Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dairy Farming in the UK gradually being destroyed...

invest in the best equipment when the cost of milk is 30p a pint wholesale.......then try and pay your loan off when the price drops to 16p a pint.........clueless mate.

Market economics - not clueless. If someone is willing to sell for 16p (which they obv are) then why would the supermarket buy at a higher price?

Maybe you would prefer the state intervenes and fixes a price? If this happened, there would be no investment, the consumer (you) would get poor value and we might as well paint a hammer and sickle on the union jack.

Many industries have come and gone over time - inefficient dairy farming will no doubt be another soon. Good on the boys who were clever enough to invest.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Market economics - not clueless. If someone is willing to sell for 16p (which they obv are) then why would the supermarket buy at a higher price?

Maybe you would prefer the state intervenes and fixes a price? If this happened, there would be no investment, the consumer (you) would get poor value and we might as well paint a hammer and sickle on the union jack.

Many industries have come and gone over time - inefficient dairy farming will no doubt be another soon. Good on the boys who were clever enough to invest.

capitalism vs communism then..........whilst the massive corporations screw the arse out of farmer jim..........thats the ticket eh...??.......fucksake the worm is definitely turning ,the playstation generation are here ....we are fukt.

D

Deleted member 22389

I think all the farmers want is a far price for the milk they produce that's all. These supermarkets act like the f**g mafia around producers. "If you sell a drop to someone else, we won't buy from you anymore" knowing full well these dairy farmers won't do this.

The supermarkets have a lot to answer for at the end of the day. Many small businesses have been driven to the wall because of their dominance. They have killed the high street. I remember even in peacehaven we used to have a butchers, bakers, fruit and veg store all gone.

These small businesses still seem to survive in France, I don't know how they do it but they do.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
These small businesses still seem to survive in France, I don't know how they do it.[/QUOTE]

because the french still give a shit about the quality of their food........they ain't hung up on micky d's,kfc.......burger king and spud-u-f***ing-like.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
These small businesses still seem to survive in France, I don't know how they do it but they do.

And in other countries. The harsh reality is that their joe public generally prefer quality over everything else. We are nation which loves a bargain and never sees the bigger picture or the false economy of cheaper goods. Pop into town at the weekend and you will see hundreds of people of all ages buying piles and piles of cheap tat and assorted rubbish from truly appalling shops. I'm not even sure they need half the crap they buy. Do people genuinly see shopping as a regular weekend pastime? It's very very different in mainland europe. It's sad but ultimately it is down to this country, as a whole we deserve everything we get whether good or bad.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly do you end up with, with 1/2 a butchered pig ??

Sorry do not know how to multi quote so to answer Big Gully and Hillian 1 and others you get

The leg, a very large joint usually for domestic customers this is cut into two, each joint approx 3kg, a good size for a family roast
The shoulder, effectively as above
Belly pork as a whole, 1/2, or strips all de-boned or can be done as ribs
Approx. 12/14 large boned chops
Steaks x 4 (v. nice)
Fillet- small but the most tender- a real treat but never enough!
Approx 5kg sausages I currently do Lincolnshire, Cumberland or plain.
Approx 2kg bacon burgers.

The sausages and burgers are 100% pork apart from seasoning with no added rubbish. Sausages are natural skins.

In brief

Shoulder joints x 2
Leg joints x 2
Chops x12/14
Steak x 4
Belly/ribs
Sausages 5kg
burgers 2kg ==================1/2 a pig

Obviously if ordered prior to butchering I can discuss other requirements even a whole one for a pig roast!! Hope this gives you the idea.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry do not know how to multi quote so to answer Big Gully and Hillian 1 and others you get

The leg, a very large joint usually for domestic customers this is cut into two, each joint approx 3kg, a good size for a family roast
Steaks x 4 (v. nice)

The sausages and burgers are 100% pork apart from seasoning with no added rubbish. Sausages are natural skins.

