Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
But that's the gamble.

Would you buy a really nice sports car that you've always wanted knowing it had been in a couple of serious crashes? Same thing applies here.

It could work out, but as sure as eggs is eggs, if we do sign him and he breaks down with further knee trouble the criticism the club will get from many on here for not doing 'due diligence' will be deafening.

Huge gamble in my eyes, but it's not my decision.

Possibly, if you really want a sports car but can't afford the same model in mint condition.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But that's the gamble.

Would you buy a really nice sports car that you've always wanted knowing it had been in a couple of serious crashes? Same thing applies here.

It could work out, but as sure as eggs is eggs, if we do sign him and he breaks down with further knee trouble the criticism the club will get from many on here for not doing 'due diligence' will be deafening.

Huge gamble in my eyes, but it's not my decision.

If I bought a sports car that had been in two repaired accidents I'd expect ( and almost certainly get) at least a third off the normal price. We are allegedly being asked to pay 5 million more than he went for a year ago for a potentially crocked player. I don't see this transfer happening at anywhere near the price Benfica are wanting. The medical will be very very thorough too. I have complete trust in the club not to panic buy a forward, we stopped doing that a few years ago now.

We already have Welbeck. Lallana and Lamptey who probably will not play the majority of games, not sure we need another one clogging up the treatment room myself

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
If I bought a sports car that had been in two repaired accidents I'd expect ( and almost certainly get) at least a third off the normal price. We are allegedly being asked to pay 5 million more than he went for a year ago for a potentially crocked player. I don't see this transfer happening at anywhere near the price Benfica are wanting. The medical will be very very thorough too. I have complete trust in the club not to panic buy a forward, we stopped doing that a few years ago now.

We already have Welbeck. Lallana and Lamptey who probably will not play the majority of games, not sure we need another one clogging up the treatment room myself

What about Solly ? Had two knee ops (both FAR more serious ones than Nunez) and you don’t seem to think he is someone who is an issue. Or Webster who has had two ankle ops

I’d understand if this guy had two ACL’s or something in his early 20s but both operations seem to have been low level keyhole type procedures.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What about Solly ? Had two knee ops (both FAR more serious ones than Nunez) and you don’t seem to think he is someone who is an issue. Or Webster who has had two ankle ops

I’d understand if this guy had two ACL’s or something in his early 20s but both operations seem to have been low level keyhole type procedures.

Solly did take a long time to get up to speed after his first big injury, fingers crossed he'll get up to speed much quicker this time. Webster has stayed mostly fit for two seasons hasn't he? Anyway I'm sure the medical team will be extremely thorough so if we do sign him I guess it means the club don't see these to ops as a worry :shrug:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

But the difference is we weren't being asked to pay somewhere in excess of £20m for Solly. He was already on the books.

Don't get me wrong - a fit Nunez could be a real asset but I'd be lying if I said having had both knees operated on, and the timescale of him being able to return being quoted as October to November, I'm not worried. I am.

I think it would be a huge gamble.

Then again some you win some you lose, and Tony is a gambling man so who knows?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Exactly. This is nuts. Players get injuries guys.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Agree with you here. Think it’s easy for us as fans to simplify things and just make sweeping statements, without knowing the ins and outs. I personally choose to trust in the club doctors and people who know all about sport science etc..

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Agree with you here. Think it’s easy for us as fans to simplify things and just make sweeping statements, without knowing the ins and outs. I personally choose to trust in the club doctors and people who know all about sport science etc..

Yep, the injury stuff doesn’t concern me at all. I have no doubt the clubs medical team (who are far more qualified than anyone here) will do good and thorough due diligence.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Yep, the injury stuff doesn’t concern me at all. I have no doubt the clubs medical team (who are far more qualified than anyone here) will do good and thorough due diligence.

Didn’t we stop a couple of transfers a few years ago because of fitness concerns?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But the difference is we weren't being asked to pay somewhere in excess of £20m for Solly. He was already on the books.

Don't get me wrong - a fit Nunez could be a real asset but I'd be lying if I said having had both knees operated on, and the timescale of him being able to return being quoted as October to November, I'm not worried. I am.

I think it would be a huge gamble.

Then again some you win some you lose, and Tony is a gambling man so who knows?

Wait - until January, or next summer, then offer less. Worked brilliantly for United and Sancho! If somebody esle wants to pay over the odds - let 'em; it's their money.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Wait - until January, or next summer, then offer less. Worked brilliantly for United and Sancho! If somebody esle wants to pay over the odds - let 'em; it's their money.

This totally

I am not in in the new striker-or-we-are-doomed camp.we can stay up quite easily with the present squad

If he is the right player,which i think he is,we can wait

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This totally

I am not in in the new striker-or-we-are-doomed camp.we can stay up quite easily with the present squad

"The new striker-or-we-are-doomed camp" - gawd almighty, they don't half keep clogging up t'internet, don't they!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

I agree with the plan to wait.

Though offering less, I don't see how that would work. I think his price is vaguely affordable, because he's injured and just had an indifferent season.

If he gets himself fit, plays and scores, the big boys then come in and price us out.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This totally

Well I think there’s a middle ground! I don’t think we’re doomed or going down either way.

But there’s undoubtedly for me a lack of real competition up front for Maupay, and Welbeck sadly won’t play consistently.

We have lacked a cutting edge last season, surely most agree on that. That’s not all down to the strikers of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here