Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Shocking business I agree. Let’s get rid of Lamptey for a fiver too, just because another PL club want him and we’re little old Brighton. Sake…

Certainly NOT shocking business, although, given It is the Beheaders, I would have held out for 15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
IMHO, at the start of the season when all our CB are fit would BDB be first choice I don't think so, would I have him in place of Webdini,Dunk or Duffy no, would I have him as a wing back in place of Cucu no. Remember he's only had a consistent run of games due to injury and suspension, admittedly this last few months he has been outstanding. £13 m for a 30 year old sub is a good deal in my eyes.

The only way I see him as a miss is we are 1 versatile sub short.

Anyway good luck BDB Hope u enjoy playing for ur home town club. Thanks for the service u have given to BHAFC.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wrote this when the takeover was done:

Sad to see it come true, my favorite player along with Maupay. £13m is decent money for Brighton however, Newcastle get a defender who is better than all their current ones and BDB gets to move to his favorite club and top of his wonky but hard worked career with some big bags of money. Think everyone invovled could be reasonably happy with the deal.

And people claim you don’t know what you’re talking about or you don’t understand English football culture!? :shrug::wink:

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
But with 18 months left on his contract it was a risk if he didnt re-sign as he wouldnt have been worth much come the summer. Also we could have lost some of the younger talented CB’s if he was blocking their path

Best sell Maupay and Biss too then - as they will go for nothing in 18 months too.
Nobody knows when contract discussions take place , but you would hope both those 2 are in discussions now and the club are offering decent wages

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Im not annoyed at us selling as sounds like BDB would have been keen on the move, we have a load of centre backs and more ready to step in next season, but we should have held out for more like £20m

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm amazed everyone thinks this is such a great deal for BHA. £13m for an experienced top 10 PL centreback who's got a good 4-5 years in him, is playing regularly, and is (was) an important member of the team, particularly with his versatility. When we don't need the money, and have got a desperate club loaded with cash by the bollocks on the other end of the line. £13m in todays market is piss.

Who could we go out and get for £13m to replace him ? Some Championship youngster with 'potential' ? Or perhaps some bloke from a midtable club in Belgium. Great.

Not sure why there’s all this cynicism about our strength in depth at centre back- Webster was once a champ “youngster “ with potential , Dunk, Veltman , Roberts and Duffy is quite the bench. And then we have Van Hecke who has been outstanding for likely PL team Blackburn next season , 19 year old Ed Turns ( and Clarke, Ostigard etc). And £13m for a 29 year old CB is hardly “piss”. - it’s the 2nd biggest transfer out for Brighton for starters and on a par with what Leicester paid Saints for (then 28) Vestergaard a few months ago. Is it realistic to assume we’d expect £20m ? Would we have got that if we’d sold him in the summer ?
This all seems pretty reasonable all round and suits the two clubs and Burns. Hard to stir up a massive fuss about it !

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes we have cover / backup when everyone is fit. But we are emerging from this window weaker as a team, because we have just sold one of our most consistent performers, and for buttons.

Turkeydove

Aug 5, 2020
I take it from the coversation on here that BDB has left us, have to say i am disapointed in us letting him go, but i guess thats how it goes

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Good luck to him.

If they're relegated, he will play regularly for them in the Championship. If they stay up, the best he can hope for is to warm the bench next season.

Is the correct answer! Best of luck to him as a big contract at his age back in his area so too good to turn down. Played wherever asked for us, a great attitude and under pressure from some quarters turned his form round with the highlight being mastering Lukaku.

We have depth at centre back so no need to panic. We just need to tell Newcastle that his best position is wing back! :lolol:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
IMHO, at the start of the season when all our CB are fit would BDB be first choice I don't think so, would I have him in place of Webdini,Dunk or Duffy no, would I have him as a wing back in place of Cucu no. Remember he's only had a consistent run of games due to injury and suspension, admittedly this last few months he has been outstanding. £13 m for a 30 year old sub is a good deal in my eyes.

The only way I see him as a miss is we are 1 versatile sub short.

Anyway good luck BDB Hope u enjoy playing for ur home town club. Thanks for the service u have given to BHAFC.

Exactly. He has been in the form of his life the past few months when we have needed him because of injuries. With first choices back in the team he goes to Newcastle with our blessing. Something tells me he is about to get a lot busier behind a significantly inferior midfield than the one he has been used to.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Sad to see him go. Has been an excellent CB for us (even did well out of position) and close to being a first choice option ahead of Duffy.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes we have cover / backup when everyone is fit. But we are emerging from this window weaker as a team, because we have just sold one of our most consistent performers, and for buttons.

We really haven’t sold him for “buttons” . We’re actually emerging from this window stronger as a team because we know have Lewis Dunk, Webster and Shane Duffy fit again.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not sure why there’s all this cynicism about our strength in depth at centre back- Webster was once a champ “youngster “ with potential , Dunk, Veltman , Roberts and Duffy is quite the bench. And then we have Van Hecke who has been outstanding for likely PL team Blackburn next season , 19 year old Ed Turns ( and Clarke, Ostigard etc). And £13m for a 29 year old CB is hardly “piss”. - it’s the 2nd biggest transfer out for Brighton for starters and on a par with what Leicester paid Saints for (then 28) Vestergaard a few months ago. Is it realistic to assume we’d expect £20m ? Would we have got that if we’d sold him in the summer ?
This all seems pretty reasonable all round and suits the two clubs and Burns. Hard to stir up a massive fuss about it !

Agree with you around squad depth, but I would have thought £18m with add-ons. The fact it is our second highest outgoing is irrelevant, as the quality of player and level they’re playing at has improved, not to mention transfer fees have increased.

Probably would get less in the summer ‘if’ a new contract hadn’t been agreed, but just feel we could have got more….. of course Sky may be wrong with the fee quoted, and we don’t know if there are any additional fees.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I think he's joining the right (for him, as 'home') club but at the wrong time. I hope he shines there whilst everything around him goes even more shite.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Shame. Didn't want to lose him. Question is, who fills that position now?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
So where are all the Dan Burn haters saying good riddance?
Even today they would still slate him if he put a foot wrong or made a mistake leading to a goal.
Their silence speaks volumes, as Partridge would say.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I imagine the plan is to have one of Clarke, Ostigard, Roberts or Van Hecke replace him this summer. Let’s not forget where we picked Burn up from and this move presents a chance for one of the defenders in the pipeline which is what the club model is all about.

With Dunk returning he would most likely find himself back in the utility role and has been presented a chance to play for his boyhood club. The club generally do not stand in the way of players who express the desire to take a move as long as valuation has been reached. Clearly club thought this represented good value.

For the fee it’s not the biggest granted but with 12 months left in the summer what could we realistically have expected.

We should have demanded 20 million. We have been robbed.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
Our defending options now without Dan burn think we should be okay
Cucurella
lamptey
march
Veltman
dunk
Duffy
Webster
Ayo Tanimowo