Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tony Bloom has always said that he won't stand in a player's way if a bidding club meets his valuation. BDB's valuation may seem low, but we have to presume that it is impacted by his age, the time left on his contract and what the club think it would cost to replace him in the squad. Left footed centre back Haydon Roberts has been on the bench all season without playing. He has also played left back. I suspect that he won't now go out on loan. The club has Van Hecke and Clarke on loan in the Championship and two age range Belgian International centre backs in the U23s. I would imagine that this bigger picture stuff would have contributed to the club's valuation of Burn. I would also guess that the fact that contract negotiations are imminent for other, more financially valuable, squad members may also impact things. Selling Dan now evidences to others that the club will not stop squad members from moving if valuations are met.

The business model is about developing players and trying to sell them on when they reach their peak value. The club has obviously decided that C£13m is BDB's peak value. That value may seem low in isolation, but if the club feels that, for instance, giving 19 year old Roberts more opportunity to prove himself as potentially of greater value and more reason to sign another contract (his current deal ends the same time as Dan's), that could be reducing the level at which the club will deal for Dan Burn.

When we sell Roberts (or A NOther) to Man U for £60m in 2 years time (he was thrust into the PL limelight after we sold Burn you see, but did brilliantly), it’ll look like even better business

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Unless you get everything right most clubs to be assured of staying up have to sell to raise funds to buy players and improve squad. Maybe struggling now but Burnley, Southampton have survived like this. Even Leicester sold Chilwell for £50m and Brentford raised 60m by selling 2 best players.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
For those bemoaning this deal, there is a lot of recency bias obviously being applied as he has played well over the past month but just to point out, he has only started 12 of our 22 league games this season and got subbed early in 2 of those starts because he wasn’t playing well.

He really isn’t a particularly great loss to us as a team and add the fact he has just 18 months left on his deal and is turning 30 in three months time, I don’t think we’ve done too bady out of this at all. If someone had suggested £13 million for him 6 weeks ago, they’d have been laughed off the board.

Plus, I am certain that he will look shit under Howe and the Geordies will be saying he was a waste of money within a couple of months. Potter makes him look better than he is.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Unless you get everything right most clubs to be assured of staying up have to sell to raise funds to buy players and improve squad. Maybe struggling now but Burnley, Southampton have survived like this. Even Leicester sold Chilwell for £50m and Brentford raised 60m by selling 2 best players.

Didn't Leicester polish a massive turd and rinse Manure? :lolol:

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Tony Bloom has played a blinder here. First NUFC with their endless pot of money looking to buy possibly our best CB in Webster, Bloom knows we will not match any offer they come up with, decides to deflect the attention on to our 5th choice, who is nearly 30 and will probably be a bench warmer for the rest of the season and manages to pocket £13m for him.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Good deal? Not sure
Been ripped off? Probably not.

What I do know is that Uncle Tone and Barber Out have steered us right for years and more recently DA and GPott have overseen a total evolution in the clubs playing style.

Admittedly I dont always see the picture and many actions have baffled me (such as letting Knocky go, Andone binned when we didn't have a striker, Duffers as POTS to Celtic etc.. ) but we have come through it better than before.

Trust in the plan, TB and Co have an agenda and its resulting in the best football I've ever seen us play.

Good luck Dan. Thanks for being part of the journey but we move on and upwards.

Edit: [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] said it better than me in his Little Old Brighton thread.

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Admittedly I dont always see the picture and many actions have baffled me (such as letting Knocky go, Andone binned when we didn't have a striker, Duffers as POTS to Celtic etc.. ) but we have come through it better than before.

No dickheads policy perhaps??

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Hopefully not posting from BT internet service, and obviously never filled up with fuel before. Got to stand by that moral compass. :thumbsup:

1) I don't drive
2) I don't use BT
3) I'm not in the country at the moment.
4) You're just clutching at straws now.
5) Email the partner of Jamal Khashoggi and tell her your thoughts.

