Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Cullip

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Hinsh played 40 games for us in that championship season before we lost him to injury in March. Swap Virgo for Reid in that case who was solid and whilst Harding may have been error prone (and I would certainly agree he was) we did miss him for a long time when he left.

Yes for us to get in the championship the defence had to be solid and Cullip was an integral part of it (As was Roberts, Harding ect). However that was 3/4 years ago when Cullip was only 27/28 - he is now 31 and not what we need to go forward.

I dont think we are likely to agree on this, Cullip (In my opinion) didn't cope with Championship football and would be a retrograde step if thats where we are looking to go next year.

Cullip is 31, yet we have Butter who is 38ish, surely the is more of a future in Cullip than Butters,
I just think it is worth bringing him back, even if for a short term, because his experience would be beneficial to our fairly young defenders, and we do need someone more mobile than Butters, who has experience and can read the game and organise the back 4, especially useful with our congested fixture list and with our injuries

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Cullip is 31, yet we have Butter who is 38ish, surely the is more of a future in Cullip than Butters,
I just think it is worth bringing him back, even if for a short term, because his experience would be beneficial to our fairly young defenders, and we do need someone more mobile than Butters, who has experience and can read the game and organise the back 4, especially useful with our congested fixture list and with our injuries

I dont think Butters has much a future, I would guess this is his last year. Without our injury crisis I dont think Butters would be playing either. Any of Elphick, Lynch, El-Abd or Hinch (if he is ever fit again) are above him. I honestly dont see how we could put Cullip above any of them. I dont remember Cullip ever being the most mobile of players either and 4 years have probably slowed him down a bit. I think Butters is a far better player for the youngsters to have around than Cullip.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I dont think Butters has much a future, I would guess this is his last year. Without our injury crisis I dont think Butters would be playing either. Any of Elphick, Lynch, El-Abd or Hinch (if he is ever fit again) are above him. I honestly dont see how we could put Cullip above any of them. I dont remember Cullip ever being the most mobile of players either and 4 years have probably slowed him down a bit. I think Butters is a far better player for the youngsters to have around than Cullip.

Lynch's form has been poor, I had hoped he would continue to improve and impress, but feel he hasn't, and his form tends to fluctuate wildly, he was at fault for goals in the last home game he played in this season, and did look uncomfortable, he always seems to need several games to get any form back

Hinsh is still injured, this means we have Elphick, Butters and El-Abd, (who has been played in a wide variety of positions this season, yet is still seen by some on here as a liability) so another player would be handy imo

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Lynch's form has been poor, I had hoped he would continue to improve and impress, but feel he hasn't, and his form tends to fluctuate wildly, he was at fault for goals in the last home game he played in this season, and did look uncomfortable, he always seems to need several games to get any form back

Hinsh is still injured, this means we have Elphick, Butters and El-Abd, (who has been played in a wide variety of positions this season, yet is still seen by some on here as a liability) so another player would be handy imo

I think Lynch has probably been messed about abit in terms of his position which hasn't helped either.

I do agree we need another body back there as cover, would prefer we went for a player in his early 20's than someone getting towards the end of his career.

In regards to El-Abd he can be a bit of a liability but has recently been in good form and is deserved of a place in the side (never though I'd be saying that!), alongside Elphick who El-Abd has formed a partnership with.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I think Lynch has probably been messed about abit in terms of his position which hasn't helped either.

I do agree we need another body back there as cover, would prefer we went for a player in his early 20's than someone getting towards the end of his career.

In regards to El-Abd he can be a bit of a liability but has recently been in good form and is deserved of a place in the side (never though I'd be saying that!), alongside Elphick who El-Abd has formed a partnership with.

