Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dairy Farming in the UK gradually being destroyed...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
£100 Plus prep cost (depends how you want it approx.£15)

I'm bang up for this. Will you have pigs for sale in the middle of September (is there a pig season?)

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I try to buy as little as possible from the supermarkets, I use a local farm shop and my milk is delivered to my doorstep.

For me supermarkets are for "manufactured" food and goods such as washing powder etc.

Many people are impressed by my efforts and dedication and say they will also give it a go but in reality never do.

For me I like driving (soon to be cycling) to the farm shop, parking 10 metres from the door, leaving my car unlocked and being in and out in about 5 minutes.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
As an aside I do think the countryside need to sort out their act though. I am all for fair trade for farmers and I support the other struggles which affect the countryside but the only issue which has seriously united and mobilised the rural folk over the past decade of so is fox hunting. This has had the effect of dividing support though.

Its a difficult subject, its ones perspective on rural folk. There's many like me that do not support fox hunting but understand why it can be deemed important to rural enterprise. Many very low paid people survive due to it. Then there's the people who do it, many so called rurals who have no idea about rural life at all. Problem is too many non-rural people have bought in the countryside and either cherrypick their activities to suit their image or attempt to change it to meet their image. Not really passing comment on hunting but I have had to fight to get my farm going due to these people.

I'll show a few complaints about a field shelter I wanted to build:
This is from the council report from locals who complained on the planning website.

Turned into suburbia

Will Council therefore use the powers at its disposal under this legislation
to discourage Countryside desecration & promote conservation of natural
beauty in its unadulterated form as AONB designation is intended to in this
Entrance padlocked galvanised gates

This objection is purely made on the basis of principle

So called smallholding is not a viable agricultural enterprise

This property was an agricultural field 6 months ago with nothing on it.

Does the area need another farm?

All these complaints come from people none of which actually work or are involved with any rural businesses but have bought their picture postcard properties, extended them beyond the reach of true locals and than attempt to change our way of life. GRRRrrrrrrr..................

A friend who farms cows for beef had a new neighbour move in. Within a week they complained about the smell and the early morning noise from the animals. He proceeded to muck spread the hedge adjoining the two properties not just the once!!! They moved.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I try to buy as little as possible from the supermarkets, I use a local farm shop and my milk is delivered to my doorstep.

For me supermarkets are for "manufactured" food and goods such as washing powder etc.

Many people are impressed by my efforts and dedication and say they will also give it a go but in reality never do.

Yup. Luckily the town centre now has a few little places knocking around to buy excellent fresh produce much cheaper (and tastier) than the supermarkets. Still get the odd bits from Sainos (potatoes, frozen veg and the odd onion here and there) but most of my food at home is from the butchers or the food market on North Road (open saturdays). Hopefully the new Open Market will be a huge success.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I'm in Horsham (although I rarely go into the town to shop) and I heard last week that the Country Produce butcher / deli has closed down :(

I must support the newish fish shop which is also in the Carfax.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm bang up for this. Will you have pigs for sale in the middle of September (is there a pig season?)

I'll have some ready for then pm me. They will be 7 months old then, so will be approx 55kg. I do not like selling them too young. And no there's not a season for pigs they breed all year round.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Sorry do not know how to multi quote so to answer Big Gully and Hillian 1 and others you get

The leg, a very large joint usually for domestic customers this is cut into two, each joint approx 3kg, a good size for a family roast
The shoulder, effectively as above
Belly pork as a whole, 1/2, or strips all de-boned or can be done as ribs
Approx. 12/14 large boned chops
Steaks x 4 (v. nice)
Fillet- small but the most tender- a real treat but never enough!
Approx 5kg sausages I currently do Lincolnshire, Cumberland or plain.
Approx 2kg bacon burgers.

The sausages and burgers are 100% pork apart from seasoning with no added rubbish. Sausages are natural skins.

In brief

Shoulder joints x 2
Leg joints x 2
Chops x12/14
Steak x 4
Belly/ribs
Sausages 5kg
burgers 2kg ==================1/2 a pig

Obviously if ordered prior to butchering I can discuss other requirements even a whole one for a pig roast!! Hope this gives you the idea.

Interesting, veeeeery interesting.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I think all the farmers want is a far price for the milk they produce that's all. These supermarkets act like the f**g mafia around producers. "If you sell a drop to someone else, we won't buy from you anymore" knowing full well these dairy farmers won't do this.

The supermarkets have a lot to answer for at the end of the day. Many small businesses have been driven to the wall because of their dominance. They have killed the high street. I remember even in peacehaven we used to have a butchers, bakers, fruit and veg store all gone.

These small businesses still seem to survive in France, I don't know how they do it but they do.

Has Shoebridges gone now then

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Sorry do not know how to multi quote so to answer Big Gully and Hillian 1 and others you get

The leg, a very large joint usually for domestic customers this is cut into two, each joint approx 3kg, a good size for a family roast
The shoulder, effectively as above
Belly pork as a whole, 1/2, or strips all de-boned or can be done as ribs
Approx. 12/14 large boned chops
Steaks x 4 (v. nice)
Fillet- small but the most tender- a real treat but never enough!
Approx 5kg sausages I currently do Lincolnshire, Cumberland or plain.
Approx 2kg bacon burgers.

The sausages and burgers are 100% pork apart from seasoning with no added rubbish. Sausages are natural skins.

