Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don’t recall any talk of unrest when CH was here and he couldn’t get near the first team, I think the guy is a model professional and exactly the sort of player we want to stay here. He is in a purple patch at the moment and if he stays I doubt Dunk walks back into the team.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Youre barking up the wrong tree, as has been said Howe is just a football manager, who has been offered a job, whilst out of work, to manage a big football club.

That's right. Nobody has to take any personal responsibility for their decisions and jobs in sport are completely separate from human rights issues. This was all settled back in 1990 when Mike Gatting was just a cricket captain who had been offered a job, whilst out of work to lead a touring party to Apartheid era South Africa.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Howe is entitled to take any job if it is offered, no arguments. But we are equally entitled to draw conclusions if he chooses to work for representatives of a journalist-murdering, hospital-bombing, misogynistic regime and ignore the human rights implications.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Howe is entitled to take any job if it is offered, no arguments. But we are equally entitled to draw conclusions if he chooses to work for representatives of a journalist-murdering, hospital-bombing, misogynistic regime and ignore the human rights implications.

Exactly.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

What I find amazing, odd, hypocritical maybe, is that there seems to be very little protest, complaint or criticism that we’ve potentially sold £20bn worth of arms and munitions to them since they started bombing Yemen in 2015, yet buy a football club and choose the manage them and it’s time to take them to task! I’m a bit more worried about our continued arming of their regime, for this country’s profit than who manages or plays for Newcastle United. Let’s get things in perspective.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/saudi-arabia-uk-arms-sale-b1884158.html%3Famp

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
What I find amazing, odd, hypocritical maybe, is that there seems to be very little protest, complaint or criticism that we’ve potentially sold £20bn worth of arms and munitions to them since they started bombing Yemen in 2015, yet buy a football club and choose the manage them and it’s time to take them to task! I’m a bit more worried about our continued arming of their regime, for this country’s profit than who manages or plays for Newcastle United. Let’s get things in perspective.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/saudi-arabia-uk-arms-sale-b1884158.html%3Famp

Of course, you're right, but many have been disgusted by the government for continuing to enable mass slaughter of innocents for money all the time

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
[tweet]1487419590367928329[/tweet]

It’s almost as if Tony is playing them :D

Imagine being the richest club in the world and trying to lowball a professional poker player :smokin::laugh:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
there seems to be very little protest, complaint or criticism that we’ve potentially sold £20bn worth of arms and munitions to them since they started bombing Yemen in 2015,

There has been a lot of protest. A lot. But it doesn't get much coverage, for reasons that should be obvious. The Saudi's buying Newcastle is not the worst thing they've done - not by a long long way. But it is an opportunity to raise awareness and draw attention to all their real crimes. Which is why the likes of Howe and the Newscastle supporters, by turning a blind eye and celebrating the takeover are helping to make the sportswashing effective. And thus become complicit in the bigger crimes.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

But Smug Eddie is still in the wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

I'm not a fan of the arms sales either to be honest :shrug:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Somebody on twitter with no links to Dan Burn, his agent, BHAFC or NUFC says the second bid was 10million (plus addons) and it was rejected. Whatever the second bid was, this might be the point in negotiations where Tony tells them the asking price (20million), or he may just let them carry on throwing darts at the board until the window closes. Depends whether he wants 20 million or prefers them not to buy a centre back.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There has been a lot of protest. A lot. But it doesn't get much coverage, for reasons that should be obvious. The Saudi's buying Newcastle is not the worst thing they've done - not by a long long way. But it is an opportunity to raise awareness and draw attention to all their real crimes. Which is why the likes of Howe and the Newscastle supporters, by turning a blind eye and celebrating the takeover are helping to make the sportswashing effective. And thus become complicit in the bigger crimes.

Just like Man City’s ownership has raised awareness and wide spread condemnation of the UAE’s shadowy human rights records?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Somebody on twitter with no links to Dan Burn, his agent, BHAFC or NUFC says the second bid was 10million (plus addons) and it was rejected. Whatever the second bid was, this might be the point in negotiations where Tony tells them the asking price (20million), or he may just let them carry on throwing darts at the board until the window closes. Depends whether he wants 20 million or prefers them not to buy a centre back.

Whatever is on Twitter is, by definition, baseless rubbish believed by tw*ts. Don't believe a single word of the story. You might be right about the way the bidding process is proceeding/will proceed, but I would suggest substituting £15M for £20M would be a more realistic guess.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Whatever is on Twitter is, by definition, baseless rubbish believed by tw*ts. Don't believe a single word of the story. You might be right about the way the bidding process is proceeding/will proceed, but I would suggest substituting £15M for £20M would be a more realistic guess.

I've said 20 million from the start and I'm sticking to it:D

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'm not a fan of the arms sales either to be honest :shrug:

I'm sure nobody is when looking at the sick Saudia regime and what theyre doing in Yemen, but there are bigger geopolitcal issues in the region.

Most everyone probably cannot stand Saudia but the fact is they are one of the two main powers in the middle east, the other Iran, who are the largest state sponsor of terrorism in the ME, intent on building a nuclear bomb and luzzing it at Israel, a key western ally and Iran are supported and backed by Russia.

Saudia is the wests proxy to counter the bigger threat of Russian proxy Iran, who the west and especially Israel fears more than Saudia human rights abuses.

That is the ugly truth of western government perspectives.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

To add: carbon emissions-pumping, and resisting reduction in said emissions.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Just like Man City’s ownership has raised awareness and wide spread condemnation of the UAE’s shadowy human rights records?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here