Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Good luck to him,he was never going to stay for life.He has built a framework to follow however.I would be very surprised if Weir didn’t get the job,with a new (up and coming )assistant brought in.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Gardening leave is not all it’s cracked up to be. He will have to report into Barber if required, so if he wants a holiday he’ll have to book it like any other employee.
If we have tied him into 6 months garden leave we are potentially giving up 6 months compensation from Newcastle but it’s probably worth it to have him out of doing that job for that period.

It sounds like Weir will be given the job, based on the statement. You very rarely say something as bold as the statement did and then not appoint that person. The moment he got the assistant role you felt that DA was off and this was contingency/ hand over of duties. The handover taking place this week.

So not the greatest outcome but hopefully will protect our summer transfer targets.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
So how is 'Gardening League' policed?

Shirley Cashworth is now just working from home, with The Horse punchers informally running decisions past him, instead of walking into his office.

Doubt it very much. He will be kept very much at arm’s length but will be expected to contribute IF, and only IF, there is an important question that he alone will know the answer to.

In the meantime, we are preventing him from contributing anything to a major rival. I would imagine it would be described as good business practice.

I can remember many (35?) years ago, the UK and USA Sales Manager where I was working at the time came in one Monday morning and announced to the Managing Director that he was leaving to go to one of the Company’s principal rivals. He was allowed to go back to his desk under strict supervision to pick up his personal effects and then marched straight out of the building to go on gardening leave. For some reason, he was surprised.:ffsparr:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Or Paul Barber :D Interestingly would you know off hand the names of any other PL clubs CEO? He certainly likes to make himself relevant even to the point of other clubs fans know who he is. A conversation that cropped up over the weekend.

Daniel Levy is pretty much CEO of Spuds and until recently Woodward at Manure. There are a few high profile chairman, Gold and Sullivan, Kenwright, until recently Ashley

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Gardening leave is not all it’s cracked up to be. He will have to report into Barber if required, so if he wants a holiday he’ll have to book it like any other employee.
If we have tied him into 6 months garden leave we are potentially giving up 6 months compensation from Newcastle but it’s probably worth it to have him out of doing that job for that period.

It sounds like Weir will be given the job, based on the statement. You very rarely say something as bold as the statement did and then not appoint that person. The moment he got the assistant role you felt that DA was off and this was contingency/ hand over of duties. The handover taking place this week.

So not the greatest outcome but hopefully will protect our summer transfer targets.

And if required to report to PB and he doesn’t, (claims sick or whatever), then what are the club going to do? Dock his holiday pay?

I wouldn’t be in the least bit surprised if he hasn’t already been in detailed discussions with Neŵcastle over systems he’d like to see put in place and there is nothing the club can do to stop further discussions with Newcastle outside of his normal working hours.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
It's a really interestingly-worded statement from the club. Complete guess-work, but this doesn't sound like an amicable parting. I think Tony feels very let down. The quid pro quo is holding Ashworth to his notice period (which MUST be longer than three months - using the word "extended" is slightly strange, and to me it points to something quite lengthy - at least six months, perhaps). It's also very strange how this has taken so long to come to fruition.....seems like there's been a month or so of negotiating (which could have included TB putting more money on the table and/or Ashworth indicating he was going to stay, but then deciding to leave??). It'll be interesting to see what announcement Newcastle make (which should provide the timescales, and hence the notice period info). Odd, too, to include the bit about continuing to report to PB during his gardening leave....sounds like the club has made it clear that they absolutely expect Ashworth to respect the terms of his contract, and if PB thinks he's starting to work for Newcastle, he'll get him to come into the office and sit around doing nothing!!

Agree, as I said earlier, I think TB is p1ssed at DA if you read his statement which says he is "extremely disappointed" at his departure. Then at the end just about manages to grind out between clenched teeth "all the best for you and your family!"

We don't know what has gone on behind the scenes but you can imagine the Saudi's have come at Tony waving a fist full off ££s saying that if you let him leave straight away we will give you mega bucks to buy him out of his contract so he can start with us immediatly. TB response would have been "p1ss off, your'e having a laugh. Poach him I'll make him do every day of his 'extended' gardening leave for being an a-hole."

They are learning, in football, they can't just go splashing the cash around to get what they want and that not everyone will fall at their feet and bootlick.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Genuinely didn’t get the role……

But, it has undoubtedly worked and Ashworth was good at it - shame to lose him, but good luck…..

Big shoes to fill.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
And if required to report to PB and he doesn’t, (claims sick or whatever), then what are the club going to do? Dock his holiday pay?

I wouldn’t be in the least bit surprised if he hasn’t already been in detailed discussions with Neŵcastle over systems he’d like to see put in place and there is nothing the club can do to stop further discussions with Newcastle outside of his normal working hours.

He’d be in breach of his contract and we could take disciplinary action. Of course I get your point that communication could and probably will take place. However, he would need to be careful that nothing could be traced back to him.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

They can make it as difficult for him/them as possible, even go to court if they had any evidence that he was doing anything.

