Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Darren Currie: Worse than David Lee?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Why, I repeat, WHY did we not give him three months?

fatboy said:
Why, I repeat, WHY did we not give him three months?

Because he would have taken the other contracts on offer from other clubs.

Don't go overboard like the doom merchants.

He has his strengths and he has his weaknesses.

We won't see the best of Currie until he has a targetman to aim his crosses at, or a more coherent midfield to give him the option of an inside pass. Reid was never within 20 or 30 yards of him yesterday because the Aussie is not match fit, so Currie was more or less hung out to dry last night.

Currie is a skilful, clever player. He will not give the ball away as cheaply as OGH - his over-optimistic dribbling does not have a great success rate these days. He has slightly quicker feet if not legs than John Piercy.

Currie would be in my Albion 11 this season.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
London Irish said:
Because he would have taken the other contracts on offer from other clubs.

Don't go overboard like the doom merchants.

He has his strengths and he has his weaknesses.

We won't see the best of Currie until he has a targetman to aim his crosses at, or a more coherent midfield to give him the option of an inside pass. Reid was never within 20 or 30 yards of him yesterday because the Aussie is not match fit, so Currie was more or less hung out to dry last night.

Currie is a skilful, clever player. He will not give the ball away as cheaply as OGH - his overtimistic dribbling does not have a great success rate these days. He has slightly quicker feet if not legs than John Piercy.

Currie would be in my Albion 11 this season.

I must join the London Irish fan club because I thin k that he is the only one talking any sense on this thread. The rest are talking as their guts guide them not their brains or eyes.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If I was Mark McGhee reading this tripe, I would feel like jumping on the first train out of Brighton.

How on earth can anyone slag off Currie after two games? He was certainly not the worst of our players against Plymouth, so why does he get all the flak? :angry:

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I for one thought it was a poor game yesterday evening, and the whole team were running arround the pitch like headless chickens. This was apparent from the first goal, and it got worse from then onwards.

In my humble opinion, from how I interpreted the radio commentary, and from H block last night, Harding was woefully lacking and wanting. It also seemed that Cullip and Butters were watching Harding and they had little faith in Kuipers, who has never been the same since the car accident.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Dover said:
It also seemed that Cullip and Butters were watching Harding and they had little faith in Kuipers, who has never been the same since the car accident.

I thought Kuipers was our one decent player last night, and he got the sponsors MOTM.

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
Currie can play.Why all the OGH tinted glasses.All this labelling him unfit and not caring is bollocks.We always have to pick players and just give them stick.Jones,Brooker all go through it because they have some skill good ball control but don't charge around like headless chickens at times.Give them a break.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Desert Orchid said:
I did say when he signed that I wasn't convinced by Currie. Now I am even less convinced. We can only hope he improves, but so far he appears no better than Beck or Lee (both of whom will surely be released soon) and considerably worse than Hart. To be fair, plenty of others were awful tonight, but there is probably a good reason why Currie hasn't been playing in the top two divisions.

he is a lot lot better than dan beck

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Desert Orchid said:
I did say when he signed that I wasn't convinced by Currie. Now I am even less convinced. We can only hope he improves, but so far he appears no better than Beck or Lee (both of whom will surely be released soon) and considerably worse than Hart. To be fair, plenty of others were awful tonight, but there is probably a good reason why Currie hasn't been playing in the top two divisions.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Desert Orchid said:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How long have us supporters been saying' what we nedd is player who can put his foot on the ball, slow the game down, and then pass it to somebody accurately and not rush around at 100mph'

2 or perhaps 3 years

We now have him and all he gets is slagged off for not running about.

What do the 100 experienced football managers on here want?

Jameson

Seen Currie 3 times including Lewes game and he was not impressive in many. Better in the second half last night. Disappointed in Reid as I had him down for one of the potential players of the season after play off performance. Nicholas looks good to me - only player who got into the game last night.

They need time to gel - shame it has to be now when they should already have got it together.

I blame poor pre-season friendlies. All lower league sides. Not much of a test. Plymouth played Southampton and Portsmouth. Reading played Man City. Spot the difference.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think that the quality of pre season games matter as the higher ones chop and change so much that invariably you do not play against their first team for very long if at all. It is a matter of getting fit and prepared mentally and tactically for the coming season. Trying out set pieces styes of play formations etc.

Jameson said:
I blame poor pre-season friendlies. All lower league sides. Not much of a test. Plymouth played Southampton and Portsmouth. Reading played Man City. Spot the difference.

Another red herring I'm afraid. Our pre-season fixture list has got nothing to do with the fact that many of our most influential players are unavailable for selection. There's no need to grasp at straws and look for any more complicated explanations than that to explain our current underperformance.

The positive thing is that the unavailability of these players is a TEMPORARY thing. Have the patience until then to get behind the manager and the team.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Re: Re: Darren Currie: Worse than David Lee?

London Irish said:
Let's do that.

Darren has sorted out the discussion himself with a masterful performance this afternoon.

It is a long time since we have seen a player here who has looked so comfortable with the ball and made such an array of mixed passes short, long, flicks you name it he did it. The vast majority of the players when under pressure hack the ball away as if to say don't give it me I don't want it. He is the opposite he always wants the ball and will then do something with it. Brilliant performance I hope it will shut up some of the whingers on here who want Gary HART to put his head down and run up his own arse with the ball. I had this argument with somebody, on the train going to the game, about this and his sole argument was 'at least Gary tries even if he is not very good'.

Last edited:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Re: Re: Re: Darren Currie: Worse than David Lee?

BensGrandad said:
Darren has sorted out the discussion himself with a masterful performance this afternoon.

It is a long time since we have seen a player here who has looked so comfortable with the ball and made such an array of mixed passes short, long, flicks you name it he did it. The vast majority of the players when under pressure hack the ball away as if to say don't give it me I don't want it. He is the opposite he always wants the ball and will then do something with it. Brilliant performance I hope it will shut up some of the whingers on here who want Gary HART to put his head down and run up his own arse with the ball. I had this argument with somebody, on the train going to the game, about this and his sole argument was 'at least Gary tries even if he is not very good'.

Have to agree BG, Currie's passing and vision was just what we need at this level and what exactly did Hart do when he came on ? Just his usual huff and puff and get nowhere or lose the ball.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
So, Currie or Hart?

We played some good football on the deck today.

Wouldn't have happend with Hart.

Oh i forgot.. Hart's The Saviour. :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here