Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's always the 5 years (on hefty wages) that worries me. If he flops then that's a long time to be lumbered. Those are the risks I guess. Why are the contracts offered so long nowadays though?

Balance of risk. Stops your £30M player leaving on a free / for very little in 2-3 years time.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
It's always the 5 years (on hefty wages) that worries me. If he flops then that's a long time to be lumbered. Those are the risks I guess. Why are the contracts offered so long nowadays though?

To justify the fee typically, you are paying for 5 years of access to that asset.

It doesn’t make sense to pay £30m for them to be able to walk away after 2 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Fingers crossed. Of all the strikers we have been linked with he is the best fit in my opinion, just the sort we need to compliment what we have

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

I know it's been answered, but the way i'd look at it, if you had the chance to go back in time to when we signed Bissouma and you had the opportunity to give him one less year would you?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
To justify the fee typically, you are paying for 5 years of access to that asset.

It doesn’t make sense to pay £30m for them to be able to walk away after 2 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's always the use of options to extend. We read about 1 year but no reason why it couldn't be 2 years ... just down to negotiation.

Or even 1 year and the club would know after year 1 if they bought a pup or a star and they can renegotiate then

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Nunez just accepted my follow request on Instagram. Just saying.

The strongest indication yet?

Hate to tell you this, but he accepted mine last year, just before he signed for Benfica, i then unfollowed him :flounce:
I haven't tried to follow him this year for fear of tempting fate :thumbsup:

Following people on social media always makes me think of the life of Brian, he is the messiah, i should know, iv'e followed a few :lol:

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

As a DULLARD might tell you, it's at least partially about amortisation.

The accepted accounting position for 91 English league clubs is that a player could leave on a free at the end of their contract, so their upfront cost is booked as a 'loss' in the accounts, spread across their contract length - this can be important for meeting Financial Fair Play loss restrictions, so a longer contract means a smaller 'loss' per year. This is of course balanced out in the accounts by any fee actually received when they leave.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Attachments

• 4_Clive-Dunn-ed.jpg
    4_Clive-Dunn-ed.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 538

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here