But if nothing else, they can prevent him just going there and getting on with it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Gardening leave is something the employer puts in contracts to protect information/fellow employees leaking away to new employer.

Your alternative suggestion would very probably be BHA breaching his contract by not allowing him to do the work he is contracted to do which would likely allow him to resign and find alternative employment

Gardening leave is rarely in contracts (I've never seen it) - in my experience it's simply the term for not letting someone formally leave before their notice period is up, but not asking them to work in the meantime. It's normally used in redundancy situations (so you essentially remain employed and keep all your benefits a bit longer) or, as in this case, when someone has resigned and is going to the competition so you (perfectly legally) make them and their new employers wait as long as possible. I would bet this has dragged out because a) Tony initially would have counter-offered and then b) Ashworth has been trying to negotiate an exit as soon as he can (which the club have refused - at significant cost)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
A few thoughts:

1. If TB is the businessman we all think he is, then he will have planned for this. I assume he has a list of possible replacements for every key position at the club.

2. It's disappointing that Ashworth has decided to take a job that will not provide as much of a professional challenge or, I imagine, as much job satisfaction. So you get to spend almost unlimited wealth and if you get a signing wrong you just make a more expensive one. How interesting.

3. It's disappointing that he's taken tainted money. Okay, many of us would take a job for more dosh, but working for people who murder journqalists and bomb hospitals? No thanks. He's shown his true colours.

4. Everyone is replaceable. Okay, we hear he's done a great job. And it's true, look at all the fantastic strikers we've signed on his watch. Oh, wait ...

5. With Newcastle's likely summer budget, they may well be aiming a little higher than our players.

Last edited:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
He’d be in breach of his contract and we could take disciplinary action. Of course I get your point that communication could and probably will take place. However, he would need to be careful that nothing could be traced back to him.

Disciplinary action? What are they going to do, sack him?

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
I'm sure somebody has already mentioned David Weirs promotion Which seemed to coincide with the DA to Toon speculation Seems like next man up to me
Or am I merely repeating that which been said previously
( I ve not read all of this thread btw )

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm sure somebody has already mentioned David Weirs promotion Which seemed to coincide with the DA to Toon speculation Seems like next man up to me
Or am I merely repeating that which been said previously
( I ve not read all of this thread btw )

Yes I think it was not coincidental. If Weir does take it permanently then I don’t believe the ‘we always have a succession plan stuff’

If Weir was that important he wouldn’t have just been a ‘Loans Manager’ up until recently - so someone will come in as DoF / TD - with Weir staying assistant you’d think

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
A few thoughts:

1. If TB is the businessman we all think he is, then he will have planned for this. I assume he has a list of possible replacements for every key position at the club.

2. It's disappointing that Ashworth has decided to take a job that will not provide as much of a professional challenge or, I imagine, as much job satisfaction. So you get to spend almost unlimited wealth and if you get a signing wrong you just make a more expensive one. How interesting.

3. It's disappointing that he's taken tainted money. Okay, many of us would take a job for more dosh, but working for people who murder journqalists and bomb hospitals? No thanks. He's shown his true colours.

4. Everyone is replaceable. Okay, we hear he's done a great job. And it's true, look at all the fantastic strikers we've signed on his watch. Oh, wait ...

5. With Newcastle's likely summer budget, they may well be aiming a little higher than our players.
The club has £13m of tainted money as you put it sitting in the bank account how is that any different to Ashworth having his fingers in the same pie?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It is more concerning that a PL rival will have detailed knowledge of the inner workings of our club, than the actual loss of Dan Ashworth's services. I also feel that well respected individuals within the game like him and Eddie Howe going to Newcastle adds another layer of respectability to the sportswashing. Disappointing all round.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The club has £13m of tainted money as you put it sitting in the bank account how is that any different to Ashworth having his fingers in the same pie?

No one at BHAFC is not now able to have a public opinion on Saudi other than a positive one. I would be happier if we just did not deal with them at all, but selling a player is not the same as selling yourself.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes I think it was not coincidental. If Weir does take it permanently then I don’t believe the ‘we always have a succession plan stuff’

If Weir was that important he wouldn’t have just been a ‘Loans Manager’ up until recently - so someone will come in as DoF / TD - with Weir staying assistant you’d think

You know a succession plan often includes internal candidates right ? Maybe the plan all along was for Weir to succeed Ashworth and he’s been groomed for it……hence what appears to be extensive efforts made to stop him going to Everton.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You know a succession plan often includes internal candidates right ? Maybe the plan all along was for Weir to succeed Ashworth and he’s been groomed for it……hence what appears to be extensive efforts made to stop him going to Everton.

Maybe - but it’s a hell of a jump and he was only made assistant after Ashworth was approached by Newcastle …

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I agree. I'm disappointed that any club would sell a player to the Saudis, let alone us.

Someone (not me) could claim that we were showing our love for BDB by letting him go back to his boyhood club, and so it is slightly different. But it would be bs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here