Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Means he’ll get more money when he gets fired when their real manager comes in for next season :lolol:

Don't.

I think I'm going to have to take out an insurance bet, to go along with my tenner on us going down this season, on Potter becoming the next tight-lipped and ashen-faced Toon supremo :facepalm:

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Which means that it won't be possible to unsettle our players in the interim.

I would be completely astonished, however, if Newcastle don't now make massive play for Potter in the summer.

The #Potterout contingent must be rubbing their tiny shrivelled hands together at the prospect.

Nah, I don't reckon they will go for Potter, he's far to sensible, not a big enough name to attract the galacticos they will wan to buy and without the Champions league experience they will be looking for in the medium term, with an expectation of becoming top 4.

I'd guess more likely they'd try for a Pochetinno or could they even be pursuaded to try and get Benitez back? This summer I see no threat of them trying for Potter, other clubs maybe but not Riyadh Rovers.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nah, I don't reckon they will go for Potter, he's far to sensible, not a big enough name to attract the galacticos they will wan to buy and without the Champions league experience they will be looking for in the medium term, with an expectation of becoming top 4.

I'd guess more likely they'd try for a Pochetinno or could they even be pursuaded to try and get Benitez back? This summer I see no threat of them trying for Potter, other clubs maybe but not Riyadh Rovers.

Yes but they LOVE Brighton now, bonny lad, what with our letting their local hero return to fulfill his boyhood dreams, and now graciously letting our Supreme Dalek join their club as Director of Everything. Potter will complete the set, canny lad, and howay they will go, with a British Dream Team at the helm. :rolleyes:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
No evidence, but just thinking out loud: did that limp performance at Tottenham play any part in making up Ashworth’s mind? Coincidental timing of the announcement? Or did he think that our project wasn’t going anywhere fast enough for him?

If he thought that was shit, he won’t last long at Newcastle!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Very interesting that Cashworth has been held to his notice period meaning compensation wasn't agreed.

A contrast with the ease of the Dan Burn transfer.

One deal was clearly done the right way and the other not so much.

Tony very much laying down a marker that if anyone wants to take Potter they will need to do it very much by the book - and that we won't roll over like mugs.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Very interesting that Cashworth has been held to his notice period meaning compensation wasn't agreed.

Tony very much laying down a marker that if anyone wants to take Potter they will need to do it very much by the book - and that we won't roll over like mugs.

Brighton let Ashworth talk to Newcastle. TB & PB thought we had enough to convince him to stay. The (extreme) disappointment must be about the conversations regarding why he is taking an alternative route and what his motivations are for doing so - hence the clear communication re: contractual adherence. It’ll also reflect the relationship that the the senior management has/had and the realisation that your fears of letting another state/oligarch backed club into the arena is only going to make navigating the waters toward the top of the PL even more difficult for #teamslikebrighton. Bloom is pissed off. Never forget, it’s intensely personal for him (like it is for any fan) but he’s £300+ million into this project to boot.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013

It is interesting that compensation presumably wasn't agreed. Especially as in Naylor's words. "Newcastle have acted in exemplary fashion." So no suggestion they haven't played by the book.

I think Bloom's just furious with Ashworth walking out on him, personally.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Didn’t Burn say he would be happy to go and equally happy to stay and said he would leave it for the club to decide?

Yes, but I think that was about whether he could talk to Newcastle in the first place. When it was decided he could, he went.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bloom’s anger and even feeling of betrayal possibly is not masked that well is it?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19906544.brighton-stand-now-dan-ashworth-resigned/

Brian Owen suggests a tough stance so as not to benefit a rival

Wasn't there around 6 months from it being announced Ashworth was leaving his role with the FA to him actually starting with us while he served his notice period for that role? It's highly likely the notice period in his contract with us was similar, but rather than serving the notice period as an aid to transitioning this job here to another person we've put him on gardening leave to protect our club as much as possible as he is going to a Premier League rival.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
It is interesting that compensation presumably wasn't agreed. Especially as in Naylor's words. "Newcastle have acted in exemplary fashion." So no suggestion they haven't played by the book.

I think Bloom's just furious with Ashworth walking out on him, personally.

Ashworth resigned. There is no compensation unless the Albion (for example) say it’s £x million and he can leave now. It appears however that we will also act in an exemplary fashion and point out to Newcastle, as we are entitled to do, that DA must fulfil the terms of the full duration of his contract including any notice period.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why do people think any compensation is involved? Presumably Ashworth is an employee.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Why do people think any compensation is involved? Presumably Ashworth is an employee.
From David Ornstein in the Athletic when the approach was made:

Ashworth joined the Sussex-based side after six years with the Football Association and is on a rolling contract at the Amex Stadium, meaning that if Newcastle make him their first-choice target and he favours a switch to St James’ Park, then the two teams will need to negotiate a settlement.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Depends on the contract…..there could be a clause that allows an employee to effectively ‘buy out’ their notice period for an amount of compensation so they don’t have to wait, but if that’s the case here it’s obviously one that need the current the employer’s agreement. We had them in some locations - was a right pain as they didn’t need agreement so we’d have people resign and basically leave immediately as their new employer would pay the buy-out (worked both ways obviously as we would do the same).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Bloom’s anger and even feeling of betrayal possibly is not masked that well is it?

In the club statement, Albion chairman Tony Bloom said: “We are extremely disappointed that Dan will no longer be our technical director.
I can only hope he crashes his Raleigh Chopper on the A1M and staggers away with a massive road rash on his goolies ”

No, no it's not.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
No evidence, but just thinking out loud: did that limp performance at Tottenham play any part in making up Ashworth’s mind? Coincidental timing of the announcement? Or did he think that our project wasn’t going anywhere fast enough for him?

Ashworth would have almost certainly resigned some time ago.

Before accepting it, Bloom will have tried to talk him around.

And then there would have been a release/compensation discussion between the clubs and their laywers (which has ultimately broken down), which would have lasted for days, possibly weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here