Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Healy

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Poyet on Healy Speculation

Gus Poyet has played down media reports linking Albion with Northern Ireland's all-time leading scorer David Healy.

Press speculation has suggested the Albion boss was lining up a move for the Sunderland striker, and while Poyet has dismissed the reports as rumours, he does admit Healy is the type of striker he wants to help spearhead the club's promotion push.

He told seagulls.co.uk, "I suspect these rumours came about because I know him very well and he is a person that I enjoyed working with when I was at Leeds. It's because of the relationship that I have with him, and people know that we have been talking about a striker.

"That said, from my point of view, I would love to have David with us. However that is another matter because we have not spoken to anyone about it and we have not contacted the club, so it is nothing more than speculation."

Healy, currently Northern Ireland's leading scorer with 35 goals, began his career with Manchester United, before moving to Preston North End - where he was prolific.

He also enjoyed a prosperous spell with Leeds United, before moving to the Premiership with Fulham in 2007 and onto Sunderland in 2008 - where he has struggled to establish himself in the first team.

Poyet added, "He's a kind of player that we would like: he is very good in front of goal and a real goalscorer. He is also good around the box and at the moment we do not have his type of player at the club.

"However we need to respect the position of the players; David is in the Premiership; if we were interested, we cannot just expect him to come down two divisions and play for us because of me, because of the stadium, or because of our position in the table."

oh well

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
There is a bit more in the Argus story:

Albion boss Gus Poyet has played down speculation linking the Seagulls with a loan swoop for Sunderland's out-of-favour Northern Ireland international striker David Healy.

Poyet insists he had no plans to make a move for Healy, a player he worked with at Leeds, but has hinted that situation could change.

He told The Argus: "I was in the dressing room yesterday at Withdean and Gordon Greer had a newspaper and said I was in there. I thought what have I done and then saw the situation with David.

"I think people put two and two together - a player who is not playing, who was playing with Northern Ireland and we have been talking about a striker.

"I just feel sorry for Sunderland and for David, because it is not fair for them both that his name has come up without us even moving for him.

"It's a great shout. I absolutely love him as a player and a person and I have a great relationship with him. Is this going to make us get in touch with Sunderland or David? I don't know, I hope so, but he wasn't in our plans.

"With all respect to him, we have got another ten or 15 names. We have gone through all the names of players not playing in the Premiership where you think you won't have a chance, then you go down to the Championship and then you try to find out.

"We are trying to find out in a very respectful way, talking to the club first to see if it is an option, then talking to the player. This one has come out of the blue and everybody is calling me.

"Even people from Leeds are saying to take him and I am thinking wait, I haven't moved for him. We'll see, I would love to, no doubt."

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Why would the official site go into a specific player if it were just plain rubbish rumours. We have been linked with many players and they haven't commented before. I guess there is something in this.

I think he would be perfect for us in this league

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The most important thing in the article was...

"With all respect to him, we have got another ten or 15 names. We have gone through all the names of players not playing in the Premiership where you think you won't have a chance, then you go down to the Championship and then you try to find out.

That suggests that in all likelihood a new name is going to arrive sometime in the future, even if it isn't Healy.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
"...we cannot just expect him to come down two divisions and play for us because of me, because of the stadium, or because of our position in the table."

I love the artful psychology that Gus employs in the words above. It’s a bit like a man saying “She’s not going to like me simply because of my good looks, charisma and great wealth”.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Sounds to me as if the club have decided to get Gus to put out the statement so as to lower people's transfer expectations.

Still, hope i'm wrong

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Poyet added, "He's a kind of player that we would like: he is very good in front of goal and a real goalscorer. He is also good around the box and at the moment we do not have his type of player at the club.

Suggests Poyet isn't overly keen on what Sandaza has done so far IMO as he said Sandaza was that player when he signed etc!

Also...

"Even people from Leeds are saying to take him and I am thinking wait, I haven't moved for him. We'll see, I would love to, no doubt."

Yesterday in the Argus he said Greer had a paper with him and it was the first Gus had heard of the rumour - which doesn't add up if people at Leeds are saying take him!!! I think we've been trying to get him as a result of that... Not saying we will - but I think we're sniffing around...

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
"...we cannot just expect him to come down two divisions and play for us because of me, because of the stadium, or because of our position in the table."

I love the artful psychology that Gus employs in the words above. It’s a bit like a man saying “She’s not going to like me simply because of my good looks, charisma and great wealth”.

:thumbsup:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
GUS will try i have no doubt, when Xmas comes around as a little gift to us all f or the new year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here