In brief

Shoulder joints x 2
Leg joints x 2
Chops x12/14
Steak x 4
Belly/ribs
Sausages 5kg

Obviously if ordered prior to butchering I can discuss other requirements even a whole one for a pig roast!! Hope this gives you the idea.

and what about pork scratchings?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
And in other countries. The harsh reality is that their joe public generally prefer quality over everything else. We are nation which loves a bargain and never sees the bigger picture or the false economy of cheaper goods. Pop into town at the weekend and you will see hundreds of people of all ages buying piles and piles of cheap tat and assorted rubbish from truly appalling shops. I'm not even sure they need half the crap they buy. Do people genuinly see shopping as a regular weekend pastime? It's very very different in mainland europe. It's sad but ultimately it is down to this country, as a whole we deserve everything we get whether good or bad.

that is actually rather well put , although very sad..........i was on very good terms with the fishmonger on broadwater road........he remembered my name for fucksake , even though i only come home every 4 or 5 years.......struggled to make a living ,getting up at 3.30 am to drive to billingsgate twice a week only to turn most of his fish into mince and sell it to the thai take-aways around town rather than bin it and obviously to get some money back on it ....very sad.

Steaks x 4 (v. nice)

In brief

Shoulder joints x 2
Leg joints x 2
Chops x12/14
Steak x 4
Belly/ribs
Sausages 5kg

Cheers for this.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
My dad is a beef farmer. selling directly or via some form of co-operative has to be the way forward to save farming, the problem is he just doesn't have the time or the skills to set up such a venture.
With regards to milk - I try to buy organic in the hope that a higher % goes to the supplier, or at least it shows the supermarkets that I care. Buying direct is very difficult because of the over the top regulation of milk in this country. You can buy whole milk directly from farmers that isn't pastuerised and homogenised (I think thats the right term) however its not easy to get hold of.

As for the obsession with skimmed milk.Whats the point. Full fat milk is what 3% fat? People will drink cheap skimmed milk which offers nothing nutritionally because its low in fat alongside a chocolate bar.

I dispair about the state of this nations eating habits and relationship with food and its supply...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Piltdown, where are you based?

I'v now moved from Piltdown I now live in Mountfield near Battle my Butcher is near Heathfield so from a delivery point of view I'm happy to cover a radius of 10 miles from there or 10 from Battle.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think all the farmers want is a far price for the milk they produce that's all. These supermarkets act like the f**g mafia around producers. "If you sell a drop to someone else, we won't buy from you anymore" knowing full well these dairy farmers won't do this.

The supermarkets have a lot to answer for at the end of the day. Many small businesses have been driven to the wall because of their dominance. They have killed the high street. I remember even in peacehaven we used to have a butchers, bakers, fruit and veg store all gone.

The French do in 2 ways...

a) Protection laws
For example in France you are not allowed to have a bakery inside a supermarket

b) The French care more about food than the British. A lot of us just see food as a means to an end. In France its part of their culture and identity

On the subject of milk, if everyone started to get milk from their milkman again the farmers might have a chance. But all the big supermarkets just treat milk as a loss leader and know cost item. Interestingly, Sainsburys are leading the way and have a clear policy on paying a fair price for milk.
Only consumer pressure and behaviour will change the big guys, or they will just keep using the age old excuses "we're only giving the consumer what they want". Either that, or soon you're be buying milk that says product of EU, could come from Romania or whoever is the cheapest..

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
b) The French care more about food than the British. A lot of us just see food as a means to an end. In France its part of their culture and identity
On a skiing holiday I was charged with cooking the evening meal for the group - a spag bol is good for large numbers and is nice and filling. With nothing in the supermarket I went to the butchers and in my pidgeon French asked for some mince, and watched as he took these beautiful slabs of steak and put them through the mincer. It was pricey - but delicious!

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London

Steaks x 4 (v. nice)

In brief

Shoulder joints x 2
Leg joints x 2
Chops x12/14
Steak x 4
Belly/ribs
Sausages 5kg

Pilt - how much for a whole pig for a hog roast?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The French do in 2 ways...

a) Protection laws
For example in France you are not allowed to have a bakery inside a supermarket.

And you just know that there will be outrage in the UK if any government suggested doing similar.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I do think the countryside need to sort out their act though. I am all for fair trade for farmers and I support the other struggles which affect the countryside but the only issue which has seriously united and mobilised the rural folk over the past decade of so is fox hunting. This has had the effect of dividing support though.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here