I was thinking Cullip as a spare body, even if only til the end of the season, because he's available (remeber the transfer window is closed - althought the loan window opens soon, it doesn't mean we may be able to find someone with experience which we need more of in the team), He's local ( so not unsettled by a big move or lots of travel) would have high wage demands, as he just wants too play football again, he's passionate and gives his all, and therefore i still rate him and wouldn't mind if he did return

There have been calls for Curry to return, but couldn't your arguements about age, etc also apply to him, yet the majority would still welcome him back

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I was thinking Cullip as a spare body, even if only til the end of the season, because he's available (remeber the transfer window is closed - althought the loan window opens soon, it doesn't mean we may be able to find someone with experience which we need more of in the team), He's local ( so not unsettled by a big move or lots of travel) would have high wage demands, as he just wants too play football again, he's passionate and gives his all, and therefore i still rate him and wouldn't mind if he did return

There have been calls for Curry to return, but couldn't your arguements about age, etc also apply to him, yet the majority would still welcome him back

I think Currie is a different kettle of fish, we do desperatly need a winger who can put decent crosses in - something which we are lacking. If we didn't have good enough Centre Backs then I dont think I would have so much of a problem with bringing Cullip in. I'm pretty sure Currie would bring a positive atmosphere to the team but im not so sure Cullip would. In my opinion if Cullip was still good enough for this level he would have been snapped up by now, though then again im just speculating that he hasn't been offered a contract or two.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
We do not need Cullip back, it wouldn't work.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
As someone said earlier.

Cullip has had his time with us.

I'd even extend that to Currie.

We need to look to the future not the past.

Is the correct answer, new faces are called for, not old memories.

SEAGULLS TILL I DIE

Jan 6, 2008
i can understand people wanting to look towards the future but we also have to think about now! danny cullip is a true legend in the mordern history at the club, he always gives 110% and is always reliable-class player!
and dougdeep...i bet you wouldnt be moaning if zamora came back to us!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Cullip must be really good these days if he can't get a game anywhere else.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The nitty gritty of this thread is that Cullip WAS a good defender but anybody who saw him playing for QPR reserves against our reserves will tell you he has lost it and ISNT now, hence the reason he has been released by QPR and nobody has signed him, even as cover.

i can understand people wanting to look towards the future but we also have to think about now! danny cullip is a true legend in the mordern history at the club, he always gives 110% and is always reliable-class player!

But Zamora is different gravy, and with Prem experience. Cullip was always just an average lower-league shouter, and has proven to not be good enough for the Championship standard.

Y'know football is not just about names and old (minor, in our case) glories in bygone days!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Is correct, we do need some cover at the moment, we know what he is like as a player, and what he can do on the pitch, he can still do the job for us, even just til the end of the season

"Lets have a winner" back at this club, bring him back now!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The nitty gritty of this thread is that Cullip WAS a good defender but anybody who saw him playing for QPR reserves against our reserves will tell you he has lost it and ISNT now, hence the reason he has been released by QPR and nobody has signed him, even as cover.

I saw him and agree with that.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah, why not, get him back in, I mean he was great for us EIGHT YEARS AGO.

Hell, let's give Mark Lawrenson a call, after all, he was arguably the best player the Albion have ever had, he keeps himself fit, and I'm sure he could be persuaded along on a pay as you play basis, one that allows him to finish in time to record Match Of The Day.

FFS, Cullip was starting to lose it before he left us, and in that time he's failed at Sheffield United, failed at Forest and failed at QPR. What does that suggest about his ability and form?

I bet those of you begging for his return are the same ones who think Kuipers, Butters, Oatway, Watson etc should all be offered jobs for life because they were once part of a very successful team.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
A lot of people would perhaps question Cullip's attitude toward young players.

However, perhaps what the likes of Cox etc needs is an older pro keeping them in their place..?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

So the arguement for not bringing him back is one poor reserve game? There could have been a story behind his performance such as returning after injury, etc..

You can't accurately judge a player on just one game,

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The fact that QPR released him before they had all of their money and no other club has shown any interests suggests that the poor reserve game wasnt a one off but the usual performance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here