At the end of the day, their is no grey area when it comes to human rights, you either advocate them, or you don't. You can't cherry pick the parts you like. :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
1) I don't drive
2) I don't use BT
3) I'm not in the country at the moment.
4) You're just clutching at straws now.
5) Email the partner of Jamal Khashoggi and tell her your thoughts.

At the end of the day, their is no grey area when it comes to human rights, you either advocate them, or you don't. You can't cherry pick the parts you like. :thumbsup:

Absolutely. But this is about whether we criticise a footballer playing for a football club when the Saudi’s permeate our lives more than people probably know. Someone can’t take the moral high ground having voted a certain way, buying certain products or services that have backing, investments, trade deals from the same regime. There’s a lot of people who say they would never do what Burn has done, but will fill up at BP this week, tune in to BT sport, drive a Jag or Land Rover, bank with HSBC…list goes on, these free trade deals mean the money from all these human rights Gulf countries is flooding in. It seems from your logic as a country we very much advocate.

I don’t, but then I don’t think the likes of Dan Burn or Eddie Howe are the problem either.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Harry Kane signed for us tomorrow, he would be immediately dropped from the England squad. BHA+England does not mix when it comes to Fishlips.

This is fact.

I will raise a wry smile if BDB makes the tactical numpties squad after a couple of good games for Newcastle

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Absolutely gutted we are losing BDB, full stop.

Even more gutted he is going to that bunch in the north east given their ownership.

Still, I think Newcastle’s recruitment looks as scatter gun as ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He’s a good player with a good attitude and he’s done well for us - particularly recently.

I’ll be sorry to see him go, but he’s not worth £13,000,000, and we’ve got loads of other good CBs who deserve a go. What’s the problem?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Happy for BDB, sad that he is leaving as he has been great. Sad that his home club is run by that bunch of butchers. Must have been a difficult decision for him to go. Good luck to him. Hope they get relegated and he has an opt out clause so he can go and play for the Spartans with a wad in his wallet.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Absolutely gutted we are losing BDB, full stop.

Even more gutted he is going to that bunch in the north east given their ownership.

Still, I think Newcastle’s recruitment looks as scatter gun as ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding their present recruitment, their backs are against the wall, and this transfer window is fundamentally being used to do what they can to stay in the Prem. If they succeed in that, then short term job done. From then on I think they will form a longer term recruitment strategy.
The sole aim at the moment is to stay up and I think they will.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Absolutely. But this is about whether we criticise a footballer playing for a football club when the Saudi’s permeate our lives more than people probably know. Someone can’t take the moral high ground having voted a certain way, buying certain products or services that have backing, investments, trade deals from the same regime. There’s a lot of people who say they would never do what Burn has done, but will fill up at BP this week, tune in to BT sport, drive a Jag or Land Rover, bank with HSBC…list goes on, these free trade deals mean the money from all these human rights Gulf countries is flooding in. It seems from your logic as a country we very much advocate.

I don’t, but then I don’t think the likes of Dan Burn or Eddie Howe are the problem either.

I get what your saying, and I respect your views, I really do, but, I do everything I can to avoid filling the coffers of certain countries, not just Saudi. I include China and Israel too. Like you say, sometimes it's unavoidable but I do what I can.

As for blaming players and staff? Well I think I can, if they refused to sign, the Saudi's would soon disappear off into the sunset and put their billions elsewhere.

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
He’s a good player with a good attitude and he’s done well for us - particularly recently.

I’ll be sorry to see him go, but he’s not worth £13,000,000, and we’ve got loads of other good CBs who deserve a go. What’s the problem?

This.

Great lad, good performer, but at the end of the day 5th choice, and he's not stupid.

Thanks Dan, all the very best in your future career.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I get what your saying, and I respect your views, I really do, but, I do everything I can to avoid filling the coffers of certain countries, not just Saudi. I include China and Israel too. Like you say, sometimes it's unavoidable but I do what I can.

As for blaming players and staff? Well I think I can, if they refused to sign, the Saudi's would soon disappear off into the sunset and put their billions elsewhere.

Just out of interest - are you 100% sure you know what countries and how Tony Bloom has made his Billions~ in ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here