Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Apparently Nunez has decided to join us a decision was made over the last few days, just the fee to be thrashed out between the clubs.

You need to give a source / idea of this though…

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Seeing as tb has stated he wants to have us top 10 you don’t get that position without spending 30 mil plus on players

To be pedantic...

Leeds: 20/21 - 9th - Rodrigo £27m
Sheff Utd 19/20 - 9th - Sander Berge £21m
Burnley 19/20 - 10th - Ben Gibson £15m

And whilst I agree that league position generally correlates to money spent, it tends to be wages rather than transfer fees that make the biggest difference (not that the same clubs don't generally have the highest of both.)

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I’ve just looked this geezer up. He’s only scored 14 goals for Benfica in 44 appearances. Why are some salivating over him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say scoring 1 in 3 games, plus his decent assist rate (something like 10 Primeira Liga assists last season) in your first season at a new club in a more difficult league is okay. Shows enough promise that there's a good player there.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’ve just looked this geezer up. He’s only scored 14 goals for Benfica in 44 appearances. Why are some salivating over him?

I made this mistake earlier in the thread. He made an assist or scored a goal for every 110mins or so last season. Not fantastic, I’ll give you that. But when you see ‘how’ he plays, you see a player with a high ceiling for development. Height, strength, pace, dribbling, two footed, stunning assist making, heading prowess. It’s all there. Stories about Man City monitoring him are believable.

I’m in no way comparing him with Kane as I don’t think he’ll ever reach that level but Kane played 35 games as a youngster in the Championship with an average of a goal or assist every 194mins compared with every 99mins in his EPL career and 83mins last season. He clearly had an astonishingly high ceiling. I think by the time Darwin is Maupay’s age, Big Six sides will be looking to grab him.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I made this mistake earlier in the thread. He made an assist or scored a goal for every 110mins or so last season. Not fantastic, I’ll give you that. But when you see ‘how’ he plays, you see a player with a high ceiling for development. Height, strength, pace, dribbling, two footed, stunning assist making, heading prowess. It’s all there. Stories about Man City monitoring him are believable.

I’m in no way comparing him with Kane as I don’t think he’ll ever reach that level but Kane played 35 games as a youngster in the Championship with an average of a goal or assist every 194mins compared with every 99mins in his EPL career and 83mins last season. He clearly had an astonishingly high ceiling. I think by the time he is Maupay’s age, Big Six sides will be looking to grab him.

He looks very decent to me. Always a risk, always a chance he’d flop, but we’ve tracked him for ages and not given up - so if he comes you have to put faith in the recruitment dept on this one. I personally think he’ll be decent for us and we really need another striker and LWB.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The club are salivating over him this is the second window they have been trying to get this guy signed up.

Rather like the club did with Jahanbakhsh. Bid for him, didn't want to come - kept on going until he gave in and came, and what followed was ............

............. oh.

I'd say scoring 1 in 3 games, plus his decent assist rate (something like 10 Primeira Liga assists last season) in your first season at a new club in a more difficult league is okay. Shows enough promise that there's a good player there.
Sort of, roughly, give or take a bit, more or less - lke Jahanbakhsh before we bought him then? Don't get me wrong - he may be decent, I don't know. But what I do know is that if he's only coming here because we're the only ones in for him, and he's really not that keen, I'm not interested. I'm sure it's a decent life being third or fourth choice at Benfica.

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Because we have to sign someone and spend the money we made on White otherwise we are not a big club.

Personally not sure we should sign a player who doesn't want to play for us , not sure how he will fit in with the rest of the players who are keen to do something.

do you know this? presumably, he'll want to play for whichever club furthers his personal career the quickest

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Don't be ridiculous! - some people just know, don't you know? Who are we to question them?

I know I don’t trust anything I read on here or Twitter without a concrete source. In fact this window has been the worst for so called national ‘journalists’ providing utter nonsense stories - often via agents…

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Rather like the club did with Jahanbakhsh. Bid for him, didn't want to come - kept on going until he gave in and came, and what followed was ............

............. oh.

Sort of, roughly, give or take a bit, more or less - lke Jahanbakhsh before we bought him then? Don't get me wrong - he may be decent, I don't know. But what I do know is that if he's only coming here because we're the only ones in for him, and he's really not that keen, I'm not interested. I'm sure it's a decent life being third or fourth choice at Benfica.

You never know until they are here on the pitch but the club have got more signings right than wrong since the Locadia and Ali J double disaster so will put faith in them if they believe this guy will improve us.

As for the not being interested bit a player is always going to choose Benfica over us if offered the chance especially with CL football on offer. They are a huge club and he will have thought he could break through there but not worked out for him, it happens. The club would not be hanging around trying to get a deal done if the player has not indicated he would be interested in a move as ultimately he has the final say

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I know I don’t trust anything I read on here or Twitter without a concrete source. In fact this window has been the worst for so called national ‘journalists’ providing utter nonsense stories - often via agents…

Trust in me ….. #ITK

304d99ef14cab6a9a41f485b70792234.gif

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
do you know this? presumably, he'll want to play for whichever club furthers his personal career the quickest

Not for a fact but if he wanted to play for us he would be here - either signed last year or let it be known via his agent he wants a move to us now. He is looking for his best option and we do not appear to be it. Clearly Benfica think they can make a nice profit and are holding out for the best money but have you seen any indication he wants to play for us?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You never know until they are here on the pitch but the club have got more signings right than wrong since the Locadia and Ali J double disaster so will put faith in them if they believe this guy will improve us.

As for the not being interested bit a player is always going to choose Benfica over us if offered the chance especially with CL football on offer. They are a huge club and he will have thought he could break through there but not worked out for him, it happens. The club would not be hanging around trying to get a deal done if the player has not indicated he would be interested in a move as ultimately he has the final say

Yes, quite. He chose Benfica. If his options now are to be third or fourth choice at Benfica, or 'sh*t, I'll have to go to fvcking Brighton after all', you might see where my lukewarm feelings about signing him are coming from!

Yes, I know I haven't met him and discussed it with him - neither have you, or in all likelihood anybody else on NSC. We all have our gut feelings on incomings and outgoings that we would like to happen. My gut feeling is - I trust the club, who know far more that's relevant than I do, and if the club want him and buy him I'll welcome him and want him to do well. But that would require a change of mind (which I can do) on my part!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not for a fact but if he wanted to play for us he would be here - either signed last year or let it be known via his agent he wants a move to us now. He is looking for his best option and we do not appear to be it. Clearly Benfica think they can make a nice profit and are holding out for the best money but have you seen any indication he wants to play for us?
How is he meant to give an indication he wants to play for us exactly? It would be disrespectful towards Benfica to go public. We have no idea of the conversations that have taken place and rightly so. Most players give the usual generic spiel once they have signed.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How is he meant to give an indication he wants to play for us exactly? It would be disrespectful towards Benfica to go public. We have no idea of the conversations that have taken place and rightly so. Most players give the usual generic spiel once they have signed.

Something's dragging this one on ....... and on. If it were just the transfer fee we would have paid it or walked away by now. If he (or his agent) is holding out for 'better', they can do one.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
So Albion need to write and record a beautiful song about Nunez so they take him away from Benfica and shag him? And who the hell is Eric Swayne?

I don’t know. I’ve confused myself on this…..and the Darwin chase in general actually!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here