Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

davies joins yeovil

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Glenn is a pretty good striker though. I seem to recall last year everyone was wanking over him, what has happened to make you nerds change your mind?

Indeed Don, he IS a pretty good striker, but he wanted away shortly after he joined us (& it showed). That said, I think given the present situation I can't see it's in anybody's interest to banish him to the ressies or the bench. We need his goals; & if he wants a move to Whippetsville he needs to be performing. Like many others I don't feel happy about the situation - but I conceed that pragmatism is prob's the only viable solution..

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Indeed Don, he IS a pretty good striker, but he wanted away shortly after he joined us (& it showed). That said, I think given the present situation I can't see it's in anybody's interest to banish him to the ressies or the bench. We need his goals; & if he wants a move to Whippetsville he needs to be performing. Like many others I don't feel happy about the situation - but I conceed that pragmatism is prob's the only viable solution..

Sorry TT, Yes he is an excellent striker but I can't think where he has showed on the pitch, that he wants away, he has always looked decent whenever I've seen him, even when coming back from injury. Or are we back to not clapping at Brentford?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Sorry TT, Yes he is an excellent striker but I can't think where he has showed on the pitch, that he wants away, he has always looked decent whenever I've seen him, even when coming back from injury. Or are we back to not clapping at Brentford?

No, it's not a Brentfordgate thing with me. It's just a personal observation/feeling I've had since he joined us. He just hasn't looked that interested in being with us imo (& that was long before I knew about his personal issues). :shrug:

Glenn is a pretty good striker though. I seem to recall last year everyone was wanking over him, what has happened to make you nerds change your mind?

First part you are right about, he's pretty good at scoring goals.

However, compare Murray with Gary Hart, for instance;

Gary Hart - OGH, nicknamed and highly regarded for his intent and industry in chasing for balls, running down lost causes unflaggingly, and appearing to care that the Albion get something out of every game.

Glenn Murray - er.... none of the above. Doesn't go after any lost ball, gives up if he loses the ball himself, no regard for the fans.

Gary Hart - not particularly skilled, little natural ability for scoring or dribbling around defenders, misses one-on-one chances against keepers.

Glenn Murray - skilled, natural ability, scores goals, waltzes around defenders.

So, why is a player who doesn't really score much, is over the hill and already been let go by one manager seemingly rather popular with everyone, while the other one is quite unpopular?

Murray, by his own nature, is not even trying to endear himself to the fans who pay to watch him. If he was a gladiator and happened to lose a fight even after winning hundreds, he would be voted for the thumbsdown chop in that pinch! :shrug:

Although Murray might think he's got a right to be worshipped and admired, he's apparently not all that smart. Anyone with an iota of sense would realise; that hard work and a recognition of entertainment relationships with the audience are what makes the difference between a lousy tosser who will stay relatively unknown and be easily forgotten, and a legend who will climb their professional ladder to the top and be spoken of in reverence for years to come.

Compare Leon Knight with Bobby Zamora, and their professional paths.
Both talents that scored hatfuls - but what a difference in their attitude....and their professional paths and bank-accounts!
And, back to our point - what a difference in the fans' regard for each of them.

Oh, and if Mr Murray ever got to read this; it's quite alright if you don't want to clap the traveling fans for their support and in that way look like you are with them, honestly. It's honestly alright if you think you are so amazingly skilled that the rest of the team should do their jobs and live up to your high-bar of ability, and it's alright if you think or analyze that it's sycophantic to endear yourself with a seemingly fickle fanbase.
You can live in the wonderfully real world where your own personal judgment applies to the group of people who pay to see you.
And it's really alright if that esteemed opinion sees you slide off the football map fairly soon (in career terms) and no-one gives a toss about it (just like you). Honestly, no sarcasm here - it's all in the game mate, you can do e-x-a-c-t-l-y as you choose!

It's a high profile that pro footballers enjoy.... or can end up ruing. You often don't need to compile a CV - because you do it every time you are on stage.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here