Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
He's not older than this coach...

VCR327c.jpg
Proof that old vehicles are so much better than modern ones, in styling anyway

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Proof that old vehicles are so much better than modern ones, in styling anyway
Firmly camp #icygull on this. Indeed it is a beauty.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He’ll play an important part today.

I’m going to go as far as saying that he is the perfect Hürzeler striker. The best all round striker ever to wear the stripes.

Technically he is top drawer. He can score every sort of goal. Brilliant in the air, a fantastic left foot, and able to conjure up brilliant over-head kicks or neat chips and lobs and volleys.

But it’s all about the here and now with Dat Guy.

Gone are the days of 4-4-2, best 11 every week in a world where the striker needs 20+ goals per season in order to give his team a chance of success.

Danny Welbeck makes everyone else in the team score with his world class all round play. If we want to spread the goals across the team, he is the perfect foil.

A big and still fast, powerful and skilful No.9 is a handful for most defenders. But if you are marking him under a Hürzeler system. He just goes missing! He is looking for gaps to affect the game. He now goes all the way back to defensive midfield. He pops up on the wing. And just when you think he’s given up playing centre forward, he pulls your pants down like he did to the Everton centre backs last week giving you a good spanking reminder that in terms of an all round game, there are not many better than him in the EPL.

What an inspiration Dat Guy is to his teammates and our young players. What an astonishing role model for Ferguson and O’Mahony who clearly have natural finishing abilities and traditional big No.9 attributes but can watch and learn from Danny about being a striker who can perform equally adept in midfield or on the wing.

Pascal Groß is gone now. I think if anyone has now got any extra love to lavish on an experienced legend of a player, Dat Guy is the one.

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Sorry but Murray is better than Welbeck. Far better at finishing, heading and holding the ball up. Welbecks achilles heel is his poor scoring record.
For a free transfer though Welbeck has been fantastic

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Sorry but Murray is better than Welbeck. Far better at finishing, heading and holding the ball up. Welbecks achilles heel is his poor scoring record.
OK mate.

Don't get me wrong, I love Glenn Murray and he was great for us, but to say he is better than Danny Welbeck is nuts.

Welbeck got 16 goals in 42 games for England and you're telling me that Glenn is the better player? ("Far better" in fact 😵‍💫)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
A more consistent finisher. I’ll give you that. Which arguably is the more important attribute for an old fashioned No.9. In fact, I’m not sure how many Albion players can finish better than Murray, maybe Ferguson.

But Welbeck is superior in most other metrics. Faster, stronger, better at the dribble and the pass. Better ball control. And as for Murray being better at heading the ball than Welbeck, find a better Murray headed goal than this, I dare you!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
OK mate.

Don't get me wrong, I love Glenn Murray and he was great for us, but to say he is better than

Don't get me wrong, I love Glenn Murray and he was great for us, but to say he is better than Danny Welbeck is nuts.

Welbeck got 16 goals in 42 games for England and you're telling me that Glenn is the better player? ("Far better" in fact 😵‍💫)
Murray gòt double figure Premier league goals twice. something Welbeck couldn't do in something like 19 seasons.

No way Welbeck is a better finisher. Not even close.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Murray gòt double figure Premier league goals twice. something Welbeck couldn't do in something like 19 seasons.

Agreed. And Murray got his EPL goals here (and Bournemouth?) whereas some of Welbeck's seasons were at Man It's and Arsenal!

I don't see anything controversial in what you're saying. It's not a sleight on Welbeck to say Murray's finishing was better.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
He’ll play an important part today.

I’m going to go as far as saying that he is the perfect Hürzeler striker. The best all round striker ever to wear the stripes.

Technically he is top drawer. He can score every sort of goal. Brilliant in the air, a fantastic left foot, and able to conjure up brilliant over-head kicks or neat chips and lobs and volleys.

But it’s all about the here and now with Dat Guy.

Gone are the days of 4-4-2, best 11 every week in a world where the striker needs 20+ goals per season in order to give his team a chance of success.

Danny Welbeck makes everyone else in the team score with his world class all round play. If we want to spread the goals across the team, he is the perfect foil.

A big and still fast, powerful and skilful No.9 is a handful for most defenders. But if you are marking him under a Hürzeler system. He just goes missing! He is looking for gaps to affect the game. He now goes all the way back to defensive midfield. He pops up on the wing. And just when you think he’s given up playing centre forward, he pulls your pants down like he did to the Everton centre backs last week giving you a good spanking reminder that in terms of an all round game, there are not many better than him in the EPL.

What an inspiration Dat Guy is to his teammates and our young players. What an astonishing role model for Ferguson and O’Mahony who clearly have natural finishing abilities and traditional big No.9 attributes but can watch and learn from Danny about being a striker who can perform equally adept in midfield or on the wing.

Pascal Groß is gone now. I think if anyone has now got any extra love to lavish on an experienced legend of a player, Dat Guy is the one.
Top post

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Take out the penalties (which Welbeck has never benefitted from) and Glenn only has 27 goals in 148 appearances (in the prem). More than a quarter (10) of Murray's PL goals have been pens.

Glenn's a natural, canny finisher for sure, so there's definitely a conversation to be had between the two of them there. Where we disagree is you stating that Murray is simply the better player - I'd argue that Welbeck is streets ahead in most metrics (sorry Glenn, I do still love you).
You don't need to take my word for it either - Ferguson, Wenger and various England managers would tell you the same.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
A more consistent finisher. I’ll give you that. Which arguably is the more important attribute for an old fashioned No.9. In fact, I’m not sure how many Albion players can finish better than Murray, maybe Ferguson.

But Welbeck is superior in most other metrics. Faster, stronger, better at the dribble and the pass. Better ball control. And as for Murray being better at heading the ball than Welbeck, find a better Murray headed goal than this, I dare you!

I have to agree. His goal at Everton was sublime. I only noticed in slow mo as he does it so quickly, but, that little stud roll/drag back and body shift to put the ball on his left peg was wonderful. Blink and you’d miss it, amazing stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here