Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Champions league football is probably more appealing than trying to help us become a mid table side tbh. Watched all or nothing this evening José M summed up the PL, the rest of the world enjoy watching yet see the big European clubs as where the super star players play.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Champions league football is probably more appealing than trying to help us become a mid table side tbh. Watched all or nothing this evening José M summed up the PL, the rest of the world enjoy watching yet see the big European clubs as where the super star players play.

Benfica are a big club with an average home attendance of over 50k and yes European football is a draw. But playing in Portugal is like playing at non league grounds for all but the top few teams.

12 out of the 18 teams in the top division have an average home attendance of less than 6k, in fact 8 teams are lower than 3.5k.

Didn't Joel Veltman say that the occasional Champions League match is great but the Premier League is like that every week?

Don't underestimate the pull of the Premier League.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Benfica are a big club with an average home attendance of over 50k and yes European football is a draw. But playing in Portugal is like playing at non league grounds for all but the top few teams.

12 out of the 18 teams in the top division have an average home attendance of less than 6k, in fact 8 teams are lower than 3.5k.

Didn't Joel Veltman say that the occasional Champions League match is great but the Premier League is like that every week?

Sounds like Celtic with Sunshine

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

There's more factors though, like weather and language.

Sounds like Celtic with Sunshine

Quality in general is a lot higher though... but indeed the attendances are poor

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon

...and yet here we are

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
...and yet here we are

Which is where?

Still waiting for Almeria to accept an offer from anyone and doing a good job of creating an auction for a player they value at €30m.

Don't believe the nonsense on Twitter. Yesterday it was us in the driving seat.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Language? The Portuguese speak Portuguese. Uruguayans speak Spanish

The difference between Portuguese and Spanish is far less than between Spanish and English - it’s very easy for a Spanish speaker to understand Portuguese and vice versa.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The difference between Portuguese and Spanish is far less than between Spanish and English - it’s very easy for a Spanish speaker to understand Portuguese and vice versa.

Funny you should say that, I speak reasonable Spanish but have really struggled with the language in Brazil and Portugal. Could be because Spanish is not my first language. I find Italian easier to understand than Portuguese but don’t speak it at all. Must confess I thought it would be easy to understand Portuguese knowing a bit of Spanish. Not so for me :shrug:

Anyway hopefully this saga will be put to bed one way or the other today.

Stumpy Tim

Not actually the case though. Spanish, Italian and French are the most similar from what I understand. It's more likely he'll know English than Portuguese

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Which is where?

Still waiting for Almeria to accept an offer from anyone and doing a good job of creating an auction for a player they value at €30m.

Don't believe the nonsense on Twitter. Yesterday it was us in the driving seat.

As I understand it (which isn’t much) Almeria want money, not a deposit and players. Benfica are not offering hard cash, so we still have a chance, despite player preferences.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Disappointing. I’d actually prefer us to go large and offer £30M for Eduoard than now go for #4 or #5 on the list and end up paying £18M for another Locadia. But then it’s not my money.

I’d prefer to be in a bidding war with Benfica to be honest. The likes of Edouard & Watkins are going to attract huge bidding wars with the likes of Villa, Leeds, West Ham and Everton (obligatory) all pilling in, I think we can out bid the Portuguese where as going toe to toe with another EPL team will waste us millions.

Let’s face it, finding the level of quality Striker we require who won’t attract other interest from other teams is probably more or less impossible.

Your point about Locadia is valid though. If we can’t get one of our top targets, I’d prefer to see Gyökeres given a go rather than a budget Eredivise special.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Not actually the case though. Spanish, Italian and French are the most similar from what I understand. It's more likely he'll know English than Portuguese

I shall take that up with my ex. She’s English, works as a translator (Spanish/English & English/Spanish) and, having never studied Portuguese, can understand 90% of it.

What do I know...? I’m shit at languages! :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I shall take that up with my ex. She’s English, works as a translator (Spanish/English & English/Spanish) and, having never studied Portuguese, can understand 90% of it.

She would. Written, they look very similar......pronunciation is quite different though. In South America (Brazil in particular) they even speak a hybrid - Portuñol.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

Wrong.

Portuguese can understand more easily Spanish than Spanish can understand Portuguese.

Same with Italian and Romanian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

My missus is Portuguese and agrees with [MENTION=14054]MJsGhost[/MENTION]!

The structure is the same and a lot of the words are very similar, you just have to get your head round the totally different pronunciation.

She struggles to understand Brazilians.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
My missus is Portuguese and agrees with [MENTION=14054]MJsGhost[/MENTION]!

The structure is the same and a lot of the words are very similar, you just have to get your head round the totally different pronunciation.

She struggles to understand Brazilians.

I totally get the them, sign of the times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here