Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Hammond - a bad signing for footballing reasons.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
It is a forum. To discuss things and give opinions. Opine for me in my thread, don't question my worthiness to give my view. Or get out.

Your opening post was fair enough but this little riposte makes you just look like a tonge.

At the end of the day he's a loan player who captained a team to promotion from the Championship.

Gus's opinion is that he can do a job for us that the existing players can't; your opinion is that he can't do that job.

Hmm, who's opinion shall I go with........?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Do people really think Hammond would bother coming here from a Premier League club to be cover for someone? He'll surely go straight into the team and, alongside Bridcutt and Crofts, that gives us a really strong looking central midfield. That means the attacking players will be free to go forward and Gus's tactics take on a whole new dimension.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
He was the first name on the teamsheet and captain for a team that got promoted two seasons in a row...
This this and this again.

He's been there, done it. Can't see what the problem is. Let's not forget he didn't want to leave in the end, and was forced out by Dick Knight, so maybe being pissed off at the club at the time is a little understandable.

Great signing IMO, and if we do go up, hand him back to Southampton and buy something better, just as Saints have done. Not that hard to work out is it?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I'm willing to try out this 'giving him a second chance' malarkey, but I don't envisage it being easy. I've held a long-standing grudge against Hammond for the obvious reasons & part of me will feel forever compelled to give him some pwoppa stick. I think I might well be investing in a ball gag over the w/end.

Whoa, steady! Or were you going to wear it at the Amex as well? :smile:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What is likely to happen, two weeks from now, is the fans will clap Hammond, Hammond will clap the fans and everyone will just move on.
:sick:

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Didn't a saints fan on here yesterday say he was key to their promotion last season? That's good enough for me.

peejay1958

Aug 22, 2011
Southwick
Worth remembering that a large proportion of the fans at the Amex will not have seen Dean Hammond play for the Albion so probably aren't that bothered about his previous indiscretions. There can be few of us who have not done things that we regret so perhaps its time to forgive and forget and give him a chance.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't think that the way or reason for Hammond leaving would have come into Gus's thinking as he wasn't manager then. My only concern is with his rash tackling just outside of our penalty box to give away free kicks other than that I think he will be a useful addition but as he says he is older so may have learnt, lets hope so.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The OP is just plain wrong in that he completely fails to recognize Dean Hammond's significant contribution to Stains success in the last 2 season, including their success in our current league... he has clearly improved as a player...

Hammond has already stated that he knows he needs to win our fans back. If I were him, then I'd apologize for his Withdean gesture and all will be well, and we can focus on gaining promotion.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
OP you do realise that Hammond is a footballer? Yes a footballer of average intelligence and still quite young, he's not trying to win the Nobel peace prize or find a cure for cancer or run for prime minister ffs, he made a cock of himself for sure when he reacted like he did at Withdean but he was younger and it was done in the heat of the moment, give the fella a break Christ. He's admitted he is older and wiser and has grown up and also admits he needs to win the fans back over and that's fine by me and the majority it seems. He's willing to put the blue and white stripes on and fight for our cause so for that he gets my respect and I'm sure he will repay that by kissing the badge when he scores or some other gesture.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
OP you do realise that Hammond is a footballer? Yes a footballer of average intelligence and still quite young, he's not trying to win the Nobel peace prize or find a cure for cancer or run for prime minister ffs, he made a cock of himself for sure when he reacted like he did at Withdean but he was younger and it was done in the heat of the moment, give the fella a break Christ. He's admitted he is older and wiser and has grown up and also admits he needs to win the fans back over and that's fine by me and the majority it seems. He's willing to put the blue and white stripes on and fight for our cause so for that he gets my respect and I'm sure he will repay that by kissing the badge when he scores or some other gesture.

Quite possibly the most sensible post I have read on here all day

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
All it says to me is that Poyet doesn't respect the fans.

The way you show disrespect to the fans is by finishing something like 18th.

If we're sitting on 85+ points come the end of May, and Hammond has anything to do with it, no one will care where Hammond came from, or why he left the first time.

Blessed be The Table, the righteous judge.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Has he actually apologised for the gesture yet?

I'm not happy about him coming back, but he's a pretty good Championship midfielder and I'll certainly not boo him while he's playing in our colours but until he says sorry, no forgiveness.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hammond gives us something different. An aerial threat, a goal threat. The likes of Bridcutt, Dicker and Crofts don't get too many goals but Hammond will chip in with 8 or 9 a season. Life's too short to dwell on the past, if Hammond has the balls to move back then I'm willing to cut him some slack.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
All it says to me is that Poyet doesn't respect the fans. Therefore, unless we are doing really well, why should we respect him? He's playing a dangerous game.

Wow, that's as big a piece of crap as I've read in a while, on just so may levels.

Does Gus have to get fan approval of his ignings first?
What if the fans dislike of a player is a massive over-reaction, does that mean Gus can dismiss that view, or must he still "respect the fans" and not sign the player?
How many / what percentage of fans "disapproval" should scupper a deal?
How does this get gauged, with an NSC poll prior to completin the signing?

Dear oh dear TCB, I'll put that post down to the time in the morning it was made, and that in the cold light of day you're thinking, "did I really post that?" :facepalm:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

Just to address this post, I refer you to the title of the thread in addition to the CONTENT of my OP. Christ. FOOTBALLING REASONS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here