Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Bellotti

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I thought I'd share this with some people, as they were interested in his reply. Three months ago I wrote to David Bellotti asking him if he would be prepared to come on to The Albion Roar as a guest...

Mr Bellotti

In my spare time, I am a regular on show on Radio Reverb (Community Radio for Brighton) called 'The Albion Roar'.

As the name implies, it is an hour-long chit-chat show on all things Brighton & Hove Albion. We have had many people involved in the club - both past and present - on the show, and I was wondering if you might be prepared to participate.

I appreciate being travelling 130 or so miles to the studio may be inconvenient, but I am prepared to travel to Bath in order to record an interview for the show, principally to talk about your support for the club and your time as Chief Executive, and your hopes for the future of the Albion.

Please could you let me know if you are willing to participate, and we can make some arrangements.

Many thanks and best regards

Alan Wares
pp The Albion Roar

and he replied within an hour and a half with this little gem...

Dear Alan

Thank you for your email. I decided a very long time ago not to give any more interviews regarding the Albion because a small minority always reacted badly to whatever I said. I’m sorry they prevent such excellent mediums as Community Radio from exploring all angles of the club’s history. I do wish you every success with ‘The Albion Roar’ and I’m sure along with all Albion supporters you cannot now wait for the kick off in the new stadium (and promotion!).

I bought my first season ticket at the Albion in 1974 when the then Directors were looking for a new site to build a stadium. It’s been a very long wait.

Best wishes
David Bellotti

I considered his answer to be the usual gibberish bluster I was half-expecting. I thought of writing back to ask him to re-consider but then it occured to me, as much as I find him a pitiable, abomination of an individual, I now just feel I can't be bothered to get riled about him any more.

True, he played his part in disfiguring the club I so cherish (thankfully not permanently), but as we move to the new stadium, for me, it's a chapter coming to a close and while he should be remembered as a cautionary tale both for the Albion and for other clubs, he is persona non grata - in my heart, he no longer exists.

I feel a new Albion is being born - one of optimism, hope and sunshine.

I'm sure that this is something some people have been feeling for quite a while now, and what I'm saying is not exactly news, but reading back that old email, to the last, Bellotti was charm and smarm itself. However, I just felt 'I can't be bothered with this bile and hatred and animosity any more'.

No matter what anyone tried to do to the club, Bill Archer, Greg Stanley, David Bellotti and a myriad of other individuals and companies - you know who you are - who tried to stop us and wear us down, we won. We fought, and wrote and donated and marched and canvassed and fought some more. AND WE BLOODY WON.

We are Brighton, the fans, the community, the club, the team - and it just makes me smile. In our hearts - we cannot be beaten. We just can't. Many have tried - all have failed.

I have never felt so proud and pleased and satisfied watching the Albion as I have done this season. And I have never felt so proud, pleased and satisfied at all the people who have brought light, love and happiness back to this club. And I have never felt so proud, pleased and satisfied to be an Albion fan, to be taking my seat in a stadium alongside - and fit for - the most patient, loyal and considerate fans anywhere.

C'est la belle epoque.

This heartfelt rant was brought to you in association with a bottle of Australian shiraz. :kiss:

Last edited:

WestUpperClub69

Home at last
Apr 14, 2011
Alan, Wow, enjoy your Shiraz my friend. An absolute fantastic post reminding us how proud we all should be of a magnificent club with a magnificent history and a magnificent future.

Good work, sharing the love

Muhammad - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
This heartfelt rant was brought to you in association with a bottle of Australian shiraz. :kiss:
i too am on the shiraz tonight (as is the norm)
an excellent choice if i may be so bold.
ive always found the south eastern region to produce the very best shiraz.

ps...shoulda chinned the fucker

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I thought I'd share this with some people, as they were interested in his reply. Three months ago I wrote to David Bellotti asking him if he would be prepared to come on to The Albion Roar as a guest...

Mr Bellotti

In my spare time, I am a regular on show on Radio Reverb (Community Radio for Brighton) called 'The Albion Roar'.

As the name implies, it is an hour-long chit-chat show on all things Brighton & Hove Albion. We have had many people involved in the club - both past and present - on the show, and I was wondering if you might be prepared to participate.

I appreciate being travelling 130 or so miles to the studio may be inconvenient, but I am prepared to travel to Bath in order to record an interview for the show, principally to talk about your support for the club and your time as Chief Executive, and your hopes for the future of the Albion.

Please could you let me know if you are willing to participate, and we can make some arrangements.

