Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
What a good deal for club and a great opportunity for Burn to go back home and play in front of 50k supporters. For his sake hope he plays CB although I would like to see him at LB against us and Lamptey. Lets face it he has Dunks injury to thank for this deal. Outstanding filling in at CB and sure it was his man to man job on Lukaku twice that sealed the deal

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Our defending options now without Dan burn think we should be okay
Cucurella
lamptey
march
Veltman
dunk
Duffy
Webster

Ayo Tanimowo
Haydon Roberts if he stays
Ed turns
Odel Offiah
Lars Dendoncker
And others who are on loan from the club

Ooof, the second half of that list, not so much... Hardly any professional league experience there let alone top half PL!
We'd need an experienced centre back to replace Burn, or a right back to allow Veltman to be the fourth CB.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Agree with you around squad depth, but I would have thought £18m with add-ons. The fact it is our second highest outgoing is irrelevant, as the quality of player and level they’re playing at has improved, not to mention transfer fees have increased.

Probably would get less in the summer ‘if’ a new contract hadn’t been agreed, but just feel we could have got more….. of course Sky may be wrong with the fee quoted, and we don’t know if there are any additional fees.

Yes - fees quoted in public are often unreliable so hard to judge Not sure anyone could reasonably say given the market for 29 year old PL CBs though that the fee is “piss” or “buttons” mind. Ha !

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Certainly NOT shocking business, although, given It is the Beheaders, I would have held out for 15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then it IS shocking! In a world where shocking is used to describe defending every Saturday night, getting shorted by several million is actually a CATASTROPHE!

Dean Saunders again, and we all know what followed. We are practically DOOMED, it’s a FIRESALE.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We should have demanded 20 million. We have been robbed.

I think you have to accept our motivation for selling him isn’t for the money, or our squad, but we’ve obviously felt as a club it would be wrong to stand in the way of a move for a player who has been a model pro for the club.

If you stand in the way of every move then I don’t think that engenders a team spirit that we’ve had established in this club for a good 7 years now.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes - fees quoted in public are often unreliable so hard to judge Not sure anyone could reasonably say given the market for 29 year old PL CBs though that the fee is “piss” or “buttons” mind. Ha !

I think it does weaken us squad wise, but as you highlighted not from a team perspective.

Newcastle are getting a versatile player that can cover two positions……. So I think they’ve done well with the price. 😃

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Exactly. He has been in the form of his life the past few months when we have needed him because of injuries. With first choices back in the team he goes to Newcastle with our blessing. Something tells me he is about to get a lot busier behind a significantly inferior midfield than the one he has been used to.

Agreed, in all honesty if NUFC avoid relegation will BDB be a first team regular for them in the EPL? no what with the money they have to spend, the only way he will likely be a regular first team player for them next season is if they are relegated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Buy from Wigan for £4m
Sell to Newcastle, in the last realistic selling window, for £13m.

Have some great memories in between.

What's not to love?

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
A good deal for all parties IMO. Providing Brighton don’t suffer 3 injuries & suspensions to their CBs at once again.

Burn gets to play for his boyhood club and to keep them up ahead of a potential windfall of investment. He’ll be very happy.

Brighton get £13M for a 29 year old with 18 months left on their contract. A good and enhanced price. It also solves a headache of extending his deal / moving him on later. At 29 I can’t see Burn being worth more than £13M now. The squad will keep Dunk, Webster and Veltman as first choice CBs with Duffy 4th and Roberts 5th. Not a disaster situation.

The biggest loser from all this, unfortunately, is Potter. He’s lost one of his players he was intending to keep. Clearly a fan of Burn and his versatility. But this does provide an opportunity to others, and next season I expect the next young CB (Van Hecke?) to be integrated into the first team squad, a challenge Potter will enjoy too.

This also shows to the rest of the squad how much Brighton value players and development, but also no player is priced out of a move elsewhere. Should help convince our other starts with running down contracts to sign extensions.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I'm amazed everyone thinks this is such a great deal for BHA. £13m for an experienced top 10 PL centreback who's got a good 4-5 years in him, is playing regularly, and is (was) an important member of the team, particularly with his versatility. When we don't need the money, and have got a desperate club loaded with cash by the bollocks on the other end of the line. £13m in todays market is piss.

Who could we go out and get for £13m to replace him ? Some Championship youngster with 'potential' ? Or perhaps some bloke from a midtable club in Belgium. Great.

Yeah this is how I see it, but I guess also he’s been a good servant, never made a fuss being shunted in and out the team and around positions, and maybe was more enthusiastic about going there than was made public (and who can blame him - probably his only chance to play for his boyhood club and earn a big contract). The club have always been consistent that we won’t stand in the way of a player if our valuation is met. But it undoubtedly weakens us, and £13m doesn’t seem that much to me either in the current market.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Agreed, in all honesty if NUFC avoid relegation will BDB be a first team regular for them in the EPL? no what with the money they have to spend, the only way he will likely be a regular first team player for them next season is if they are relegated.

If Duffy and Dunk hadn’t been injured at the same time, do you think he’s a regular first team starter for us? Think his chances with us may not be that different to NU in the EPL if they survive. They may well invest, but I doubt that relegates him to any different to how he is with us - i.e. steps up when needed.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
With our other players doing well and coming in demand by others, they are going to be seeking higher wages in contract renewals. Thus we need to cash in on some players, when convenient to us, to fund the costs involved in trying to keep 'our' Biss. Trossard, Maupay, Lamptey etc

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Best sell Maupay and Biss too then - as they will go for nothing in 18 months too.
Nobody knows when contract discussions take place , but you would hope both those 2 are in discussions now and the club are offering decent wages

The big difference though is that we have good CB cover coming through. I cant see Ostigard staying if he doesnt get a chance next season. I’m not sure we could say the same about the striker situation.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yeah this is how I see it, but I guess also he’s been a good servant, never made a fuss being shunted in and out the team and around positions, and maybe was more enthusiastic about going there than was made public (and who can blame him - probably his only chance to play for his boyhood club and earn a big contract). The club have always been consistent that we won’t stand in the way of a player if our valuation is met. But it undoubtedly weakens us, and £13m doesn’t seem that much to me either in the current market.

It is 13 Tariq Lamptey... if the money is spent wisely.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Can only assume he was more keen on the move than posters suggested last week. Absolute steal and irreplaceable at that price but I wish him well. Seems a top bloke and what a payday.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Buy from Wigan for £4m
Sell to Newcastle, in the last realistic selling window, for £13m.

Have some great memories in between.

What's not to love?

Indeed. Dan will thank us for letting him go too I'm sure.

Any word on a survival bonus? Seems like something we would impose to maximise the deal.

boik

I'm amazed everyone thinks this is such a great deal for BHA. £13m for an experienced top 10 PL centreback who's got a good 4-5 years in him, is playing regularly, and is (was) an important member of the team, particularly with his versatility. When we don't need the money, and have got a desperate club loaded with cash by the bollocks on the other end of the line. £13m in todays market is piss.

Who could we go out and get for £13m to replace him ? Some Championship youngster with 'potential' ? Or perhaps some bloke from a midtable club in Belgium. Great.

We've got Dunk to replace him. Or Duffy. We don't need to spend the money on a replacement. It was a fairly unique situation that Dunk Duffy and Webster were all unavailable at the same time. If it happens again, one of our rapidly maturing youngsters will step up. No need to panic.

Farewell big Dan and thanks for your always 100% commitment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here