Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My heart bleeds.

The greedy f*cker took the money. Now he has to live with the consequences, which includes, quite rightly being asked how he feels about working for murderers.

Yep he's made his bed, as will others who go there. Maybe it will calm down, no one seems to mention the human rights violations of the UAE with regard to Man City anymore...

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
No, I post with some sympathy to his predicament, towing the company line. Can't be easy as I doubt he needed the distraction of all these challenging questions and it puts their relationship with the Saudis bang in the spot light for all the players, staff and potential signings.

Sympathy! Towing the company line. Seriously? Him and every player signing for that club should be well aware of what they’re buying into. Sympathy my arse.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sympathy! Towing the company line. Seriously? Him and every player signing for that club should be well aware of what they’re buying into. Sympathy my arse.

You’re asking individuals to take a stand on their careers when the football authorities didn’t give a shit? I find it hard to take an individual to task when we sell billions in arms to the Saudis, have various nefarious political donations, our FA not prepared to take a stand and it falls on the shoulders of out of work Eddie Howe to make the stand?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Twitter seems to think BDB is on his way.

And no, I am too old to link it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Chronicle doesn’t seem so sure….

Brighton playing hardball on Dan Burn - and the centre-back conundrum

Newcastle have tried a couple of times in this window to sign the 6ft 7in Geordie but the Seagulls have rejected their advances.

The last bid stood at £7million with Brighton briefing journalists off record that it has been snubbed.

There's no doubt that the 29-year-old would be keen to talk to United and his arrival would place question marks over a number of the centre-backs already at the club.

Fabian Schar has been linked with Bordeaux over the window but had an outstanding game against Leeds last weekend.

And Jamaal Lascelles, as club captain, would surely survive any round of cuts.

Ciaran Clark, Federico Fernandez and Emil Krafth are the other defenders Newcastle could look at to balance the squad out.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spo.../newcastle-united-transfer-note-book-22915609

Also…..

[tweet]1487350270946328580[/tweet]

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
You’re asking individuals to take a stand on their careers when the football authorities didn’t give a shit? I find it hard to take an individual to task when we sell billions in arms to the Saudis, have various nefarious political donations, our FA not prepared to take a stand and it falls on the shoulders of out of work Eddie Howe to make the stand?

Indeed, and it’s probably expecting too much for any manager, player or technical director to make a Colin Kaepernick style stand on this. Howe is not a stupid guy, has a pretty healthy bank balance I’d imagine, would have got back into the game at some point either way, but it’s his decision ultimately, and yes, a difficult, if bloody carrot to turn down.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008

All i see on twitter is the usual scatter gun of baseless opinions. Some saying he's going, some saying he's staying. I wouldnt bother with it all, so many people pretending to be a football agent/journalist.

I suspect Dan Burn is one of many on Newcastle's list, so currently nobody has any idea if a deal will actually go through.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Twitter is no doubt full of silly, deluded idiots who think that if Newcastle want a Brighton player, the player will jump and Brighton will roll over for the big club.

See under: Ben White to Leeds.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

After meeting the owners, he's quoted in the Guardian as saying:

“It was a great experience to hear his thoughts on the club and his vision and what the future looks like. It was a motivational and inspirational talk based on collective aims and collective team spirit. We were all very impressed with what was said and the players left very enthused. A lot of people from the PIF have been here as well so it’s been a very good experience to bring everyone closer together.”

Which rings to me of Kent Brockman being the first to welcome our insect overlords. Regardless of the FA's pathetic stance, he is taking blood money, helping sportswash a regime that has questions to answer about murder and he should be thoroughly ashamed of himself.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Yes, two wrongs don't make a right.

