Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
This - I think we need to move on to other targets anyway. But knowing the club, they probably are but as is their way they will keep their cards close to their chest. Very much like the Veltman signing. None of us knew about that until it was formally announced.

Why do you want to move on?

If he is as highly rated as it appears, he will be worth the extra effort. He has made no credible statements that he prefers Benfica, it’s all just fake news on twitter. Benfica fans are acting a bit like Leeds fans, he’s signed, he’s in Lisbon, his agent says he wants Benfica, etc. If our club thinks we can still get him,( no guarantee that they do, btw) then, personally, I don’t mind playing the long game, and us supporters being kept in the dark.

Just don’t believe anything until he’s holding up the shirt of whoever signs him.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

If he is as highly rated as it appears, he will be worth the extra effort. He has made no credible statements that he prefers Benfica, it’s all just fake news on twitter. Benfica fans are acting a bit like Leeds fans, he’s signed, he’s in Lisbon, his agent says he wants Benfica, etc. If our club thinks we can still get him,( no guarantee that they do, btw) then, personally, I don’t mind playing the long game, and us supporters being kept in the dark.

Just don’t believe anything until he’s holding up the shirt of whoever signs him.

Agreed, apart from one bit. We don't know it's all fake news on Twitter about him preferring Benfica. It might be fake news and it might not. The fact that he is reported to have turned up for training with Almeria (good spot BTW) after it was reported that his singing for Benfica was 'hours' away over the weekend, is a welcome turn of events, if unexpected. If true, then as you say, this isn't over. Alternatively, it could be just brinkmanship by Almeria to squeeze a little more from us, and/or Benfica.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex

Agree. Some fans just need closure. The club leadership will be well versed in living with ambiguity.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Agreed, apart from one bit. We don't know it's all fake news on Twitter about him preferring Benfica. It might be fake news and it might not. The fact that he is reported to have turned up for training with Almeria (good spot BTW) after it was reported that his singing for Benfica was 'hours' away over the weekend, is a welcome turn of events, if unexpected. If true, then as you say, this isn't over. Alternatively, it could be just brinkmanship by Almeria to squeeze a little more from us, and/or Benfica.

As I said in an earlier post, most if not all of the twitter posts about Nunez to Benfica have under 2,000 followers, and most of those are under 200 .
I do take the majority of twitter transfer ‘news’ with a pinch of salt, unless it comes from a source with a healthy amount of followers.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Wise words.

The ‘Record’ in Portugal is winding Benfica fans up like Phil Hay of the athletic. Darwin is heading to Almeria’s training camp today, not Lisbon.

As I’ve said before, Benfica are going toe to toes with the Lizard. Nothing is over until it’s over, he’ll still have some cards under the table at this late stage.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
As I said in an earlier post, most if not all of the twitter posts about Nunez to Benfica have under 2,000 followers, and most of those are under 200 .
I do take the majority of twitter transfer ‘news’ with a pinch of salt, unless it comes from a source with a healthy amount of followers.

Yes, you're right. I remember you saying that. I meant to add that I use the news aggregator Newsnow for all my media news on Brighton. I'm struck by the almost total absence of articles on Nunez. All of our knowledge on Nunez's transfer is coming out of Almeria and Benfica. Maybe this is a result of Brighton's wisdom in conducting their important business behind closed doors. It does make it a bit painful for us though.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We are out of the game at 5pm on October 5th. Benfica can still sign players on October 6th.

It would be better if it was the other way round.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Why do we have to use the American words "fake news" can't we just use the tried and tested English word, "bollocks"

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Why do we have to use the American words "fake news" can't we just use the tried and tested English word, "bollocks"

That's a fair point. Compare this:

Agreed, apart from one bit. We don't know it's all fake news on Twitter about him preferring Benfica. It might be fake news and it might not.

With this:

Agreed, apart from one bit. We don't know it's all bollocks on Twitter about him preferring Benfica. It might be bollocks and it might not.