Many thanks and best regards

Alan Wares
pp The Albion Roar

and he replied within an hour and a half with this little gem...

Dear Alan

Thank you for your email. I decided a very long time ago not to give any more interviews regarding the Albion because a small minority always reacted badly to whatever I said. I’m sorry they prevent such excellent mediums as Community Radio from exploring all angles of the club’s history. I do wish you every success with ‘The Albion Roar’ and I’m sure along with all Albion supporters you cannot now wait for the kick off in the new stadium (and promotion!).

I bought my first season ticket at the Albion in 1974 when the then Directors were looking for a new site to build a stadium. It’s been a very long wait.

Best wishes
David Bellotti

I considered his answer to be the usual gibberish bluster I was half-expecting. I thought of writing back to ask him to re-consider but then it occured to me, as much as I find him a pitiable, abomination of an individual, I now just feel I can't be bothered to get riled about him any more.

True, he played his part in disfiguring the club I so cherish (thankfully not permanently), but as we move to the new stadium, for me, it's a chapter coming to a close and while he should be remembered as a cautionary tale both for the Albion and for other clubs, he is persona non grata - in my heart, he no longer exists.

I feel a new Albion is being born - one of optimism, hope and sunshine.

I'm sure that this is something some people have been feeling for quite a while now, and what I'm saying is not exactly news, but reading back that old email, to the last, Bellotti was charm and smarm itself. However, I just felt 'I can't be bothered with this bile and hatred and animosity any more'.

No matter what anyone tried to do to the club, Bill Archer, Greg Stanley, David Bellotti and a myriad of other individuals and companies - you know who you are - who tried to stop us and wear us down, we won. We fought, and wrote and donated and marched and canvassed and fought some more. AND WE BLOODY WON.

We are Brighton, the fans, the community, the club, the team - and it just makes me smile. In our hearts - we cannot be beaten. We just can't.

I have never felt so proud and pleased and satisfied watching the Albion as I have done this season. And I have never felt so proud, pleased and satisfied at all the people who have brought light, love and happiness back to this club. And I have never felt so proud, pleased and satisfied to be an Albion fan, to be taking my seat in a stadium alongside - and fit for - the most patient, loyal and considerate fans anywhere.

C'est la belle epoque.

Interesting rant TLO.

Whilst it may be time to 'move on', I'm afraid that Bellotti along with his two cronies (Archer & Stanley) deprived almost a generation of fans enjoying supporting their local club in a proper football stadium........not to mention the many who simply could not afford the cost of a 150 mile round trip to Gillingham for two years.

I hated him then....I hate him now......and I,ll hate him until the day I die.

Muhammad - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Interesting rant TLO.

Whilst it may be time to 'move on', I'm afraid that Bellotti along with his two cronies (Archer & Stanley) deprived almost a generation of fans enjoying supporting their local club in a proper football stadium........not to mention the many who simply could not afford the cost of a 150 mile round trip to Gillingham for two years.

I hated him then....I hate him now......and I,ll hate him until the day I die.
:thumbsup:

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
There has been some absolute utter tripe posted on this board since we had League One all sewn up.

It's taken this long for something decent to read.

Cheers TLO

:thumbsup:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Fixtures!

Thankyou David Bellotti

I'll not forgive him or forget him. The club I latched onto (1990 onwards...) was in terminal decline because of him. Many thousands have missed out on the delights of supporting a local football team, not suffering from a nomadic existance, for the sake of what we will never know.

I will always be riled by them. We left the Goldstone when I was sixteen and I will be a week shy of 31 when we move into Falmer. *****.

A new Albion is not being born. The same old Albion has finally had its callipers removed after being crippled all those years ago.

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
The massive majority are far mightier than the tiny few...

It's posts like these that remind everyone of the pain we have been through, the battles we have fought and the victory that is oh so close. Together we stand and never shall we fall.

:albion:

Last edited:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
So Belotti claims to have been a season ticket holder since '74..........if correct that makes his subsequent actions even more criminal.

How can someone with that length of 'allegiance' be so treacherous? I suppose whatever Archer paid him (30 pieces of silver..?) was enough to easily turn him.

He does not deserve the oxygen of publicity, except maybe for complete ridicule. Don't want him anywhere near our club.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
David .....WHO !!!!!!! ..........The past has shaped our future and we the true fans must carry (as fans always do ) us forwad.....long live the Albion !

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Alan you are a star, and it just shows what c*nts these people were. Although he was the lacky I wonder how much he earned from the sale of the land. Snivelling little c*nt.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I forgot who ran a radio show for the community but now I am reminded

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here