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Just read the interview with Dan from the Chelsea programme. He talks a lot about growing up in Blyth where 99% of the people support Newcastle, how intense it is, how all the folk work all week to be able to go and see them on the Saturday. He grew up as a massive fan, worshipping Shearer. He also almost went there early on in his career but Fulham snapped him up first. So the pull must understandably be very strong for him. I hope he doesn't resent it if we turn down their offer, but he doesn't seem the type tbh. Hopefully he'd be happy to stay if it doesn't happen.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just read the interview with Dan from the Chelsea programme. He talks a lot about growing up in Blyth where 99% of the people support Newcastle, how intense it is, how all the folk work all week to be able to go and see them on the Saturday. He grew up as a massive fan, worshipping Shearer. He also almost went there early on in his career but Fulham snapped him up first. So the pull must understandably be very strong for him. I hope he doesn't resent it if we turn down their offer, but he doesn't seem the type tbh. Hopefully he'd be happy to stay if it doesn't happen.

I understand he would be

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Indeed, and it’s probably expecting too much for any manager, player or technical director to make a Colin Kaepernick style stand on this. Howe is not a stupid guy, has a pretty healthy bank balance I’d imagine, would have got back into the game at some point either way, but it’s his decision ultimately, and yes, a difficult, if bloody carrot to turn down.

It's worth mentioning that Howe has a long track record of taking and spending the petrochemical dollar.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I wouldn't be surprised if the club have told him the fee they want and that if the Saudis meet that he can go. Perfectly reasonable. Seems they are no where near that yet. He's got his head screwed on and as much as he would want to play for his boyhood team he knows we aren't going to let him go cheaply just to accommodate that.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
After meeting the owners, he's quoted in the Guardian as saying:

“It was a great experience to hear his thoughts on the club and his vision and what the future looks like. It was a motivational and inspirational talk based on collective aims and collective team spirit. We were all very impressed with what was said and the players left very enthused. A lot of people from the PIF have been here as well so it’s been a very good experience to bring everyone closer together.”

Which rings to me of Kent Brockman being the first to welcome our insect overlords. Regardless of the FA's pathetic stance, he is taking blood money, helping sportswash a regime that has questions to answer about murder and he should be thoroughly ashamed of himself.

Youre barking up the wrong tree, as has been said Howe is just a football manager, who has been offered a job, whilst out of work, to manage a big football club. Its the FA and PL who are the arbiters of who owns a football club and wether they pass the fit and proper persons test, not Eddie Howe's.

Newcastle United were previously managed by a repugnant idiot, whose company abused working regs. Was that Steve Bruce fault?

Lets say Eddie Howe buys into your worldview, walks out of a football managers job, because of the ultimate owner of PIF being Bin Salman... then what? does a PL club, in the league on merit remain managerless to appease? When should fans stop attending? Players go on Strike? Ref's refuse to ref their games?

ire against Howe is daft. He has nothing to do with any of it, the authorities made the decision to allow PIF, he is just a manager of a NE football club, he wasnt the first and he wont be its last.

Blame the FA and PL. Will you stop watching PL games in protest as they allowed this to happen?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wouldn't be surprised if the club have told him the fee they want and that if the Saudis meet that he can go. Perfectly reasonable. Seems they are no where near that yet. He's got his head screwed on and as much as he would want to play for his boyhood team he knows we aren't going to let him go cheaply just to accommodate that.
That is certainly what I would hope is the case.

Last edited:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Youre barking up the wrong tree, as has been said Howe is just a football manager, who has been offered a job, whilst out of work, to manage a big football club. Its the FA and PL who are the arbiters of who owns a football club and wether they pass the fit and proper persons test, not Eddie Howe's.

Newcastle United were previously managed by a repugnant idiot, whose company abused working regs. Was that Steve Bruce fault?

Lets say Eddie Howe buys into your worldview, walks out of a football managers job, because of the ultimate owner of PIF being Bin Salman... then what? does a PL club, in the league on merit remain managerless to appease? When should fans stop attending? Players go on Strike? Ref's refuse to ref their games?

ire against Howe is daft. He has nothing to do with any of it, the authorities made the decision to allow PIF, he is just a manager of a NE football club, he wasnt the first and he wont be its last.

Blame the FA and PL. Will you stop watching PL games in protest as they allowed this to happen?

He has taken blood money so is culpable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here