Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dairy Farming in the UK gradually being destroyed...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I've got to say that, not unlike the micropub thread, this thread offers me a state of hope for the future, and puts a small smile on my face - that not everyone has to be a slave to the major retailers. I've long been a (silent) advocate of 'buy local', and what Piltdown Man (and others) is doing only makes me want to wish them every success for the future.

I think it's something which many Brighton fans appreciate on a simple level - e.g. the popularity of Harvey's and Piglet's Pantry at the stadium, or those who are growing their own vegetables.

Believe me, if I had need of half a pig, I would happily purchase one from you. Barbecued pork chips, ribs and sausages. Oh yes. All that's missing is... summer. As it is, I look forward to ordering his products 'from the gate' soon.

If you need any help with promotional literature or design work, let me know. :)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It was state intervention and guaranteed prices that transformed the British farming industry after WW1 (and even more after WW2). Without it, we would be stuck with a countryside fit for no-one and be totally dependent on imported produce.

We could well be returning to that state.

The "market economics" that some posters are talking about is nothing more than the short-term profiteering of the powerful major retailers. They have as much interest in the public good as the bankers do.

Going beyond the milk issue the problem with a lot of farming as in a lot of industry the farmers are not playing on a level field. The pig industry is dominated by those that until this year have been allowed to rear the pigs in conditions that a far less restrictive than ours. All EU countries now have to comply with regulations similar to ours. This will see supermarket prices rise, with many farms on the continent unable to comply and so going to the wall (or more likely get away with it).

We need to re-educate the housewife to appreciate that meat produced from animals living in better conditions produces a far superior product. Unfortunately when times are hard people quickly forget the better products and buy cheap, the organic market is dying for example.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think all the farmers want is a far price for the milk they produce that's all. These supermarkets act like the f**g mafia around producers. "If you sell a drop to someone else, we won't buy from you anymore" knowing full well these dairy farmers won't do this.

The supermarkets have a lot to answer for at the end of the day. Many small businesses have been driven to the wall because of their dominance. They have killed the high street. I remember even in peacehaven we used to have a butchers, bakers, fruit and veg store all gone.

These small businesses still seem to survive in France, I don't know how they do it but they do.

because the french still give a shit about the quality of their food........they ain't hung up on micky d's,kfc.......burger king and spud-u-f***ing-like.

For once Sydney, I completely agree with you. Our Gaelic friends over the water have a far greater passion for buying fresh quality food. You can go to any village, town in France and get gorgeous freshly made croissants or pastries as well as locally produce cheeses and meats etc. Unless you are in particularly affluent areas in England, we simply don't seem to care enough to sustain small shops.

The French believe we only have toast in this country because our bread is shit - to be honest, compared to theirs they have a point. Hovis anyone!!??

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The French believe we only have toast in this country because our bread is shit - to be honest, compared to theirs they have a point. Hovis anyone!!??

That is amusing - but our bread is great. Most places have still got a local bakers haven't they ? In Steyning we have got the Model Bakery, and an outlet of Truffles. And the monthly Farmers Market brings two additional bakers in.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I've got to say that, not unlike the micropub thread, this thread offers me a state of hope for the future, and puts a small smile on my face - that not everyone has to be a slave to the major retailers.

the thing is, the differences between these two highlights to me why i care about one and rather "meh" about the other. Beers are wonderfull in their range of subtle and not so subtle differences. I can tell the difference between a Harveys Best, a Dark Star Hophead, a Grolsch and a Budvar. Milk is Milk, aside from three flavors of skimmed, semi and full fat. for some things there is just nothing to get wound up about, milk is one of them.

one might well be able to distinguish between cornfed and battery chicken, or other meats. however the average housewife isnt bothered and probably going to buy a chicken kiev/escalope or pour a tomato sauce over and throw in the oven for 30 minutes eitherway. its not about re-education its deeper rooted in society and culture, its a north-european thing to see food more as functional.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That is amusing - but our bread is great. Most places have still got a local bakers haven't they ? In Steyning we have got the Model Bakery, and an outlet of Truffles. And the monthly Farmers Market brings two additional bakers in.

I think Steyning would most definitely come under my caveat of 'affluent' areas of England do sustain small shops. Generally our bread is awful. In isolation of course we have some terrific bakers, chef's etc. but in general overall terms, it's not great.

We live a a green, damp island with some of the best dairy farmland in Europe. But what do our farmers get? Well a lot are getting 14p a pint, yes get more for bottled water.... While the likes of Asda, Morrisons and Co-op (yes the co-op) continue to pay a pittance we have to ask ourselves how much longer British milk will be a staple of our diet.
Once the farmers are gone, they're gone and the countryside will never be the same again..

THIS:moo:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
There is always someone moaning. Any of us who make and sell a product would like to get more money for it, but there are market forces at work.

It's all too easy for a poor looking farmer with his wellies, wife and kids to appear on breakfast news and say it just don't make any sense to be a dairy farmer any more.

Well, wake up and smell the bacon ladies and gentleman..... Unless said dairy farmer is a complete and utter tool, it does make financial sense, just not as much financial sense as he would prefer.....

I cannot believe there is an individual who will work and not make any money or make a loss. Those of us in business know there are better and worse times, and we continue though the bad times as we can see a way out. If there was not a way out, we would shut up shop.

