Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dave Edmunds & Nick Lowe.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Plenty out there on Youtube etc,yet what is it about these guys no blockbuster hit yet what ever they seem to play or write quick or slow tempo great stuff (ok alot is 70's 80's) decent quality. We could do we a few more like them and soon. :thumbsup:

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Weirdly I'm just listening to Danny Baker's show from last sat on iplayer - he's currently interviewing Nick Lowe. He produced 'Olivers Army' don't ya know!

Suggest you listen to "Rockpile - live at Montreux" from around 1980 - it is on Spotify. All their greatest tracks and a perfect antidote to anything X factor.

Nick Lowe (a man so cool that he once had Johnny Cash as a father-in-law) is still going strong and releasing critically acclaimed albums, he is touring in the Spring and I hope to catch him live.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nick Lowe also wrote What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding - one of the best pre-punk songs. One of the great unsung heroes of rock.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Weirdly I'm just listening to Danny Baker's show from last sat on iplayer - he's currently interviewing Nick Lowe. He produced 'Olivers Army' don't ya know!

And most of his early and best albums

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
By an amazing coincidence, one of FB friends has just posted this

[yt]2WmlUXsjSv8[/yt]

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Dave Edmunds genius singer, songwriter, guitarist, producer. I have all his albums on vinyl & saw Rockpile while on honeymoon in 1980. Too many favourites to mention.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
If you like Nick Lowe check out Brinsley Schwarz, the early 1970's Pub Rock Band he was in (and also wrote a fair bit of their material). There is a great version of Surrender to the Rhythm live on the Whistle Test from 1973 up on You Tube complete with classic Whispering Bob introduction.... :guitar: :thumbsup:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
If you like Nick Lowe check out Brinsley Schwarz, the early 1970's Pub Rock Band he was in (and also wrote a fair bit of their material). There is a great version of Surrender to the Rhythm live on the Whistle Test from 1973 up on You Tube complete with classic Whispering Bob introduction.... :guitar: :thumbsup:

Whats so funny about love,peace and understanding slow or up beat solid track, two of the band went on to join Graham Parker (saw them in Brighton) and a cracking band they were.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
My good mate Gareth, who I would call a semi pro musician has always said that Nick Lowe is a one off, and that 'Cruel to be kind' is the best' pop tune 'ever'

I'm actually divided between that and John Peel's fav of The Undertones 'Teenage Kicks'.

Either way, Cracking cchhoooonnssss.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Dave Edmunds - Repeat When Necessary includes Girls Talk, Sweet Little Lisa and Queen of Hearts. A classic album

Tracks on Wax 4 is also well worth a listen.

Rockpile comprised of Edmunds, Lowe, Terry Williams on Drums and Billy Bremner (not that one) on guitars

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
I remember seeing Nick Lowe in Brinsley Schwarz at Hove Town Hall in the 70's-supported as far as memory serves me by Ivor Cutler(Poet) and The Global Village Trucking Company. Anyone else remember that concert?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Dave Edmunds - Repeat When Necessary includes Girls Talk, Sweet Little Lisa and Queen of Hearts. A classic album

Tracks on Wax 4 is also well worth a listen.

Rockpile comprised of Edmunds, Lowe, Terry Williams on Drums and Billy Bremner (not that one) on guitars

I could be wrong but i saw Dire Straits in '83' or '82' and the drummer was Terry Williams,not the same one ?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Great thread. I love Nick Lowe and Dave Edmunds. Proper music.
Absolutely. Saw them (as Rockpile) twice at the Top Rank back in the late 70s (might have been early 80s). Great musicians, great songs, great gigs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here