Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Darren Currie: Worse than David Lee?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Only if you can assure me that your fake victimhood and haemophiliac levels of skin thickness are up for the challenge :)

You'd really prefer to trade stuff like this than discuss the fairly level-headed points I made about Reid, Chippy and Currie's fitness then? Oh well.

OK on the question of fitness. McGammon has not been injured, so has not missed pre-season. He has been rotting in the reserves, but his fitness levels should have been such that the games over the Christmas period should have meant that he if nothing else would be near match fitness. The fact that he is so unfit is a disgrace for somebody claiming to be a professional sportsman.

By the way Currie played in 3 pre-season games and certainly not the the full 90 minutes in all 3.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
London Irish said:
Only if you can assure me that your fake victimhood and haemophiliac levels of skin thickness are up for the challenge :)

:laugh: Sorry, I'll go. :down:

UB, isn't there various levels of fitness, general fitness is said to be very different from match fitness. I don't claim vast knowledge on these quite technical matters, and I'd be suspicious of anyone on NSC who does, which is why I try and listen very carefully to experts like McGhee. Butters has claimed McGhee turned his career around because he got him truly fit for the first time.

I think humbug like Big Mac is unprofessional for being not at full match fitness should be avoided, wasn't the same said about Currie when he was touring clubs on trial in the summer. The fact is most footballers are not perfect models of discipline, they are young, often immature and need firm management and guidance.

Big Mac may or may not completed a full pre-season training at Millwall, but McGhee says he lost it given the very limited amount of football he had at Millwall.

I think we all need to keep an open mind about whether Big Mac's game will improve under McGhee's very firm management and emphasis on rigorous fitness training - his track record is very good.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Uncle Buck said:
The fact that he is so unfit is a disgrace for somebody claiming to be a professional sportsman.

Wasn't the same kind of thing slung at Butters a while back? Now one of our best players with the benefit of some hard work and support.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Uncle Buck said:
To be fair the condition that he was in back in 2002 was not what you would expect from a professional sportsman. However credit for turning it around.

Tank wasnt in top condition in 2002 because he had been injured the previous season and had been on the bench after that, and reserve games were few and far inbetween. When you have an injury you cannot train, so therefore you lose match fitness. Match fitness is completely different to being just fit to train etc. MH knew that Tank wasnt 100% when he brought him to the club. He needed the chance to get match fit, but that didnt happen. MM soon changed that.

Being a professional sportsman does not mean that you are in top condition 100% all of the time, especially if you are not playing every week. I dont think some of you lot realise what goes on behind the scenes at all. Some players are natural athletes, most have to work damn hard to get a first team place, and a few games out or on the bench makes all the difference.

trueblue said:
If I was Mark McGhee reading this tripe, I would feel like jumping on the first train out of Brighton.

How on earth can anyone slag off Currie after two games? He was certainly not the worst of our players against Plymouth, so why does he get all the flak? :angry:

At least somebody here was a voice of reason.
How do players ever gain confidence playing for us? There's not much generousity to be found in the crowd.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
HAHA:D:D:D

I would hold my hands up and say I got this wrong.

But anyone that knows me know that I think David Lee is a legend, so Darren Currie being worse than him is no bad thing!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
What a wonderful thread.
Interesting thing is that Currie was always a good player at Barnet. But last season he looked very ordinary playing for Wycombe against us. Does this prove that Adams was totally s*ite as a manager?
London Irish is starting to convince even though I still don't rate his mate Charlie.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
trueblue said:
What's all this out of position rubbish? Since when has Harty NOT been a striker - there are some very short memories on heere. He's regularly filled that role down the years.
on heere...............since when was this a dutch board? :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What a bunch of clueless whingers :lol:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I love this thread. I'm going to keep dragging it up whenever the opportunity arises :lolol:

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
oapdodge said:
Currie can play.Why all the OGH tinted glasses.All this labelling him unfit and not caring is bollocks.We always have to pick players and just give them stick.Jones,Brooker all go through it because they have some skill good ball control but don't charge around like headless chickens at times.Give them a break.

Please keep bringing this back. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here