Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I get what your saying, and I respect your views, I really do, but, I do everything I can to avoid filling the coffers of certain countries, not just Saudi. I include China and Israel too. Like you say, sometimes it's unavoidable but I do what I can.

As for blaming players and staff? Well I think I can, if they refused to sign, the Saudi's would soon disappear off into the sunset and put their billions elsewhere.

Global capital, and its movement, as highlighted by Russia’s billions in London, makes it virtually impossible to identify the coffers of any malevolent regime. It’s fabulous that people (try to) set their moral compass to steer away from bad agents - but the reality is that it’s virtually impossible to do so.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Just out of interest - are you 100% sure you know what countries Tony Bloom has made his Billions~ in ?

I'm pretty sure he's made money all over the globe.

As I said, I avoid buying products or services from certain countries where I can.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Confess that I am very interested to see how BDB does. Potter sets his teams up very differently to Smug who seems to eschew defence over attack. He could be much more exposed than he has been :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Confess that I am very interested to see how BDB does. Potter sets his teams up very differently to Smug who seems to eschew defence over attack. He could be much more exposed than he has been :shrug:

Well be chucking at the 13m when she treads on the ball and shins in an o.g. :lolol:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
My eldest was upset at Dan Burn leaving the Albion, so I explained that Newcastle was his childhood club, a former season ticket holder etc.

"It's like me playing for Barcelona", I said, "then signing for..." but he was already rolling on the floor laughing by this point.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I get what your saying, and I respect your views, I really do, but, I do everything I can to avoid filling the coffers of certain countries, not just Saudi. I include China and Israel too. Like you say, sometimes it's unavoidable but I do what I can.

As for blaming players and staff? Well I think I can, if they refused to sign, the Saudi's would soon disappear off into the sunset and put their billions elsewhere.

For every player that shares your moral high ground there will be another to take their place. Man City, PSG, Sheff Utd, Charlton, Malaga, Everton, Arsenal and their Emirates stadium....list goes on of football clubs owned effectively by Gulf states with questionable human rights records, never mind a world cup coming up. The government is welcoming Saudi investment with open arms - I really don't think a footballer refusing to sign for NUFC is going to make the slightest bit of difference. The best thing we can do is raise awareness how far their influence is being made in this country. The only reason I keep posting is blaming players or employees is missing the huge picture of what is happening, particularly since the B-word and this fabled free trade agreements we can make, basically we can gloss over how unsavory the human rights records are as long as the cash comes in.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Good luck big man and many thanks for your contribution to the Albion, you will be missed. Some observations looking forward

1. Although you probably won't have much direct contact with them, be under no illusions - you are the hired help as far as the Saudi's are concerned, they now own you, Smug and everything that moves up there,
2. Be prepared for a period of adjustment of indeterminate length - Potter and Smug are chalk and cheese - do not expect to replicate your Albion form without needing to make some maybe quite significant changes to the way you and the team play, and
3. The Albion dressing room sounds like it was/is a pretty happy place, well facilitated and led by a good man-manager - with all the change taking place, comings and goings, the Newcastle dressing room will take a while to settle down and integration into the group may
take a little longer and Smug will have his work cut out to get everything sorted on and off the pitch in time to get the team playing in such a way that they avoid the drop,

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
would have liked to have squeezed a little more cash out of the Saudi's for the following reason:

1- it sets a precedence that we won't simply bend over in the future.
2- I understand that Wigan have a nice little sell on clause.

Aside from the 'boyhood club' part it seems like a strange move for BDB. He will earn much more dosh but from a footballing perspective only he has made a step backwards IMO. He will be shipped out or worse in 6-12 months once they start moving on from interim signing and sign the real superstars. He could also be playing championship football next year.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Aside from the 'boyhood club' part it seems like a strange move for BDB. He will earn much more dosh but from a footballing perspective only he has made a step backwards IMO. He will be shipped out or worse in 6-12 months once they start moving on from interim signing and sign the real superstars. He could also be playing championship football next year.

I'm not sure he'd be that bothered. He has probably doubled his wages, guaranteed for 2-3 years. As a professional footballer you'd back yourself to perform so you don't end up playing Championship football next season. FWIW , I think he has shown he is a useful squad player so probably has 18 months in him around the Newcastle team

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
would have liked to have squeezed a little more cash out of the Saudi's for the following reason:

Brighton… Bent over? Apart from the obvious innuendo the one thing that no one will do is take the piss out of us in the transfer market. The club know their value for each player and the conversation will not get serious until that threshold is reached. In BDB’s case he is 29 and it’s his boyhood club. We probably got more than we were expecting and didn’t sweat Geordie Arabia too much because Of DB’s NE roots.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Good of luck to BDB, thanks for the memories. Never forget the winner against Citeh

Less good luck to Saudi FC

This. Top bloke.

And after we pay Wigan sell on, this is what we're loosing for about 11 million net :-(

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

There are few footballing Geordies that wouldn't want NUFC on their CV.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here