Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
That would be just silly.

If they wanted to do that sort of thing, they might have given it to charity, or diverted it on bloc to Albion in te Community. But the club was only reacting to what the player wanted to do.

I agree that “would be just silly” - no sillier though than all the comments on this thread that state that DA is taking “blood money” by going to Newcastle.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Maybe Weir doesn't have the same expertise as DA but he'll have worked closely with him and understand his plans and maybe know some of his contacts. Eg the contacts that have been scouting South American talent. It will also mean that Weir can start straight away building these key relationships while DA is on garden leave. Bring someone else in with experience and they will take some time to bed in and may have a notice period themselves.

Winstanley was here before Ashworth & Weir… I wonder what his thoughts on it all are

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I agree that “would be just silly” - no sillier though than all the comments on this thread that state that DA is taking “blood money” by going to Newcastle.

It's pretty simple.

Whenever we take money FROM a bad owner it's a slug of money they don't have any more.

Ashworth will be working to make a disgusting regime even more filthy money.

Not hard to understand.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
It's pretty simple.

Whenever we take money FROM a bad owner it's a slug of money they don't have any more.

Ashworth will be working to make a disgusting regime even more filthy money.

Not hard to understand.

I thought one of the accusations was that DA was only going for the money - in that case isn’t he doing exactly as you say, taking money FROM a bad owner - just a matter of scale.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I thought one of the accusations was that DA was only going for the money - in that case isn’t he doing exactly as you say, taking money FROM a bad owner - just a matter of scale.

If his remit is to lose them all their money then I'm all for it.

Godspeed, Agent Ashworth.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He’d be in breach of his contract and we could take disciplinary action. Of course I get your point that communication could and probably will take place. However, he would need to be careful that nothing could be traced back to him.

Which means that it won't be possible to unsettle our players in the interim.

I would be completely astonished, however, if Newcastle don't now make massive play for Potter in the summer.

The #Potterout contingent must be rubbing their tiny shrivelled hands together at the prospect.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

I would be completely astonished, however, if Newcastle don't now make massive play for Potter in the summer.

The #Potterout contingent must be rubbing their tiny shrivelled hands together at the prospect.
Tony will know this. I'm sure he already has a plan.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013

They just gave a 2 and a half year contract to a young coach who is well thought of having over achieved for a few years at a small club.

Why would they make a massive play for a different young coach in the summer?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I keep hearing the Brighton project is not finished yet, and that's why people are disappointed with DA leaving.
The club is currently in 9th position in the Premier League, so I'm not sure how much more progress the club can make in the next few years.
Maybe DA thinks like this as well ?
It can make a lot more progress with the right investment and I guess that will always be the stumbling block as we don’t have Oil billions to buy players with. This season is a slight improvement on last season as we’ve turned some of the losses into draws. The worrying time will be when we sell the best players and don’t replace them with players of equal quality.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Again, I disagree.

They've come after him once and he's said no. Presumably in the summer he'll be looking at either the same offer but for a Championship team or for trying to work with Ashworth again, sans Bloom and Barber and trying to integrate several £40-£80 million galacticos with a broken youth system and the Longstaff brothers.

Maybe he doesn't want to move his wife and kids to the other end of the country (again). Maybe he doesn't like the owners. Maybe - and this'll be a kick in the teeth - he'll have MORE freedom and creative licence under the new bloke.

But, if it happens, the club is bigger than either Dan Ashworth or Graham Potter and, I suspect, we'll live.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
That would be just silly.

If they wanted to do that sort of thing, they might have given it to charity, or diverted it on bloc to Albion in te Community. But the club was only reacting to what the player wanted to do.
Didn’t Burn say he would be happy to go and equally happy to stay and said he would leave it for the club to decide?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They just gave a 2 and a half year contract to a young coach who is well thought of having over achieved for a few years at a small club.

Why would they make a massive play for a different young coach in the summer?

Apologies - I was under the impression that Eddie had a contract only till the end of the season. I assume I am mistaken.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
No, I just thought it a bit of an odd suggestion to think that since day 1 the club had been planning for a man to leave 3 years into a 5 year project.

Always a Plan B. The unexpected is expected.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I think a couple of posts from [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] were quite telling regarding Ashworth's influence on selection and squad make up. It might just be that Gpott gets on far better with the successor. Let's see.

The biggest risk to us is Ashworth stealing the plan and culture and giving it to owners who don't seem to know the difference between a free kick and a sausage. The hope there is that their hubris dilutes it utterly.

I can't see Smug Eddie lasting to the end of the calendar year. If they go down he's toast. If they don't they'll have bribed some big name to take over by December.

I am not sure this is really an issue he can steal all the procedures and processes he wants but the real difference is Tony Bloom which is no big secret and I suspect they wont be trying to recruit him.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The club has £13m of tainted money as you put it sitting in the bank account how is that any different to Ashworth having his fingers in the same pie?

Well I guess we could have let BDB go to the club of his dreams for nothing. Not sure if there was much of a choice as far as TB is concerned.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
No evidence, but just thinking out loud: did that limp performance at Tottenham play any part in making up Ashworth’s mind? Coincidental timing of the announcement? Or did he think that our project wasn’t going anywhere fast enough for him?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here