So, I agree some dairy farmers probably can't make a living - no doubt as they didn't modernise or move with the times.

These dairy farmers will go to the wall which is the long run will mean less competition and those left can hike their prices.

If I was a dairy farmer, I would invest in the best machinery, sell all I could to the supermarkets, maybe at a loss, ensure all other dairy farmers went out of business and then charge the price I wanted to.

I think they want to build a giant Factory Farm. I am not sure I mind as the cattle overgraze the downs and I don't drink milk and prefer other meats to Beef. I like Cheese though.

Cattle are suited to rich grasslands. The downs should be for sheep.

D

Deleted member 22389

For once Sydney, I completely agree with you. Our Gaelic friends over the water have a far greater passion for buying fresh quality food. You can go to any village, town in France and get gorgeous freshly made croissants or pastries as well as locally produce cheeses and meats etc. Unless you are in particularly affluent areas in England, we simply don't seem to care enough to sustain small shops.

I will say this, I have not had one rubbish meal all the times we have been to France, and I have been to France a lot. Even the most dingiest of places seem to serve quality food.

Like you say the French have a far greater passion for their food. They are fussy, which is good.

I think most of the takeaways that have opened up in this country, would be closed down in France due to poor quality, if I am going to be honest with you.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think Steyning would most definitely come under my caveat of 'affluent' areas of England do sustain small shops. Generally our bread is awful. In isolation of course we have some terrific bakers, chef's etc. but in general overall terms, it's not great.

Can't strictly agree.

If you're talking sliced bread, many don't come up to snuff.

But there are many decent bakers around - including (whisper it) Forfar's.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
nicko31 is right about losing farmers but the crisis within farming is worrying. Many of our farmers are well past retirement age and their children are just not interested in the long hours for a pittance. Farms are dying, going to farm equipment sales as I do, it really is frightening to see the extent of this.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

I agree about Steyning - but you do see bakers in most places. And big supermarkets have in-house bakers that do decent bread - the Tesco multi-grain is fine. But there is lots of very poor bread.

Having said that - I do quite like a toasted Sunbles white.

I just like bread.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
the thing is, the differences between these two highlights to me why i care about one and rather "meh" about the other. Beers are wonderfull in their range of subtle and not so subtle differences. I can tell the difference between a Harveys Best, a Dark Star Hophead, a Grolsch and a Budvar. Milk is Milk, aside from three flavors of skimmed, semi and full fat. for some things there is just nothing to get wound up about, milk is one of them.

It's not necessarily the taste or provenance of milk that overly concerns me. It's appreciating that everyone gets their fair share, and if supermarkets won't play ball, I'd consider getting it elsewhere. As it is, we have our milk delivered direct - but not every day.

We've invested, as a culture in this country, a certain amount of effort considering 'fair trade' as an ethical option. While it's not to same extent, the ideas behind it should be just as relevant to UK farmers.

Others, as you say, just don't care.

one might well be able to distinguish between cornfed and battery chicken, or other meats. however the average housewife isnt bothered and probably going to buy a chicken kiev/escalope or pour a tomato sauce over and throw in the oven for 30 minutes eitherway. its not about re-education its deeper rooted in society and culture, its a north-european thing to see food more as functional.

I take your point, but will skew it a bit. I'd say it's more a northern European thing to consider cost first, rather than functionality. And that is something which has only cropped up since food production was changed in the 1950s.

The upside is that our culture - at least certainly in the UK - will happily take other countries' cuisines and enjoy them for ourselves. It's easy enough to get Thai, Indian, Chinese, Moroccan, Turkish, Greek, Spanish, Italian - the list goes on - food here, and not bat an eyelid as to its origin. From there, cooking and experimentation in the kitchen can only be a good thing. As the old query goes - can you get a decent curry in France?

I know people squirm at them, but I do find some TV cooking shows a breath of fresh air to blow away old culinary prejudices. Some do irritate, mind.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

??? do i normally talk a load of old bowlarks then...???

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree with this. Food is a massive part of French culture in a way that it simply isn't here. Middle class England will pay over the odds for good quality local produce (and if you go looking for good quality British food and drink, you can certainly find it) but this isn't an indication that Britain has a love affair with food. For every person that appreciates Denby's wine estate, fine English cheese and quality local butchers, bakers and green grocers, there are about ten who will crack open a pack of turkey twizzlers from the freezer for their kids to eat after school and spend the difference in the pub.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

We have a lot of places that give the impression they have a bakery. Take our local Waitrose, its part baked off site and really just re-heated, its shite. In France they spend more of their money on food. Their breads is never dirt cheap but even the most improverised region of France still seems to maintain a local bakery.
Generally its about priorities, not wealth. People are happy to buy an expensive car, get Skysports and have an overseas holiday, but when its comes to chickens they go the 2 for a fiver deal!!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I actually heard yesterday that the French have legislation in place to prevent preservatives being put in bread. Basically it is believed that due to bread going stale quite quickly without preservatives, people need to go to their local bakers regularly, which promotes local business, and social cohesion i.e. the daily chat in the bakers.

Seat Stealer

Jun 23, 2012

Agreed. Bit ironic that Napoleon called US a nation of shop keepers.:ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here