In brief

Shoulder joints x 2
Leg joints x 2
Chops x12/14
Steak x 4
Belly/ribs
Sausages 5kg
burgers 2kg ==================1/2 a pig

Obviously if ordered prior to butchering I can discuss other requirements even a whole one for a pig roast!! Hope this gives you the idea.

f*** me! just going to check out where i can buy a massive f*** off freezer from, and where i can store it, and will be pm'ing you soon i hope,
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........pig..........:mad::drool:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
As in you want some?

Yeah quite possibly. It's not something I'd ever really considered and to be honest wouldn't have made the effort to seek out this kind of thing, but as it's been written down in terms that I can understand it suddenly looks like a good idea as I do like good quality produce and I love bacon, sausages and ribs so would happily pay a bit extra to know where it came from.

My only problem would be storage and length it would keep. I'll run it by a few mates at the weekend and see if anyone fancies going halves with me.

Can the bacon burgers be cut into usual sized bacon rashers?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Can the bacon burgers be cut into usual sized bacon rashers?

No the bacon burgers are just that, burgers.

I maybe misled with the term bacon sorry, that's what their known as.

Bacon itself is derived from pork in a curing process. At present I am unable to offer bacon rashers but this time next year will. I'm investing in a processing kitchen and will be able to produce bacon, ham smoked or unsmoked alas that's the future. Due to a lot of extra time and effort plus cost the cost of 1/2 a pig will be higher to those who require it. The 1/2 pig I offer at present is purely butchered (including the sausages etc)

As an aside it is possible for anyone to turn a joint of pork into ham or bacon by following the procedure.http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/food/food-processing/making-bacon/

Oh the pork will keep 6 months easily in a good freezer

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I haven't read all this thread but wanted to stick in my two penneth.

Supermarkets are the same In Australia, my wife grew up on a beef farm in a dairy area. The supermarkets have been squeezing their suppliers for years. In fact last week safeway told their suppliers that they had to reduce their prices by 10% and the savings would not be passed on to the customer. The thing that really irriates me is that the supermarket PR sshows them as the farmers best friend, buying the freshest food for our benefit. They make me sick!

We use the supermarkets as little as possible and get our milk delivered through Aussie Farmers Direct. I would love everyone to boycott supermarkets and force them to start trading in a responsible manner.

Piltdown man I am loving your work of bringing fresh meat direct to the people. The steak from my in laws farm tastes like nothing else I have ever tasted. Farmed fresh and chemical free on grass, then butchered and frozen on the premises. Absolutely beautiful! I think too many of us have forgotten how food should taste, Supermarket fruit and veg is like a lite version of proper food.

Seek it out people and f*** the supermarkets!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I haven't read all this thread but wanted to stick in my two penneth.

Supermarkets are the same In Australia, my wife grew up on a beef farm in a dairy area. The supermarkets have been squeezing their suppliers for years. In fact last week safeway told their suppliers that they had to reduce their prices by 10% and the savings would not be passed on to the customer. The thing that really irriates me is that the supermarket PR sshows them as the farmers best friend, buying the freshest food for our benefit. They make me sick!

We use the supermarkets as little as possible and get our milk delivered through Aussie Farmers Direct. I would love everyone to boycott supermarkets and force them to start trading in a responsible manner.

Piltdown man I am loving your work of bringing fresh meat direct to the people. The steak from my in laws farm tastes like nothing else I have ever tasted. Farmed fresh and chemical free on grass, then butchered and frozen on the premises. Absolutely beautiful! I think too many of us have forgotten how food should taste, Supermarket fruit and veg is like a lite version of proper food.

Seek it out people and f*** the supermarkets!

Thank you.

The thing is I'm doing it because I believe in the local market.

As time moves, on the past becomes more relevant.

Many people are revisiting the old ways and are finding they worked. Small rural businesses selling locally cutting out the middleman are succeeding, land under used due to some stupid EU schemes are beginning to produce again. This has to be good for environment, the producer and the consumer. Better quality products on your doorstep.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Thank you.

The thing is I'm doing it because I believe in the local market.

As time moves, on the past becomes more relevant.

Many people are revisiting the old ways and are finding they worked. Small rural businesses selling locally cutting out the middleman are succeeding, land under used due to some stupid EU schemes are beginning to produce again. This has to be good for environment, the producer and the consumer. Better quality products on your doorstep.

Lots of this happening here too. People buying organic produce from local producers, it is a wonderful thing and will hopefully stop the spread of feed lots and intensive farming in it's tracks.

Proper food for people is a dream of mine.

Market economics - not clueless. If someone is willing to sell for 16p (which they obv are) then why would the supermarket buy at a higher price?

Maybe you would prefer the state intervenes and fixes a price? If this happened, there would be no investment, the consumer (you) would get poor value and we might as well paint a hammer and sickle on the union jack.
It was state intervention and guaranteed prices that transformed the British farming industry after WW1 (and even more after WW2). Without it, we would be stuck with a countryside fit for no-one and be totally dependent on imported produce.

We could well be returning to that state.

The "market economics" that some posters are talking about is nothing more than the short-term profiteering of the powerful major retailers. They have as much interest in the public good as the bankers do.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
How much would it cost to have a hog roast service? I've come across a few at weddings/birthdays. Would it cost a whole lot extra for you to guy the equipment and cut out the middle man?

Its something I'm looking into, renting out the equipment and supplying the pig. A decent hog roaster (one built to withstand hiring out) is in the region of £2500.

As far as "doing" the roast at events, yes can be good money, but would mean dividing my time which may not work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here