Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Hammond - a bad signing for footballing reasons.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I personally find the signing of Dean Hammond extremely disappointing. Hammond was, for us, a decent League One player many years ago - in the context of a middling side. We are now a Championship team who, I believe, should be strengthening in our push towards the Premier League.

I saw Hammond at an away fixture (it proved to be his final appearance in an Albion shirt - or so we thought) intentionally dive in two footed, about fifteen minutes into the match. He got a deserved straight red card and, arguably, cost us the match, I would say not coincidentally in the middle of his ongoing contract dispute with Wilkins/Knight. He subsequently moved to Southampton for a knockdown £250,000, where he served out the remainder of his suspension.

Subsequently, playing (and captaining) one of our rivals hasn't helped his popularity here (neither than infamous gesture he made at Withdean) - the guy isn't exactly proving himself to be a real fan favourite. In fact, he comes across (even now, I'm sure) to most as a lower-league mercenary - like most professional footballers.

But my reasons aren't actually personal, I genuinely question what exactly Hammond offers that Dicker, Sparrow or even Vincelot don't already within the squad. Hammond was always a plodding, hard-working box to box midfielder with a good touch but no real pace or outstanding quality to shout about; is this what we need? From what I have seen, when we are poor it is often due to a LACK of pace and ingenuity in the side; we can look extremely one-dimensional with so many square-passing midfielders in the side (these rigid (i.e. Bridcutt/Dicker/Sparrow)line ups under Gus often coincide with our very poorest performances/results under his tenure)) - I would argue that Hammond is exactly what we DON'T need. As a season ticket holder at the time of Hammond's 'success', he was playing alongside the likes of Kerry Mayo, Richard Carpenter and Marc McCammon - who I'm sure are all lovely guys, but not exactly pushing-for-Premier-League material. Now, a few years on - surely no quicker, loathed by some fan and not needed by a struggling Premier League side, I question our ambition in signing him.

In earnest, I think this signing is extremely negative; re-signing Crofts - a better all-round footballer who went on to get Premier League experience after leaving us, and who left on good terms, was one thing - re-signing Hammond is a different kettle of fish and very troubling. I'd go for Vincelot (deemed surplus) over Hammond any day.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I agree in that I don't see Hammond as a significant improvement over Spadge or Vincespamalot, but it's Poyet's call.

Hammond was certainly one of our better players in that Championship team of a few years ago, he too may have improved since then.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
He went to Colchester.

It's only an loan.

Why should a signing have to meet with our approval?

It is a forum. To discuss things and give opinions. Opine for me in my thread, don't question my worthiness to give my view. Or get out.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I don't particularly rate Hammond. He is better than Dicker though by quite a margin so for that reason, I'm happy enough to see him back. I struggle to see where the 3 midfielders (potentially 4 as that's where Dobbie has been playing recently) do fit in mind.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Hammond, Hammond, Hammond. Ok this is embarrassing now.

Sorry did I dream we signed three other players today?

This forum is depressing. Instead of focusing on some fantastic new additions this forum is awash with negativity.

I reckon if we signed Rooney there would be people complaining we haven't signed Falcao.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

This forum is depressing. Instead of focusing on some fantastic new additions this forum is awash with negativity.

I reckon if we signed Rooney there would be people complaining we haven't signed Falcao.

Right, but what has that got to do with the topic of my thread?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Have to agree. Don't like the man but beyond that argument I just don't think he's a particularly good footballer at this level, does a very good invisible man impression. With Bridcutt & Crofts as first choice holding pair and Dicker, Sparrow, Vincelot & Harley all still at the club...is he really worth having? Other than Harley I'm not sure he's better than what we already have.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
All it says to me is that Poyet doesn't respect the fans. Therefore, unless we are doing really well, why should we respect him? He's playing a dangerous game.

If he thinks Hammond, captain of promoted Saints last season, can help get us to the Premiership I'd suggest that's "doing the fans a solid" as that's where most of us want to be.

He's respecting those wishes :shrug:

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Right, but what has that got to do with the topic of my thread?

I meant to say it was not directly related to your thread but there is so much negative shit across the board on Hammond tonight its difficult to know where to put this.

As I say - it's not directed at you. Just a general moan of frustration at all the negativity. Let give the lad a chance again.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I think you're being a bit unfair there. Hammond re-signing is the biggest talking point for many because of his history, it coming right out of left field and because in tonight's sequence of events there was hope of a marquee signing to complete our dealings.

As such a lot of conversation will focus on his return over the next few waking hours. Come tomorrow afternoon, attentions will turn to the Burnley game and then, after the post-match inquest, thoughts will turn to Sheffield Wednesday and just what team Gus will be putting out given him embarrassment of riches.

What is likely to happen, two weeks from now, is the fans will clap Hammond, Hammond will clap the fans and everyone will just move on.

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
Hammond is miles better than Vincelot, Dicker, Sparrow and Harley. So a good signing in my opinion.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I meant to say it was not directly related to your thread but there is so much negative shit across the board on Hammond tonight its difficult to know where to put this.

As I say - it's not directed at you. Just a general moan of frustration at all the negativity. Let give the lad a chance again.

Most will 'give the lad a chance' and find him to be exactly the same player who left us years ago - but older. Many will post threads commenting on this. People like you will respond criticising the 'negativity' of said fans for criticising one of our own for being an average player. There is no way to fairly comment on an internet forum without dealing with - frankly - extremists from either contradictory viewpoint in almost any subject.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There are dozens of players out there he could have signed. It's not even a position we need someone in. He must know Hammond is hated here so for me its more proof that Poyet is interested in nobody but himself. I don't really want a man like that in charge of my team. I'd rather somebody who respected the wishes of the people who pay his wages.

What's good for Poyet right now is good for the Albion. What's good for the Albion is good for Albion fans.

I'm struggling to understand why we need so many midfielders, but Gus must have a plan somewhere in that crazy looking head of his. Let's see how that works out, eh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here