returned.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
So, to summarise, Hammond is a bad signing for footballing reasons - evidence = he is no better than what we already have. He p1ssed off many of our fans when playing for Stains at Withdean, but most will give him 100% support now he has returned.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
So, to summarise, Hammond is a bad signing for footballing reasons - evidence = he is no better than what we already have. He p1ssed off many of our fans when playing for Stains at Withdean, but most will give him 100% support now he has returned.

He looks a lot better signing "for football reasons" now Crofts is knackered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here