Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Gardening leave is great if you can get it when you're not rushing into a new job - but not so much if you've got a new job to go to that you've been headhunted for.............Ashworth will undoubtedly have tried to get an early release :lol::lol:

Sure you're right, but I doubt DA will sit on his backside at home for x months. Even if he's not allowed to "Officially" start, I bet unofficially he will start.... reading, fact finding, reviewing, planning etc

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sure you're right, but I doubt DA will sit on his backside at home for x months. Even if he's not allowed to "Officially" start, I bet unofficially he will start.... reading, fact finding, reviewing, planning etc

....probably (he'll have been doing that for weeks anyway)

I also think the club's statement is BHA's way of saying to the football world "don't deal with Ashworth for some time". I can imagine the content of that announcement has been noted in board rooms around the country, and if Ashworth tries to start talking to any other club (eg: about future transfers) it'll make its way back to TB and PB. Ashworth will have to play by the rules....which will probably be immensely frustrating for him (and hopefully Newcastle, too).

....exactly right.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I also think the club's statement is BHA's way of saying to the football world "don't deal with Ashworth for some time". I can imagine the content of that announcement has been noted in board rooms around the country, and if Ashworth tries to start talking to any other club (eg: about future transfers) it'll make its way back to TB and PB. Ashworth will have to play by the rules....which will probably be immensely frustrating for him (and hopefully Newcastle, too).

I reckon youre right Jim, but still, there's nothing that can be done now until the summer window opens on the transfer front anyway. Newcastle will have to try and survive with what they have. If the gardening leave is 3 months, he'll be there before summer. If its 6 months, that would be mid August which would be interesting!

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I still find it pretty sad that individuals just take the Saudi Shilling.

We must be one of, if not the best, run clubs in the country. Stable owner, progressive manager, steadily improving league positions. I get the money bit and Newcastle do have a very strong fanbase but surely job satisfaction has to come in somewhere.

I'm sure GP has had approaches from shitshow clubs looking for a new manager but at the moment anyway he seems to be taking a more pragmatic approach.

Very disappointed in Ashworth with this. Its one of those where he gets what he deserves for me.

Agree. It won't be hard to better that shambles of a club on and off the pitch and if someone else comes along who is better or a bigger name they'll get rid. Dan CASHworth exactly as another poster has said. We're all complicit in supporting bad regimes in some small way but to work directly for them. No thanks.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Sadly you are right 100%.

If DA is allowed to set things up from scratch exactly how he wants to, Newcastle will have a fantastic set up (training/medical facilities and recruitment team) within isay 3 years. Thats what he did at St Georges Park and he is good enough to do it again.

If Newcastle appont an experienced top quality CEO and gives him/her free reign to run the club/marketing operations, the Saudis can just sit back and sadly sports wash their money.

…….. top quality CEO? But they’ve got Amanda Staveley!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
…….. top quality CEO? But they’ve got Amanda Staveley!

9CEB9325-84F5-4975-8966-D7D25EA17E37_4_5005_c.jpeg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
All’s fair in love, war and the £££££££ EPL.

Ashworth’s knowledge of transfer gems/targets, will now be the Saudis.

Anyone here still have respect or a secret liking of Chelski, PSG or Citeh? They set the model, Wenger nearly a lone voice in being a strong critic of their “financial doping” all those years ago …. he was laughed at.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Probably take that long to find somewhere to live.

Jumped at the option to take “gardening leave” - getting paid for a few months between jobs is always useful. Much harder if an employer insists you serve out your notice but takes away all your privileges and responsibilities so you are essentially sat at an empty desk all day with nothing to do.

Gardening leave is something the employer puts in contracts to protect information/fellow employees leaking away to new employer.

Your alternative suggestion would very probably be BHA breaching his contract by not allowing him to do the work he is contracted to do which would likely allow him to resign and find alternative employment

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Or Paul Barber :D Interestingly would you know off hand the names of any other PL clubs CEO? He certainly likes to make himself relevant even to the point of other clubs fans know who he is. A conversation that cropped up over the weekend.

Can't be Barber himself, the posts are too short and not patronising enough, interesting that the Chailey Jems join date is the month Barber started here though.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Yup, no problem with him leaving but we see him in court if any breaches of his contractual conditions around garden leave.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Or Paul Barber :D Interestingly would you know off hand the names of any other PL clubs CEO? He certainly likes to make himself relevant even to the point of other clubs fans know who he is. A conversation that cropped up over the weekend.

Barbers first appointment when he joined, agentjem

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So how is 'Gardening League' policed?

Shirley Cashworth is now just working from home, with The Horse punchers informally running decisions past him, instead of walking into his office.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I hope he fu**s up and comes back begging for his job back, the mercenary w*****r.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here