Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi was NOT “sacked”

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Quite right. Clubs should only ever buy under 25s. Perhaps UEFA could put in a safeguarding law that once you hit 25 you stay at whatever club you’re playing for, even if it’s Grimsby.
Marseille can buy all the unsellable assets they want as far as I'm concerned. They've already been quite good at that - one of the oldest and most expensive squads - and need to severly reduce costs if UEFA or DNCG aren't to punish them. Not sure how Roberto De Zerbi fits into the plan of cutting wage costs with some 30% but I'm certainly looking forward to see it.

Marseille is a big club and will probably sort it out somehow. In general you're right though, clubs should absolutely make most of their signings in the under-25 category, its plain stupidity not to.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The point being that the club are happy to "spunk" £60 - £80m on 4-5 unproven players, but not prepared to do so on 2-3 experienced players.
i.e. the focus would seem to be on profitability, not the needs of the first team.
You're ignoring wages.

4 or 5 unproven players on say £30k/w each (£6m pa to £7.5m pa) v. 2 or 3 proven players, typically on say £100k/w (£10m to £15m pa). And then you'd need to pay all existing players more too.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
You're ignoring wages.

4 or 5 unproven players on say £30k/w each (£6m pa to £7.5m pa) v. 2 or 3 proven players, typically on say £100k/w (£10m to £15m pa). And then you'd need to pay all existing players more too.
You are quite right, but in your favour i don't think unproven players will get anywhere near the £30k a week each.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
You're ignoring wages.

100% this. It amazes me that even now people don't understand how massive the wages issue is in signing proven players.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is it too soon to say he was sacked?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is it too soon to say he was sacked?
I would hazard a guess he was given a choice. Live with our recruitment policy and make it work, or go for a mutual agreement arrangement. So it was mutual agreement, as was clearly stated. Very clearly stated. Unequivocally clearly stated, And emailed, at length, to all interested parties.

So yes, he was sacked then.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I would hazard a guess he was given a choice. Live with our recruitment policy and make it work, or go for a mutual agreement arrangement. So it was mutual agreement, as was clearly stated. Very clearly stated. Unequivocally clearly stated, And emailed, at length, to all interested parties.

So yes, he was sacked then.
:lolol:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Apparently he strongly pushed for a particular stationery supplier, but then lost faith in them part way through the signing.
He keeps insisting on swapping between two pens in a macho attempt to show how big his balls are, even though one pen is obviously superior whilst the other is very leaky.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Marseille are very unlikely to spend a lot of money this summer. Probably a lot less than Brighton. But Marseille is probably his only decent option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here