Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I recall a case a few years back (a midfielder? Someone here will remember the name) when we engaged in protracted negotiation then when a deal was finally agreed the player failed his medical

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
I'm not accusing Sanchez of treading water at all, clearly. Nor Zeqiri. Try reading properly and having a rest.

I’m fully capable of reading properly - you said certain young players are treading water at the club so who are they exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

holybanjo

Mar 2, 2020
Hastings
There is mention of it on football.fandom.com

Núñez spent the first months of 2017 nursing a knee injury. He made his first team – and Primera División – debut on 22 November 2017, coming on as a second-half substitute for Maxi Rodríguez in a 2–1 away loss against River Plate Montevideo, but had another knee surgery the following month.

Although it doesn't elaborate on the type of surgery, it probably was a simple cleaning up of the meniscus, a very common operation for footballers and nothing to worry about.

And if it wasn't, and there was anything to be concerned about, there is no way we would risk signing him.

He was being touted as upwards of £100m for Man City this summer… until his surgery

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Good old agents and their BS.

The only good thing about Darwin’s agent in this case is that he’ll be doing all he can to get the young man to leave Benfica; it’ll probably land him a £2m+ windfall you see. He’ll be going all out for the transfer.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
The most interesting tweet in that thread states that we created 18 assists down the right flank and 4 down the left, despite us attacking an equal amount down each flank.

View attachment 139187

So all we need to do is improve the left flank to the same level of the right, and all our problems are solved.

[TWEET]1418271528895098882[/TWEET]

The importance of Solly March revealed?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
He was being touted as upwards of £100m for Man City this summer… until his surgery

That was the head coach last October after he had just scored a hatrick, well before the surgery.

Far too much has been made of it.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
And who has a terrible injury record. Which is another reason why we need strength in depth in that department!

But does Nunez who's had both knees operated on in the last 3 years tick those boxes. Don't want another player who's knees are shot. Can't afford another Izzy.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Where did you find the info on the 1st surgery? I can only find info on the recent one. Arthroscopy to fix a long term issue that had been giving him some discomfort, quite a minor opp relative to other sorts. He should be back in training soon according to this:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/arthroscopy/recovery/

"Núñez spent the first months of 2017 nursing a knee injury. He made his first team – and Primera División – debut on 22 November 2017, coming on as a second-half substitute for Maxi Rodríguez in a 2–1 away loss against River Plate Montevideo but had another knee surgery the following month.

Benfica's local press indicate he should be fit by October/November, however accurate that is.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
"Núñez spent the first months of 2017 nursing a knee injury. He made his first team – and Primera División – debut on 22 November 2017, coming on as a second-half substitute for Maxi Rodríguez in a 2–1 away loss against River Plate Montevideo but had another knee surgery the following month.

Benfica's local press indicate he should be fit by October/November, however accurate that is.

If that’s the case, that’s a massive red flag, and time to focus on another target, time to walk away for now.
He will need to see if he can come back.

mike1901

May 12, 2017

Just get the feeling he’s last chance saloon, the club put everything in to getting Gonzalez and lost out, I don’t think we are the attraction we’d like to think we are, we keep hearing about aspirations of a top ten finish but we need to spend money on another forward, unfortunately so are every body else and with us wages are a limiting factor, so who ever we get, if we do, we’ll have to take a chance, why we are not going for Edouard I don’t know, but we must have our reasons, what about Armstrong at Blackburn, we need some one it’s getting desperate, we’ll beck can’t play a full season unfortunately.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Just get the feeling he’s last chance saloon, the club put everything in to getting Gonzalez and lost out, I don’t think we are the attraction we’d like to think we are, we keep hearing about aspirations of a top ten finish but we need to spend money on another forward, unfortunately so are every body else and with us wages are a limiting factor, so who ever we get, if we do, we’ll have to take a chance, why we are not going for Edouard I don’t know, but we must have our reasons, what about Armstrong at Blackburn, we need some one it’s getting desperate, we’ll beck can’t play a full season unfortunately.

I dont think the club is as desperate as some fans are.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

We are not desperate, you sound a tad desperate it has to be said. Getting centre forwards in is bloody hard work. Well good ones anyway. Keep the faith.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Tell that to Southampton before they signed Danny Ings.

To be fair, although he has his fair share of injuries, he'd been fit for about a year by the point Southampton signed him. He'd just been kept out by Liverpool's exceptional forward line.

He wasn't actually injured when he signed for them.

That said, I get your point and agree with it. I'd also add that, for those calling this desperate, Nunez has been on our "watch list" for nearly 3 years

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Neto, I think.

Is correct! Thank you.I think my memory is becoming an issue :lol:

He’s barely played since and last seem on the Belgian second division.
Shows how fragile a footballer’s career can be.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here