Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dark Star Hophead all round the stadium at last - starting Saturday...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Is anyone on Burning Sky yet? It's the new gear from Mark Trantor the ex head brewer at Darkstar, personally I think it's beautiful stuff but rare as rocking horse s*** in Brighton and Hove, I've seen it in the Albert & Evening Star but never for long...

http://maltworms.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/burning-sky-gets-its-timing-right.html

I think he is still starting fairly small so his beers will be hard to find but at least they will be good quality. can vouch for the Burning Sky Saison, very very drinkable but at about 6% its not for the faint hearted.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think he is still starting fairly small so his beers will be hard to find but at least they will be good quality. can vouch for the Burning Sky Saison, very very drinkable but at about 6% its not for the faint hearted.

I keep meaning to give that a go.. The Plateau (3.5% IPA) Aurora (5.6% pale ale) & Devil's Rest (7% IPA) are beautiful.

The Plateau is a far better session beer than Hophead IMHO.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I keep meaning to give that a go.. The Plateau (3.5% IPA) Aurora (5.6% pale ale) & Devil's Rest (7% IPA) are beautiful.

Had the Plateau and the autumn Saison so far, both good. the Plateau at only 3.5% still tastes delightful and full flavoured.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Personally I would sooner they made London Pride available, shudder the thought but even the keg version is better than what we have at the moment.

Here we go again! I always think that Pride tastes like watered down Harveys so it's odd that you think Harveys is tasteless...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's my favouite tipple at the minute. Anyway, I've said too much already.

indeed, the Harvey's Mafia has lifted an eyelid and is awakening from it's fitful sleep.....away away !

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Here we go again! I always think that Pride tastes like watered down Harveys so it's odd that you think Harveys is tasteless...

All about opinions: I don't like Harveys and like Dark Star even less but am quite partial to London Pride and if feeling like a stronger beer I will have Fullers ESB but generally drinking imho is to your palette not to just have beer because of its ABV.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have a bottle of Brighton Best, from the King half of King & Barnes, lined up post dog walk.

I'll report back later.

Harvey's is ok and certainly better than Pride, but it definitely doesn't sit at the top table of quaffable quality beer.

Palmers IPA, Hogs Back TEA, and the granddaddy of them all Timmy Taylor's Landlord.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I have a bottle of Brighton Best, from the King half of King & Barnes, lined up post dog walk.

I'll report back later.

Harvey's is ok and certainly better than Pride, but it definitely doesn't sit at the top table of quaffable quality beer.

Palmers IPA, Hogs Back TEA, and the granddaddy of them all Timmy Taylor's Landlord.

Timmy Taylor Landlord is up there as one of the best for me along with Theaksons Old Peculiar.
HSB is also another favourite of mine, the Lewes Arms did a lovely pint of this on my last visit.

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
I admire the whole ethos of dark star, just a real shame that all their ales are far far too hoppy

HARVEYS FOR LIFE

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I used to deliver and collect from Dark Star's breweries and I'm not surprised that they failed to fulfill their Amex obligations. They couldn't organize a whatsit in a proverbial. You get the impression that there is no line of command and the workers just do what they want, but only when they feel like it. I won't start on cleanliness.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brighton Best, is another to add to the genre.

I don't think I'm drinking at the right time of year.
There's just a touch too much fruit for dark grey days, straight after a monster storm.

The rest of the year, esp Autumn, this is a lovely pint.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I used to deliver and collect from Dark Star's breweries and I'm not surprised that they failed to fulfill their Amex obligations. They couldn't organize a whatsit in a proverbial. You get the impression that there is no line of command and the workers just do what they want, but only when they feel like it. I won't start on cleanliness.
Do they deliver post, as well :lolol:

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Timmy Taylor Landlord is up there as one of the best for me along with Theaksons Old Peculiar.
HSB is also another favourite of mine, the Lewes Arms did a lovely pint of this on my last visit.

The trouble with TT Landlord is that it just doesn't travel. It takes for ever to settle so won't ever be used as a match-day option. Lovely stuff though.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Shameful, I know, but... although as a Sussex born & bred bloke I'm supposed to.... I simply don't like Harveys. At all. There. I've said it.

Always tastes far too weak, thin and watered down to me. I much prefer Dark Star, especially Hophead, and the nectar that is Revelation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here