I'm happy to use bollocks or fake news (or even fake bollocks). I have no sense of ownership here.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Get Bruno down to Marbella now, complete with hookers and a bag of coke.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Depends how true this article is, but if it is a quote from Nunez agent think it is all over.

https://www.ojogo.pt/futebol/1a-lig...cordo-quase-fechado-com-benfica-12572430.html

Darwin Núñez agent admits almost closed deal with Benfica
Pedro Miguel Azevedo | Rafael Toucedo | Vítor Rodrigues
01 September 2020 at 10:16

The last details of the deal, which reached the 25 million required by Almería, must be closed today and the Uruguayan striker must sign a contract valid for five years.

All data suggest that the signing of Darwin Núñez by Benfica is a reality to be made official in the short term.

RELATED

BENFICA
PAOK-Benfica already has a date and time
There is already a platform of understanding for a business that will be around 25 million euros, an amount that O GOGO had already pointed out as necessary to be reached by Luís Filipe Vieira for the transfer to be completed.

We still need to finalize some details of the negotiation, namely forms of payment and commissions inherent to the process, but the conviction of all parties points that the 21-year-old striker, who will sign for five seasons, joins Jorge Jesus' squad.

In the last hours, the reds went up and showed availability to reach 25 million euros, with the negotiations to be intensified in Almería, with the presence of the intermediary Bruno Macedo, mandated by Benfica, and the player's manager, Edgardo Lasalvia, which then gave a new impetus to this dossier, which may even be completely closed in the next few hours and allow the Uruguayan international to travel to Lisbon.

Without fully opening the game, the forward agent who scored 16 goals in 32 games for the Spanish II division last season showed confidence in the positive outcome. "What I can say is that the negotiations are well underway but I cannot say yet that they are closed. I think that tomorrow [today] we will be able to solve everything," Lasalvia told O JOGO, confirming that she is in Almería "working on the situation".

"We believe that it will arrive at a good port. First the clubs had to agree, now it is our part with the player. I don't think it will be there [that the deal will fall] or that there will be problems. But this is football. and, until signed, it is not closed ", he says, revealing that" the player is calm, he is well at Almería but going to a club like Benfica is a leap in quality ".

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Wise words.

The ‘Record’ in Portugal is winding Benfica fans up like Phil Hay of the athletic. Darwin is heading to Almeria’s training camp today, not Lisbon.

As I’ve said before, Benfica are going toe to toes with the Lizard. Nothing is over until it’s over, he’ll still have some cards under the table at this late stage.

Sounds like some sort of Norfolk barn dance move

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Personally, I would have thought the timing of the payment would be paramount here. I expect Almeria will lose a shed load of cash playing in the second tier during Covid 19, and you'd think they'd want every penny for their prize asset right now.

Maybe Benfica are matching our payment terms as well as the fee itself?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
I think right now we're into GAZUMPING territory if we want to complete this transfer. Expect to see the phrases 'HIJACK' and 'LAST-DITCH' bandied about should we decide to make a move

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Benfica still have most of the Joao Felix money so they should be able to afford to match us.

Also, apparently the president is up for re-election soon and needs to get some good signings in after losing the league last season.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I’ve written this one off, thinkthe agent and player were always angling towards Benfica and we were used to boost the price. Hopefully, we have lodged our offer and are busy looking at alternatives and if it suddenly materializes then everybody is happy other than Benfica.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Looks like Almeria have reversed their decision and said they no longer want any players in the deal. Does that bring us back into play?

Benfica do not give up on Almeria striker Darwin Nuñez. The deal will be practically closed, but with a novelty in the negotiation process: Almeria is no longer interested in receiving the pass from Benfica players.

The reds hoped to be able to lower the transfer fee by including some surplus players in the deal, but the Spaniards are uncompromising and demand € 24 million for Darwin Nuñez.

https://twitter.com/tvi24ultimas/status/1300854817301106689?s=21

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here