Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’m not really into buying a single entity for £30 million, it’s a huge risk for a club of our size and stature… how much better is he than Welbeck? Maupay, even Zeqiri … ? I’m just not convinced we should break our new model and go all out for one player … is it me ? Or does that seem out of keeping with our actual development strategy ? Unless we’re utterly convinced he’s the next £100 million player, I’d rather we retained liquidity and forged ahead with developing talent.
Buying four mediocre players was fine in the earlier seasons when we dipped our toe into the PL, if you want to be progressive you have to go to the next calibre of player. Leicester buy sell and progress and it generally shows, they are similar to us in terms of dominating games and playing good football the difference being they have signed the quality to win matches regularly at this level.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I personally think Darwin Nunez has huge potential for a player that is only 22 and the club obviously see that which is why they are going back in for him.

Unfortunately I don't think we will get him, but if we did it would be a massive coup for the club and as fans we should enjoy the fact that we are even in the race for these types of players.

Two top posts. Hope you're wrong. We'll see.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Buying four mediocre players was fine in the earlier seasons when we dipped our toe into the PL, if you want to be progressive you have to go to the next calibre of player. Leicester buy sell and progress and it generally shows, they are similar to us in terms of dominating games and playing good football the difference being they have signed the quality to win matches regularly at this level.

Yeah I’m with this dude.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Nobody really has a scoobie about this one, the only thing we have to work on are garbled reports from Portuguese’sauces’ that might be ITK, but a far more likely not to be.
If Darwin doesn’t fancy us, why would a very competent recruitment department be wasting tha majority of a very important window chasing him? We must have been offered some kind of encouragement by the player/ agent to still be involved (if indeed, we are).
I think, if we are still involved, we’ll get him, and I base this on the fact that there is absolutely no credible interest from any other club, so, he’s either coming to us, and any other interested parties know it,or he’s going nowhere, and we have already moved on.

I was really trying to get a reference to “Origin of the Species “ in this post, but it was beyond even my best “Dad punning “ expertise.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You are on to something but I don’t think our development strategy is yielding many top level strikers or left wing backs. We needed to spend £40m+ on Webster and Maupay in 2019 and we need to plug two gaps with top quality once again.

Looking at the game last night, I also suspect these big transfers will get quite rare as the years go on and our academy matures but Tony is clearly prepared to spend a big chunk (if not all) of the Ben White fee on a striker and left wing back.

The frustrations of screwing up our finishing in almost every match last season still hurt. The words ‘if Brighton could finish’ or ‘if Brighton had a decent striker’ have probably been said thousands and thousands of times across the globe by pundits and fans alike, it was almost our hashtag last year. I for one was absolutely sick of watching us play well, only for someone like Connolly to miss an open goal or something. Like other fans, Tony would have had enough too. He is clearly looking at fixing this issue.

If you are still worried about the Nunez fee (and it’s a long shot to get him imho), check out his showreels. He has a huge ceiling, his decision making is something very very special.

In addition, I can see Bissouma leaving next year at some point for £60m+ as I think it’s impossible for us to keep a player of his level; we’re little Brighton, how have we got the best defensive midfielder in the division? The money will keep pouring in and we’ve saved millions on salaries so far this window with a good clear out having taken place.

Sorry, but you make it sound like we missed three open goals a game.

An awful lot of our xG underachievement was down to decision making and slow build up play. Trying to shoot through packed defences or Biss having a crack from 35 yards with better choices on.

Look at our four league goals this season and you'll see where Potter has started to address this. Two almost identical chances at Burnley born of setting a wide player free very quickly. Two goals on Saturday, one direct from a set piece and one where we won the ball on the high press. You'll always stand a better chance of scoring within 10 seconds of a turnover because the defence are out of position. Winning it even higher increases the chances. See Klopp, Jurgen.

We played some lovely stuff last season but nudged our xG up in low decimals. Lots of games where we had over 20 shots but fewer than half on target.

(Not that I disagree with the main thrust - we do need a proper left full back / wing back and a forward player who can finish under pressure would be lovely)

Last edited:

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
Nobody really has a scoobie about this one, the only thing we have to work on are garbled reports from Portuguese’sauces’ that might be ITK, but a far more likely not to be.
If Darwin doesn’t fancy us, why would a very competent recruitment department be wasting tha majority of a very important window chasing him? We must have been offered some kind of encouragement by the player/ agent to still be involved (if indeed, we are).
I think, if we are still involved, we’ll get him, and I base this on the fact that there is absolutely no credible interest from any other club, so, he’s either coming to us, and any other interested parties know it,or he’s going nowhere, and we have already moved on.

I was really trying to get a reference to “Origin of the Species “ in this post, but it was beyond even my best “Dad punning “ expertise.

He would be a natural selection for our squad. Part of the club’s evolution.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

The best calibre of player Leicester ever bought was a £1M punt on a player from the Conference. That's the sort of four-leafed clover deal that crops up less than once a decade. We can't expect that, but fortunately we have a manager who can operate with attacking options that aren't necessarily a once in a decade cut price goal machine from the footbaling back of beyond!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I’ve just looked this geezer up. He’s only scored 14 goals for Benfica in 44 appearances. Why are some salivating over him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I’ve just looked this geezer up. He’s only scored 14 goals for Benfica in 44 appearances. Why are some salivating over him?

Because we have to sign someone and spend the money we made on White otherwise we are not a big club.

Personally not sure we should sign a player who doesn't want to play for us , not sure how he will fit in with the rest of the players who are keen to do something.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

The club are salivating over him this is the second window they have been trying to get this guy signed up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here